does anybody know what this tool is?

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 14:59 (4165 days ago)

[image]Found this at an estate sale today. I am guessing it is some sort of fishing tool.

does anybody know what this tool is?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 19:05 (4165 days ago) @ Andrew

There is a Powhatan drive in my small neighborhood. I was giving directions to an old sprinkler fitter buddy of mine and when I mentioned that street name he said there used to be a company that made sprinkler heads and other fittings for their trade named Powhatan. I'm a plumber and haven't ever heard of them so it may have been some specialized stuff.

Powhatan was the name of the Indian chief near Jamestown

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 20:05 (4165 days ago) @ Slow Hand

when John Smith and the gang got there in 1607.

This thing is a give-away promotional from Pow-Ha-Tan Cigars. Can't find anything about the cigar company, let alone what the heck this thing was designed for. It looks to have a line cutter, and 2 small hammer heads. Thus my thought that it was a piece of fishing gear.

The two tongs....

by Glen, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 20:39 (4165 days ago) @ Andrew

...and handle make it look like a wrench for removing a slotted flange, like those found on pop-up sprinkler heads.

You guys are killing my theory.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 20:46 (4165 days ago) @ Glen

But what could it have to do with cigars?

Could it be a cigar stand of sorts?

by cas, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 20:47 (4165 days ago) @ Andrew

To lay your cigar on without it rolling away?

Ahhhh, maybe.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 20:56 (4165 days ago) @ cas

The notch cut into the short end may have me on a false trail. It looks perfect for cutting fishing line. The rounded bits look like they could be used to mash a small sinker onto a line.

I laid a cigar on it, it kind of works to hold it. I don't think that is quite it though.

As seen in the *old* movies

by FOG, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 21:44 (4165 days ago) @ Andrew
edited by FOG, Monday, May 06, 2013, 08:11

(SPG Edit)

I don't smoke cigars, so I don't know the language, but that tool is for 'drilling' a small hole in the end of a cigar, presumably so you can more easily draw smoke through it.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Also, it turns out the projections are a 'dbl pipe tamper'

by FOG, Monday, May 06, 2013, 03:55 (4164 days ago) @ FOG
edited by FOG, Monday, May 06, 2013, 08:12

(SPG Edit)

Those had me stumped for a while, but I got something to eat, thought about it some more, and decided to check eBay.

eBay is great for stuff like this, as is Googe Image Search (advanced version). Both give visual results, which are often much easier and faster to digest.

Anyway, I searched eBay for cigar tool, and this item was second on the hit list:

Antique George Bancroft Clear Havana Cigars Hermance Havana Cigar Co, N. Y. Tool

According to the seller, the projections are "a double pipe tamper".

That sounds reasonable to me.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Well now, there you go. Thanks! NM

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Monday, May 06, 2013, 06:22 (4164 days ago) @ FOG

You're welcome

by FOG, Monday, May 06, 2013, 09:55 (4164 days ago) @ Andrew

:-)

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread