More Charter Arms goodness.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 07:13 (4169 days ago)

The local Armslist site sometimes turns up a gem for a great price. Picked up a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 6", Stratford barrel address, and the bonus holster for 2 bills.

[image]

Cool!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 07:19 (4169 days ago) @ Andrew

Rarely see the Pathfinder.

Almost never see a 6".

Never see them for 2 bills.

Very cool

by Bud, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 09:04 (4169 days ago) @ Hoot

I've never ever seen one in 6"......I'd have ripped my back pocket off getting to my wallet for that one.

That is just WAY cool...

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 09:37 (4169 days ago) @ Andrew

...I love those old Pathfinders.

great buy! the two short barrel pathfinders i have had

by cable, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 10:02 (4169 days ago) @ Andrew

[ and still have ] are amazingly accurate. i have long wanted that 6"gun, but they are hard to find!

I saw a 6" Pathfinder in 22 Magnum

by AkRay, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 12:06 (4169 days ago) @ Andrew

just 41 years ago. I haven't seen another long barreled Pathfinder since. Good find, Andrew! Your fabulous ferrous foraging skills are still very much intact!

Lucky dog...nice.

by Ron Brown, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 17:04 (4169 days ago) @ Andrew

great find ....

NICE find...

by TomC, High Ridge Missouri, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 19:24 (4169 days ago) @ Ron Brown

I have been on the hunt for an old Bulldog 44 Special for some time. That is the first 6" 22 I have seen.

I had no idea this was a 6" when I replied to the ad.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 20:05 (4169 days ago) @ TomC

The guy had a pic of a S&W .38, because that was the closest he could find online to the Charter.

It was worth the 15 min drive to meet up at 9:30 last night!

A couple of tips on older Charters

by FOG, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 10:21 (4168 days ago) @ Andrew
edited by FOG, Monday, May 06, 2013, 08:53

(SPG Edit)

I recently purchased a Stratford-era stainless .44 Bulldog, and it exhibited a couple of 'issues' that are apparently pretty common on these earlier guns.

1) Loose screw in the center of the standing breech

This part is analogous to the bolt on a Smith & Wesson; when you press forward on the thumb latch, the face of this screw bears on the center pin via what you might call 'linkage' and frees the cylinder so it can be swung out of the frame.

Clean, dry threads and ordinary blue loctite will solve this (Uncle Mike's Gun-Tite, or Loctite 242).

On my gun, I also oriented the slot in this screw so it points toward ~2:45 when 'viewed' from the front. In this position, the screw slot is 'co-linear' with the arc circumscribed by the center pin as the cylinder is opened and closed. In any other position, the center pin bears against the slot in such a way as to loosen the screw.

Whether '2:45' is possible on all Charters is unclear; the face of the screw must also be flush with the breech (or pretty close to it). I can only say it worked on mine; the cylinder has probably been opened/closed literally hundreds of times, and the screw hasn't moved since oriented and loctited.

I also let the loctite cure for a couple of days before I got oil anywhere near it. Not sure if that helped, but it probably didn't hurt.

2) Assembly pin in front of trigger 'walks'

On my gun and apparently many others, only two of the three assembly 'pins' (one is actually a screw) bear any load. Retention of the remaining pin depends almost entirely on the clearances, which on my gun are none too tight.

Yet another job for blue loctite. (Yep, it works on pins, too.)

HTH :-)

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread