New Shoes for the 78

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, May 10, 2013, 19:08 (4160 days ago)
edited by Sarge, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 12:30

I’m generally pretty utilitarian when it comes to guns. Give me a few necessities on a rifle, like sights, a recoil pad and sling swivels and I’m happy. Those last two items were missing from my new/old 78. So I set about gathering the needed components and cobbling them into place. A decent recoil pad is 30 bucks these days and a proper set of studs run about 13 more. Cost of doing business. But I recalled seeing a nice ADL stock in a local gun shop and I stopped in for a second look at it.

It was pert near new and it already had the factory pad and sling studs mounted. It was even the right action length and it had the satin finish I prefer. They had $110 on it but I swapped the original stock and an old Lyman 66A I had laying around, so I’ve got about half that in it. It fit the action better than the original and spiffed the old gun up a bit. I guess it’s a Model 78 ADL now, LOL.

[image]

I tuned the trigger down to 3 ½ pounds with no over-travel. I’m in the process of building Peggi a reduced recoil 30-06 load and the first effort was 49 grains of H4895 under Sierra’s 125 grain ‘Pro Hunter’ for 2805 fps. This rifle put the first three in 1 ¾” at 196 yards and continued shooting that well or better, long as I didn’t screw it up. This is proving to be one of the better 30-06’s I’ve had the pleasure to own.

New Shoes for the 78

by woody, Friday, May 10, 2013, 19:49 (4160 days ago) @ Sarge

I like it. The new stock looks good. What caliber?

30-06

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, May 10, 2013, 19:52 (4160 days ago) @ woody

nm

Good lookin rifle.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 10, 2013, 20:19 (4160 days ago) @ Sarge

Still my one of my favorite calibers.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

XS imbedded aperture sight base

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 08:13 (4159 days ago) @ Sarge

I'm considering the XS aperture, which is embedded in a Weaver-style mount for 700 rifles. It's 65 bucks but it'd probably save you that much in ammo over the years. The only time you see it is when the scope comes off and there it is, all zeroed and ready to use. Just set it and forget it.

Anybody using one of these?

[image]
http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=2892.0

Not that particular one -

by John K., Saturday, May 11, 2013, 08:45 (4159 days ago) @ Sarge

I have a Warne rear base with peep sight on my 35 WAI. Put it on there when I built the gun 25yrs ago, but I have never used it in the field. Spent a good chunk of money on the Warne bases, Warne QD rings, and NECG band front sight with interchangeable blades. It is an excellent idea in concept, but...

The Leupold M8-6x Heavy Duplex has never moved off zero. That's 25yrs of fair recoil, bouncing around in jeeps and atvs and a lot of temperature transitions. There's a lesson here somewhere; however, I can't decide if it is "buy good optics and mounts" or "the only time you need a backup plan is when you don't have one".

John K.

I'm with you on the good glass & mounts, John...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 10:55 (4159 days ago) @ John K.

I just can't bring myself to keep a rifle around unless it has irons on it, zeroed for 200 yards. Figured the XS was small enough to sit under a scope w/medium rings, which I can use with the ADL cheek-piece.

Thanks for your input.

Nothing wrong with that - I wish more shooters would

by John K., Saturday, May 11, 2013, 18:14 (4159 days ago) @ Sarge

at least take the time to learn irons properly. Not to mention field shooting positions and sling... instead of a moonscope and bench.

RSS Feed of thread