375 H&H

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 18:25 (4169 days ago)

After seeing a very nice 375 H&H at Bucky O'Neill's Gun Shop, I feel a slight need for a 375 H&H in which to shoot cast bullets, and the occassional new fangled copper thingys too. I thought I wanted a 35 Whelen, as I could then shoot the bullets I cast for the 357 Magnum, but now I could be ruined. One of the sweetest shooting, and very accurate rifles I have ever shot was my Uncle's Browning A-Bolt in 375 H&H.

A few weeks ago, the LGS had a Ruger M77 Magnum in .375 H&H

by FOG, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 18:44 (4169 days ago) @ Dave B

Don't recall the price, but condition looked excellent or better, and they hung it on the wall, above and well away from its lesser cousins, which treatment they reserve for special items.

I haven't gone to the shop in about four weeks, but since it's the 'off' season, there's probably a good chance the rifle is still there.

Might be worth a shot anyway. :-D

Hole In The Wall
509-783-1111

--
[image]

There goes Bucky Oneils again.

by Gary G, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 19:24 (4169 days ago) @ Dave B

If I ever get the funds and travel out west to see some of you guys. Bucky Oneils will be the Highlight of my trip.

(if they don,t bankrupt the great southwest before I get there.)

LOL

It is a tiny little shop, chock FULL of cool guns and good

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 20:49 (4169 days ago) @ Gary G

folks.
Rob

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Amen!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 21:02 (4169 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Especially the good folks!

If you break, holler.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 22:26 (4169 days ago) @ Dave B

I'll send some H&H brass your way. I'll NEVER wear out all I have.

I have always wanted a rifle in this caliber...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 06:35 (4168 days ago) @ Dave B

I'm pretty content with the small assortment I have, however, I will always consider my rifle "battery" incomplete, unless/until I acquire a left hand bolt action safari rifle in .375 Holland & Holland.

375 H&H

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 07:35 (4168 days ago) @ Dave B

I had a Ruger #1 in that caliber which I sold about 10 years ago when I picked up a Ruger Mk II Express rifle. Its a great rifle. Would like it to be a bit lighter though.

If I had it to do all over again.....

by Bud, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 10:11 (4168 days ago) @ Wildcat

I would buy ONE 375H&H (probably a sako w/shilen octagon barrel) and never buy another rifle. I can load down for varmints, a little more for deer, pigs 'n antelope. a bit heavier for elk/bear and if I won a trip to Alaska or Africa I'd be good to go. I sure would have saved a bunch of money over the years buying a rifle for every occasion.

YEP! A friend has used a standard push feed Win 70 in 375

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 10:42 (4168 days ago) @ Bud

for everything from turkey's on up through antelope mule deer elk and bears.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Last year I was looking at the Winchester lineup...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 10:46 (4168 days ago) @ Dave B

They had an 1885 model singleshot in 375 H&H for a reasonable sum of money, dealer cost. Even had a dealer offer to let me have it at cost plus shipping... howsomeever, priorities don't include yet another rifle cached up north. But it still sings a siren song if I unstop my ears...

If you break, holler.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 11:03 (4168 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks Hoot! Young Airman at work is interested in my AR, if I let it go, the .375 is a go!

How 'bout .375 Ruger?

by AaronB, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 15:15 (4168 days ago) @ Dave B

There don't seem to be any flies on the .375 Ruger, and you can get it in a standard-length action.

Just sayin'...

-AaronB

How 'bout .375 Ruger?

by Bud, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 15:18 (4168 days ago) @ AaronB

Wouldn't hurt my feelin's at all. It would take all the lighter available store bought right on up to the heaviest. It'd also do fine with the many CB's available including paper patched I would lay in a goodly supply of brass just in case.

Priceline seems higher

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 15:48 (4168 days ago) @ AaronB

I really wouldn't care either way, looks like the brass is a bit more, and not as readily available as the venerable H&H. This idea is the culmination of a lot of years of thinking in terms of minimalism, I could literally have one rifle that would work for North American deer all the way to the plains of Africa. I do know the neck on the 375 Ruger is .047" shorter than the H&H, not sure if that could be a factor for shooting cast bullets.

Priceline always was 'high'

by FOG, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 22:39 (4168 days ago) @ Dave B

The book said so.

[image]

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread