Another Remington Model 78

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 03:12 (4165 days ago)

Recent developments in ammo availability, reloading considerations and MDOC’s adoption of Antler Point Restrictions all came together and I decided it was time to take a look at my rifle battery. The only thing I really needed was a full-snort centerfire hunting rifle with some glass on it.

Nearly 20 years ago, I traded into a Remington Model 78 ‘Sportsman’ 30-06. The way I use a rifle, the Model 78 is perfect for me. I need a rifle that can stand hard service; but I dislike the current crop of sightless, synthetic-stocked centerfires.

I was blissfully happy with that 78 until the fateful day when my wife wanted to shoot it. She clobbered gallon jugs at 200 yards with it and fell immediately in love. Lacking a recoil pad, it walloped her pretty hard, so I cut the stock to fit her with the best Decelerator pad then available. She still loves it; but when I shoot it I get a thumb knuckle in the schnozz. It’s just too short for me now.

I cruised auction houses, pawn shops and gun shops looking for another 78/06, to no avail. Then in the last month, our local outdoor market produces TWO of them. One had the dark stock, which I like, and it also had the better scope- a very clear old Bushnell Sportsman 4x12 with the parallax-adjustable objective. So that’s the one I bought, for a little less than a sightless WalMart plastic rifle and a bubble packed scope. I hurried home and ran five rounds through it. No mechanical problems surfaced, though the trigger could use a little TLC.

[image]

Range report when the monsoons stop.

That's a classic

by FOG, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 03:33 (4165 days ago) @ Sarge

Utility with Class is a tough act to beat.

On short stocks, I used to roll my Steyr Scout with the spacers removed and just the thin factory pad in place, leaving a LOP of about 12½ inches.

After a bit of acclimation, I found the short stock much more user-friendly.

To keep my thumb from whacking my oversized schnozz, I'd just lay my thumb on the strong side of the grip, the contour and curvature of which I somethimes thought must have been designed to be grasped in exactly that manner.

This worked for me, but it might not be the answer for everyone. Just an eye-dear. :-)

--
[image]

Plain jane but still a Rem 700 at heart.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 11:12 (4165 days ago) @ Sarge

I am snapping up every old 30-06 or 308 I can find. They seem to be vanishing and are replaced with plastic...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The 78's were not drilled/tapped for a receiver sight...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 13:41 (4165 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

but I am told the later 700's weren't, either. Not a big deal to me because we usually run a scope on these. I have an old Williams Guide that fits the 700/78, anyhow.

First efforts...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 16:08 (4165 days ago) @ Sarge

During the function check I noted a couple of cracked case necks; but the load is a warm one and I recalled thinking that batch of cases was nearing the end of their useful life. I picked up a box of 150 grain Winchester Power Points to use as a standard. There were no cracked necks with the factory load and 100 yard accuracy is promising. If it’ll hold just over an inch with random hunting ammo, I’ll be able to live with this old rifle just fine.

[image]

I seemed to be fighting the trigger...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 19:33 (4165 days ago) @ Sarge

on this one, so when I got back home I put the RCBS Scale to it. It averaged 5 1/2 pounds for five pulls, so it will get some TLC when the stock comes off to mount a Decelerator pad & front swivel.

I set the trigger on Peggi's 78 at 3 1/4 pounds and Loctited the screws. I checked it while I had the scale out and it hasn't changed, after six years of use.

RSS Feed of thread