Heavy metal

by Glen, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 12:31 (4163 days ago)
edited by Glen, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 13:10

For Sale: NEI bullet mould that drops a 365 grain ogival wadcutter for the .44 Magnum. The bullet is shown here sized and lubed, and loaded into a .44 Magnum case. An excellent thumper for up close and personal thumping (e.g. big hogs in heavy brush). $80 shipped.

[image]

Marlin

by AaronB, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 13:57 (4163 days ago) @ Glen

I sure wish a .444 Marlin would stabilize these. That would be the Hammer of Thor indeed.

-AaronB

It would be worth a try....

by Byron, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 14:58 (4163 days ago) @ AaronB

It is not bullet weight but length that determines if a specific twist will stabilize a specific bullet.

The big slug is short for its weight. I would give it a try.

Byron

I believe the new Marlins....

by Glen, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 15:12 (4163 days ago) @ AaronB

...are coming with 1 in 20" twist barrels, which should work (if it is pushed fast enough). That being said, I am sure that the long nose/ogive of this bullet is incompatible with the factory .444 Marlin throat (and it probably leads to a OAL that is too long to cycle through the lever-gun's action). However, a .444 Encore could be interesting....

Seating depth

by AaronB, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 15:22 (4163 days ago) @ Glen

In a .444 case it would be simple enough to shorten the OAL by seating the bullet more deeply into the case. Just roll-crimp into the side of the bullet nose, and away you go. Yes, it would eat up some case capacity, but I bet you could still have a MOST impressive loading.

-AaronB

by Byron, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 17:49 (4163 days ago) @ AaronB

The guy that shot to Indian Water Buffalo last weekend had a Marlin .444 that he loaded with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo in addition to the .416 that he used on the Buff. He told me the case was a bit shorter than the spec .444 case to allow for the longer pointed bullet. I do not know if this is true...he was a good guy...but still full of a bunch of it...if you know what I mean.

http://www.hornady.com/store/444-Marlin-265-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

Anyway, the big 405 gr Beartooth bullet is even heavier, proven, works and should deliver as much penetration as needed for anything short of an up armored 7 ton.

https://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Byron

RSS Feed of thread