OT: TCoO for 2005 Dodge Ram 1500

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 14:41 (4176 days ago)

Total Cost of Ownership....weeeelll, not exactly. Missing is insurance and licensing as it tends to get masked by the other vehicles in the "fleet".

Total miles driven: 138,948
Fuel: $29,410.22
Oil: $1361.16
Accessories: $1142.43 (tonneau, splash guards and other bling)
Routine maintenance: $2504.79
Service under warranty: $325.85 (my portion/deductible)
Tires: $1914.22
Total: $36658.37

Maintenance includes 'consumables' (air filters, etc.), 'replaceables' (bulbs, wipers, etc.) as well as somewhat unexpected replacements as follows: right, outer tie rod end @ ~75k, left, outer tie rod end @ ~109k, broken front caliper bolt (no idea??). Service under warranty was 2 events: failed EGR valve @ ~42k and the mystery ground repair at ~67k.

FWIW...

Sounds like a pretty darn good service record to me...

by Brian A, Thursday, April 25, 2013, 22:18 (4175 days ago) @ Hoot

Though it does not include purchase price or it's current resale value.

That is a bit higher than my 94 Ranger, which has needed only one major repair, an oil pan replacement at 125,000 miles, which it needs again at 195,000. Other than that it has needed one front wheel bearing and two high pressure power steering lines. It is still running the original U-joints, tie rods, water pump, exhaust system, fuel pump, etc....

I would call the amount of work needed by your Dodge very acceptable though.

Yeah, "total" was a bit off the mark.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, April 26, 2013, 11:09 (4174 days ago) @ Brian A

There were really a number of things not included. There was a small fender bender (grill and facia damage) which cost me a deductible but it wasn't maintenance related, so I left it off. I was pretty happy with that truck overall. The new one has more rear leg room which is useful with a truck load of hunters headed to MO or elsewhere. It has significantly more power as well which never seems ike a bad thing...

RSS Feed of thread