The Single-Loop Summer Special: A Pictorial 'Essay'

by FOG, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 06:16 (4161 days ago)
edited by FOG, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 09:31

(SPG edit, Misc corrections)

Cooper On Handguns, p. 93 (aka, 'The Red Book', 1975 Edition)
[image]
Comments: Milt Sparks Summer Special @ Top Left

Cooper On Handguns, p. 96 (aka, 'The Red Book', 1975 Edition)
[image]
Comments: Dig the belt, Man

Now (L) & Then (R): Matt Del Fatti ISP (Behlert Govt Model) & Milt Sparks Summer Special (Nastoff Combat Commander)
[image]
Comments: Reflecting their times, the loop on the Del Fatti is 1½", the loop on the Idaho City-vintage Sparks, 1¾"

:usa:

--
[image]

The Single-Loop Summer Special: A Pictorial 'Essay'

by BobM, Ohio, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 19:35 (4161 days ago) @ FOG

I found a copy of the Red Book while cleaning out my grandpa's garage after he passed.

The Summer Special II is my favorite carry holster; I have one for any pistol I carry frequently.

I used a Summer Special II for a while to carry a CCO

by FOG, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 05:28 (4158 days ago) @ BobM

The OACP-length grip on the Colt Gunsite CCO was just short enough to allow me to get away with it...most of the time.

It was the other 25% or so that led me to sell the whole works...

If I have to carry a gun I can't conceal, it might as well be a real one, and for me that means 'Government Model'.

[image]

Somewhat self-contradictory, I know, but there it is...

:-D

--
[image]

Some may scoff but...

by rob @, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 20:24 (4161 days ago) @ FOG

This is what the Summer Special should have been;) Not as pretty but its less bulky, more comfy and protects skin from gun and gun from sweat. I've had both and settled on these Blackhawk!'s. [image][image]

Scoff, schmoff...

by FOG, Friday, May 10, 2013, 03:08 (4160 days ago) @ rob

'LOL' is more like it.

:-D

--
[image]

Scoff, schmoff...

by rob @, Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:41 (4160 days ago) @ FOG

There is no doubt these aren't as pretty as the SP but I've used them (the summer Special) for both 1911's and the 92FS. I could not get away with hiding either gun on the right hip without it being very obvious I was packing. With the Blackhawk! I can carry either on the right hip or, my preference, appendix IWB. They are much more comfortable and get the gun deeper. Some people say you can't carry a full size 1911, especially appendix IWB but I can with that holster and its easy and comfortable and 100% invisible AND its accessible while sitting in a car or truck without without doing gymnastics. As a side note, my 4" GP100 fits in the 1911 holster perfectly and I can carry it in either method as well. I never understood the Summer Special as it worked just fine as long as the user wears a coat but with cargo shorts and a t-shirt not so much...at least not for me. I gotta go with function over style but there is no doubt the BNSP is one of the prettiest holsters for daily carry, especially in the horse hide variants.

And on the 'summer' note...

by rob @, Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:52 (4160 days ago) @ FOG

I've packed a 1911 more and longer than any other gun and living in TX and working outside/in a shop, the one thing I've learned about doing so is you're gonna sweat, it's gonna get under the left grip panel and inside and under the plunger tube and safety lever and no matter how much Ballistol I went through or tried to keep up with it I was always flushing rust out of those areas. Same with under the grips on stainless revolvers. For me, I will never carry in the summer again without the leather protecting the gun from sweat. That little bit of thin leather does not add any bulk to the holster and protects both gun and user. The only drawback might be it doesn't "look" as sleek and when reholstering you may have to push it back with the thumb while reholstering but you can still reholster with one hand. Anyhow, I'll go back in my cave now:)

To tell the truth, the Summer Special has its limitations

by FOG, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 04:56 (4158 days ago) @ rob

All holsters do, first and foremost being, 'To each his own.'

In my case, I can't really hide a 1911 or Commander in a Summer Special, at least not to my satisfaction.

Not, anyway, for anything more than 'casual' carry (for example, on the 'range').

If I have to bend over or stretch to reach something, the gun is likely to print or show. That simply is 'no good' in real life, out in public.

Actually, I feel this is an inherent 'problem' with FBI-style carry. It really only works for me with short-gripped guns, and even then there are better options (for example, a J-frame IWB in the appendix position).

I understand others have carried 1911s and many other large guns in Summer Specials for something like 40 years with no problems. I just can't do it, at least not discreetly enough to satisfy me, so I don't.

--
[image]

A great step forward in it's day. I carried a pair of em

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 10, 2013, 00:12 (4160 days ago) @ FOG

r&n L hand with Commanders for a few years. Old trick with the left hand one is to place it under the belt outside the pants over the back pocket. it needs a long coat to hide a 1911, but it is a quick draw with either right or left hand.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I wanted one since I first read Cooper back in High School

by FOG, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 04:58 (4158 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

And I have two now, so I'm all set. :-D

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread