OT: Noise suppression...Class 3 license...

by Gila Jorge, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 21:04 (4168 days ago)

Anyone here use or have experience with...want for 22 Ruger already threaded...thoughts...thanks in advance...

Tactical Solutions Cascade...

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 21:17 (4168 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 21:41 (4168 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

I'm real happy with my Gemtech Outback II. The new popular feature is user serviceable cans. .22's are dirty and a lot of guys want to be Ble to take them apart for cleaning. A buddy of mine sent his Outback to gemtech h for a cleaning. When he shipped it back., it weighed twice what it did when new and still did a good job of suppression!!

I have shot a few others, silencerco, Thompson machine, Huntertown arms... All have been pretty good. I'd had a hard time picking one over the others for quietness. I'd say look around and pick one based on the features you want, like take apart or being sturdy enough for .22 Magnum.

by FOG, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 21:58 (4168 days ago) @ Gila Jorge
edited by FOG, Monday, May 06, 2013, 08:32

(SPG Edit)

I've only shot suppressors, never owned one, but I've thought about it a lot, and if I bought one, it would be for a .22.

It would also have to come with certain features.

Even 'clean' .22 rimfire cartridges blow all kinds of garbage into a can, which will soon negatively affect its performance, and which will only get worse over time.

I don't know of any purely chemical means of effectively cleaning this kind of residue, so I'd want a suppressor that comes apart easily. Many do not.

I would also want baffles made of stainless steel or another material more durable than aluminum alloy. (I imagine titanium alloy is an option these days, but it'd probably be pretty expensive.)

Within reason, I wouldn't worry too much about cost, though; it's a 'once-in-a-lifetime' purchase.

Similarly, I wouldn't get overly concerned about weight; I'd rather have a can that will stand up to repeated cleaning of lead deposits, etc., and that will actually last a lifetime.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

SWR Spectre....

by JD, Western Washington, Friday, May 03, 2013, 14:17 (4167 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

I have an SWR Spectre that I use on my Ruger 22/45, my 22/45 Lite, and a Ruger 10/22. If your going to use it on both a rifle and pistol, I consider the Spectre to be one of the best available. It has stainless body and baffles. Makes it a little heavier than some cans, but extremely durable. Most cans are more effective on either a pistol or a rifle, but the Spectre is at the top of the list for both...

Get ready for about a 9 month wait after filing all the paperwork with the ATF... It has really slowed down in the last few years...

By the way, a 22 can is one of the most fun toys you'll ever own!!!!

JD

SWR Spectre....

by Gila Jorge, Friday, May 03, 2013, 15:03 (4167 days ago) @ JD

Been looking at several...Tactical Solutions has not been nice to my dealer...he has tried to get their products but they would not give him the time of day...and he is largest dealer in our area...had not heard of Spectre...will check them out...Quinn suggested titanium and stainless...be able to handle 22 WRM...good ideas all...thanks again...Blessings...yeah I expect a long wait...I used to have an FFL but my deakler said that would make no difference and have been cleared by FBI but they don't seem to talk with one aother...jealous fiefdoms....

SWR Spectre....

by JD, Western Washington, Friday, May 03, 2013, 16:53 (4167 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

The Spectre is very well built and can actually handle everything up to and including the 22 Hornet and FN 5.7 x 28. Realistically though only subsonic ammo is really quiet. Once you go past the speed of sound, the bullet itself makes a lot of noise. In a Ruger 22/45 barrel length anything other than hyper-velocity ammo will be subsonic. In a 22 rifle, you have to stick to subsonic and standard velocity ammo to be quiet. I don't know how it would be trying to silence the 22 mag... Like I said, the sonic crack of the bullet itself makes a lot of noise.

I like the all stainless construction as it is impervious to almost all cleaning chemicals, whereas with titanium you have to be careful what chemicals you use. 22 cans pick up a lot of lead and crud, and many shooters use venigar and hydrogen peroxide mix to clean them out (called "The Dip"), but that's a no no for titanium...

SWR has a great reputation for quality and customer service, and now they make the Spectre II which is even better than my orginal Spectre...

For lots of good info, take a look here:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php?sid=a28780cce5db4f6113cde8ef880ccb72

JD

Supersonic Observation

by FOG, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 00:37 (4166 days ago) @ JD

I don't mean to be argumentative, and 'normal' .22 LR at subsonic velocities was always what I wanted in terms of a suppressor anyway, but supersonic applications apparently do have one 'special effect'.

Targets fired at supposedly cannot hear where the shot came from (which if true I would still think has certain 'limitations').

I learned this a few years ago when I fired a suppressed AR; its owner, a Class 3 manufacturer, made this assertion when I asked about its utility.

No one shot at anyone else that day, so I'm not sure, but the carbine was certainly the quietest I ever heard or fired. The owner also pointed out this means 'operators' can go without (significant) hearing protection.

In other words, it's a 'tactical' thing, which of course means it's better. (LOL)

It also reminds of another thing, perhaps more practical than tactical: I guess it can be done, but I wouldn't shoot .22 rimfire ammunition through a .223/5.56 suppressor. As long as one didn't, I don't think the 'bigger' can would ever need disassembly for cleaning.

I would just stick with a rimfire-specific suppressor. My 'specs' might take me into .22 WMR territory, but that's a mix I wouldn't mind a bit.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Supersonic Observation....Agreed

by Gila Jorge, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 08:57 (4166 days ago) @ FOG

agree....I just want the capability to handle 22 WMR in the event Ruger who has hinted they might...does in fact come out with a 10-22 Tactical in 22 WMR...then I could switch from gun to gun as the need or application arose...thank you all for your observations...much appreciated...

SWR Spectre....

by Gila Jorge, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 08:58 (4166 days ago) @ JD

thanks much for you hands on experience and observations....having dealer look at the spectre II....

SWR Spectre....

by FOG, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 11:41 (4166 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

I looked at the Spectre II Website and Product Manual, and that looks like an excellent choice.

I would probably choose it, too.

It might not be necessary (or even available; I couldn't find any tools on SWR's website), but I would also get the 'Optional Pusher Tool Assembly' shown in the manual.

--
[image]

I have a SWR Spectre also....

by bmize, Sunday, May 05, 2013, 17:41 (4165 days ago) @ FOG

No need for the pusher tool with the Spectre II. Baffles are a cup and nothing gets to the outer wall to make them stick.

I would highly suggest it as well UNLESS you are looking for a light weight can. If you want the lightet GOOD can, look at the thunderbeast 22-S or 22-L.

Dealer has the Spectre II on order for me...

by Gila Jorge, Monday, May 06, 2013, 20:18 (4164 days ago) @ bmize

interesting that it takes about 30 days to clear and actually receive it then abother 3-6 months to get it registered to me...what a damn mess...I already have FBI clearance and STF clearance when I had my FFL...coulnd;t take much to later date that file....maybe 10 days max.....damn government..

Take a look at Silencerco's Sparrow, too.

by Cannon @, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 13:41 (4166 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

The Spectre II is an excellent can, and if it had been available when I ordered my Sparrow, I'm honestly not sure which one I would have picked.

I went with the Sparrow because it was the smallest and lightest of the stainless cans; comes apart easily even when filthy due to the inner half-tubes that enclose the core; and the fact that it is rated for magnum rimfires, 5.7x28, and even 22 hornet. (It's also full-auto rated for 22's, and I've just about got my M&P 15-22 working with a Slidefire.)

The Spectre is rated for the same cartridges, so that's a wash. On the plus side for the Sparrow, it is smaller, and should be easier to get apart if you get it really filthy. Pluses for the Spectre II are that it's less expensive, and may exhibit less 'first round pop' on short barrels.

You can't go wrong with either of these two. Silencerco now owns SWR, and they're known for some of the best customer service in the business.

Pick one and start the paperwork. Start getting barrels threaded while you wait -- so far I'm running mine on a Walther P22, Ruger 22/45, Ruger 10/22, Savage FSR, S&W M&P 15-22, and a T/C Contender short-barreled rifle.

[image]

RSS Feed of thread