There are still deals out there.

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 19:02 (4161 days ago)
edited by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 20:46

I found this unconverted OM .22 LR single six today at Cabelas for $139 + tax. It appeared to have been stored in a holster and had some surface rust. Most came off without hurting the blueing, But there are a couple of small areas with light pitting. It doesn't appear to have been fired much. I couldn't believe the tag. When I saw the rust up close i knew most would come easily off. Hopefully it shoots good.

[image]

[image]

That's a beauty . . .

by Kentucky, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 19:46 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

. . . and you got a heckuva deal.

Congrats on a great steal.

;-)

Hubba hubba.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 19:57 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

Makes you wonder who was in charge of pricing that day.

Awesome! nm

by cubrock, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 19:57 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

nm

Hubba hubba.

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 20:48 (4161 days ago) @ Andrew

My thoughts exactly. They have several OMs in the cabinet, some were in rougher shape than this one is after the 10 minute clean up. I think the next cheapest one was $399.

That's a beauty . . .

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 20:49 (4161 days ago) @ Kentucky

Thanks, I thought so too. I figure it was converted and broke for a price like that. When the guy pulled the hammer back I could see it was original. If it would have had an XR3 on it It would be perfect.

Awesome! nm

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 20:51 (4161 days ago) @ cubrock

Some of your luck must be heading this way. I haven't seen a deal like that in a long time.

I got an OM 357 for $100 once,

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 21:38 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

looked like it had been in the bottom of a bucket of rusty bolts. I traded it off to a buddy who worked it over with a Swiss file for many many hours. He had it blued, and it turned out looking like new. Wish I had the patience for such a project.

Truly amazing

by FOG, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 21:46 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

And one heck of a find.

Congrats! :-)

--
[image]

Its tough to beat that Jared. But I am afraid I can...

by Fermin Garza, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 21:46 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

You see I was chatting with a close friend and brother and he announced he is sending me an OMSS!!! Still, it's good that you rescued that one and gave it a fantastic home. I know you are a rabid Single Six fan like myself and sure hope it turns out to be a tackdriver!!!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 22:02 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

Way to go !! Great deal....looks good to me

Sweet! I paid $61 in 'hay money' for one of those...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 22:12 (4161 days ago) @ Jared

in 1971 ;) Had to get my Dad to 'sign for it'.

I got an OM 357 for $100 once,

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 22:14 (4161 days ago) @ Andrew

I have so many projects lined up I don't think I will ever get through. Usually by the time I get one finished three more pop up in que. it is amazing what can be accomplished with a little patience

Truly amazing

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 22:15 (4161 days ago) @ FOG

sad thing is they gave someone, what $50-75 for it.

Its tough to beat that Jared. But I am afraid I can...

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 22:22 (4161 days ago) @ Fermin Garza

A gift like that cant be beat.

I am a sucker for them. There are a pile of Single Sixes in the safe. Anytime I see one for a good price it is hard to resist.

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 22:23 (4161 days ago) @ Cherokee

I need to get out and shoot it now.

Sweet! I paid $61 in 'hay money' for one of those...

by Jared, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 22:25 (4161 days ago) @ Sarge

I bet that $61 was much harder to get than this. What am I saying any "hay money" is hard earned no matter what. we use to do that in the summers and it is WORK.

Maybe less!

by Otony, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 23:41 (4160 days ago) @ Jared

Fellow walked into the pawn shop today with a VERY early Remington 700 in 30-06. It had rust evident in more than a few places but was basically just miserably dirty.

He asked for 70 bucks, not in pawn, but to sell it to us! The boss said "Sure" at which point the fellow suggested we give him 75 bucks. Nope, you offered it for 70, that is what you get, or take it else where.

So, 70 bucks and one hour of elbow grease later, we have a clean 700, replete with paddle safety, short shroud, checkered aluminum buttplate, early checkering, the whole nine yards. We wait 30 days to see if it turns up stolen then it goes onto the rack. In this case, we will likely price it at around 325 due to some cosmetic blue issues, but it is what it is, a solid '06 with a good bore and desirable early features. And as the boss said, if he spent an hour cleaning it himself, we would have gladly given him three times his asking price.

You would be surprised at what folks accept dollar-wise for their guns..........
Otony

Its important to keep "accumulating" them. First, many

by Fermin Garza, Friday, May 10, 2013, 05:17 (4160 days ago) @ Jared

of them do need to be given a good home. Second, they make WONDERFUL gifts! 3rd, every once in awhile, you come across one that is an absolute tackdriver...

Looking at Ruger's site and the serial number....

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:38 (4160 days ago) @ Jared

Looks like that one was a Magnum originally.

Looking at Ruger's site and the serial number....

by Jared, Friday, May 10, 2013, 08:11 (4160 days ago) @ Andrew

I noticed that too, the cylinder is definantly a LR cylinder it fits and matches the rest of the revolver perfectly, this isn't the first Magnum range SS that I have seen with a LR cylinder only. No telling the history behind this one.

I have a another OM magnum single six that is marked .22 magnum on the frame. Bowen did some work to it and fitted a LR cylinder while he was at it.

Exactly.

by Jared, Friday, May 10, 2013, 08:15 (4160 days ago) @ Fermin Garza

I have two or three that will shoot right there with my K22. I keep toying with sending a drift adjustable OM to Alan at some point to turn into a .32 magnum. I really like the drift adjustable sights.

THAT is great!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 10, 2013, 12:49 (4160 days ago) @ Jared

.:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

My thinking for one of those is what a great platform

by Fermin Garza, Friday, May 10, 2013, 15:41 (4160 days ago) @ Jared

for one of the flip up 2 blade rear sights.....

That is a great idea.

by Jared, Friday, May 10, 2013, 17:09 (4160 days ago) @ Fermin Garza

There is this retired guy in Corpus that should make a batch of them.

Do you still have ony of those custom single six front sights?

It's likely a 1968 gun . . .

by Kentucky, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 09:00 (4159 days ago) @ Jared

. . . and yes, it was also likely a convertible.

Still, a nice find . . . and an EXCEPTIONAL price.

;-)

I only 'know' one Cabela's − and just one thing about it

by FOG, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 07:28 (4158 days ago) @ Jared

The only Cabela's I've ever been to was nothing more than a box store. Moreover, the staff in the so-called 'Gun Library' belonged there.

That was just the first time I had a chance to see how they do business. The second time, just a month ago, I was unable to make it, and according to my friend who did go, I didn't miss a thing.

Cabela's is probably the last place on earth I would try to sell a gun. In addition, while deals might be had there, I won't have any of them.

I feel the exact same way about Walmart, et BLEEPING al...

I would much rather support LGSs, even if I have to pay more.

Just proof, I suppose, that I *am* one of the Last Of The Dinosaurs.

[image]

--
[image]

I try to support my local shops but it can be very difficult

by Jared, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 09:44 (4158 days ago) @ FOG

Years ago I had a shop that I bought nearly everything at, was friends with most of the staff, and generally went there just to hang out. I have moved several times since then and have yet to find a shop with that atmosphere. Most shops I have been to lately can be placed in one of three categories .

1) they cater almost exclusively to the black rifle/glock crowd and have very little of interest to me.

2) it is a SMALL shop with nothing of interest , except for some old cheap crap priced double or more what it is worth.

3) the shop specializes in "collector" type guns and try to sell them all on Gunbroker or Auction Arms, and in the store they price them at their
"buy it now" price or higher, and won't reduce the price any because they saw an much nicer example sell on Gunbroker 3 years ago for almost what they are asking for theirs.

All of the above mentioned carry no reloading conponents, or of they do it is a box or two of primers and maybe 5# of powder. Their staff couldn't load a cartridge if you handed them a set up turret press and the components. I have actually had a shop tell me they stopped carrying components because "their customers weren't smart enough to load their own ammo" .

I have more than I need by far, so unless it is something i have wanted for a long time, rarely will I pay anywhere near retail on a gun. I enjoy finding a deal more than anything. The Cabelas in this area charge near retail for new guns , but there are good deals to be found in the Gun Library. I try to go at least once a week and you never know what you will find. There are a couple of guys that work there that some of the local shops would be lucky to have. In the last few years I have found stuff like a $199 Model 10 in decent shape, a $229 2" model 34-1, the above single six. I have got a couple of .32 mags in the $350 range. I have also bought a bunch of Leupold scopes that were displays for about half retail.

I agree it can be very difficult

by FOG, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 17:12 (4158 days ago) @ Jared

Gun shops are not generally noted for having the most friendly people working the counters, and some really take the cake (like your example of the guy who said his customers were too stupid to reload).

I think we've probably all run into those types before.

I also have to admit that the vast majority of my gun purchases since about 2000 were only transfers as far as the LGS was concerned. However, those were all 'collector' guns; none were new-production or currently available; the few new firearms I purchased during that period were all acquired at small shops.

I've also purchased ammo in box stores, if only because the LGS dropped the ball and forgot to order any. Sometimes, the bare shelves would persist for weeks, and one can only take so much.

Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother trying, but I still do. I suppose it's little more than nostalgia anymore. Nothing is like it used be, and that includes the LGS.

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread