from Harry Sanford's estate: amazing!

by cable, Friday, May 03, 2013, 11:08 (4167 days ago)

WOW & yes, amazing!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 03, 2013, 11:09 (4167 days ago) @ cable

very crisp looks like it was made yesterday 1911.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

WOW!

by Glen, Friday, May 03, 2013, 11:18 (4167 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

How much do you think that 1911 is going to bring? $10K?

WOW! probably close! the 1902 is somehow the most

by cable, Friday, May 03, 2013, 11:19 (4167 days ago) @ Glen

elegant thing, isnt it?

Hate to say it but...

by cas, Friday, May 03, 2013, 15:50 (4167 days ago) @ cable

They're not doing Harry much good now. Makes you rethink safe queens and collections.

Your life's work and accumulation becomes nothing more than a pile of stuff for others to figure out what to do with.
After several years I'm STILL selling off the stuff of two friends who passed. It sheds a different light on things. :-(

A freind's hoard has kept three of us occupied for hours

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Friday, May 03, 2013, 16:52 (4167 days ago) @ cas

now beyond counting. A safe full of guns: SxS doubles [gone], all the related paraphernalia,[mostly gone] and still to go....there are several hundred GOOD books [list not completed yet], a 2 1/2 garage shop, and the eternal besiegement by every gun-hound who ever knew or heard of the guy -- just wanting a 'remembrance for free'. We think it'll never happen, and in fact he went into 'care' quite cheerfully, unaware of the changes in his life.

The good side is that his items have been appreciated and sought after and that at least one grey-ing generation will remember him. And of course, the irony: none of the three of us, are exactly monks with begging bowls -- regarding personal outdoors goods. "Working on it, Boss."

periodically Great NOrthern Guns, here , will have a sudden

by cable, Friday, May 03, 2013, 18:09 (4167 days ago) @ John Meeker
edited by cable, Friday, May 03, 2013, 18:12

influx of high quality collectors pieces and at the same time the tables there will have old and unusual reloading components, etc etc. this invariably means that one of number has bit the dust. and boy!!!... it does make you think about it.

i reduced my collection drastically when my health took a big dive downward.....fortunately it has improved and i am re accumulating things. ..... but i did sell and /or give away an enormous amount of books and magazines
[indeed got rid of essentially all books of every kind but the reloading books ],etc. etc. and i am NOT replacing those.

i believe i do have more time to enjoy this earth and my loved ones, and i am deeply grateful for that and grateful that i will have them to pass many of my treasures on to, and know that they will be used and appreciated.

You are spot on!

by rob @, Friday, May 03, 2013, 20:31 (4167 days ago) @ cas

Lord willing I will go before my kids. I will have a special gun or two that means something to them to pass on. I know my kids and they will treasure them (and they better shoot them). But really, any more than that just becomes stuff you have to maintain and manage.

periodically Great NOrthern Guns, here , will have a sudden

by lee e. jurras, Hagerman, NM, Friday, May 03, 2013, 21:41 (4167 days ago) @ cable

Cable, know the feeling exactly. Literally hundreds of pistols and revolvers have passed thru my hands over the past 50 years, all have been shooters I've never been a collector per se. Tho several of my guns have brought collector prices. At present I own exactly 5 handguns, each has taken game here and abroad, at nearly 80 years of age I find those five keep me plenty busy. They range from 22 RF thru 500 Linebaugh.
If I can't shoot them they hold no particular interest. Tho I do find all handguns interesting, each for its own reason. :-P

2nd Best.

by JLF @, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 00:15 (4167 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Commercial 1911s up to around # 3500 had the incredible "oil-finish" blue that you find on the revolvers at the turn of the century. By the time this gun was made, they had eliminated the final polishing step. The early guns also had peacock blue small parts, and a circle around the pony like the SAAs had.

I've owned two. One had maybe 20% finish left, and the other maybe 40%. At the time, even then, they were the most expensive guns I had ever owned. I have no idea anymore, I haven't even seen one in decades.

JLF

Great examples of one reason I like GunBroker so much

by FOG, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 00:50 (4167 days ago) @ cable

It's a virtual gun museum, and sometimes just looking really is 'enough'... :-|

Which is a good thing, too, because I 'look' about every day... :-D

--
[image]

agreed... i am learning that ' excess is not best"

by cable, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 16:06 (4166 days ago) @ lee e. jurras

:-)

1911 Final Bid: $13,776.00 (ntxt)

by FOG, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 02:03 (4165 days ago) @ cable