A friend is looking for extra magazines for his SKS....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, April 29, 2013, 07:38 (4171 days ago)

and I know only enough to pick one out of a crowd. He's looking for "hi capacity", of course, he mentioned 30 round. Are there any to avoid or acquire? Are there different types or one fits all?

Thank you!

A friend is looking for extra magazines for his SKS....

by Alfred John, Monday, April 29, 2013, 09:56 (4171 days ago) @ Hoot

It can be luck of the draw on extra SKS Magazines. A number of different ones are out there,some well made and worked well, others were flimsy and were problems. T
hey also had ones that were fixed in place once installed, a lot were 30 round type and some were less. The was some demand for 5 rounders as well for use in the field for hunting. I have been away from them for quite a while now and cannot remember who had the good ones. I think "Kengs" in Georgia were good, but can't be certain. I found the use of proper strippers and the conventional built in magazine on the SKS seems to be the best out there, reliable and easy to load and unload. Sorry can't be more help.

yeah, avoid hi cap mags for tthe SKS. It works great with

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:05 (4171 days ago) @ Hoot

stripper clips and the wood stock, less so with after market folding stocks and hi cap mags...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

agreed - finally found one that works and it does NOT

by stonewalrus, Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:10 (4171 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Come out of the rifle. It is iffy each time you take a high cap. Magazine out as to whether you will get it back in "just right."

I had a 30 that worked but taking it in and out was iffy

by stonewalrus, Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:16 (4171 days ago) @ Hoot

Each time so I left it in and fed with stripper clips. Unfortunately 30 round mags don't fit in the gunsafe very well. I bought a 20 round plastic Tapco but had to do some filing to get it to fit just right. Works well but stays in the gun. They just weren't designed for removable magazines. Unless they fit "just right" after about the second or third round they drop down slightly out of position and quit feeding.

Personally, I would stick with the OEM 10 rounder....

by Byron, Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:30 (4171 days ago) @ Hoot

Reloading with stripper clips is very fast and handy...

I prefer the SKS to be smooth and simple...

[image]

Byron

You also run smack dab into that BATF issue

by stonewalrus, Monday, April 29, 2013, 11:53 (4171 days ago) @ Hoot

Of must have 10 (not sure of exact number) US made parts once you start modifying and when it is left stock there is no problem. You have to start changing out a bunch of parts even if you just wanted to change stock and magazine. I wouldn't go down that road if I had it to do over again.

Thank you all so much.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 21:45 (4170 days ago) @ Hoot

As usual, a source of reasoned, experienced answers.

I'll advise him to spend his money on ammo and strippers (the 'clip' kind, of course). ;-)

If he really wants detachable 30-rounders

by mcassill, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 08:02 (4169 days ago) @ Hoot

Buy a Kalashnikov

RSS Feed of thread