Question about eating wild pigs.......

by Byron, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 09:19 (4179 days ago)

I have a wild pig hunt lined up the first weekend in May here: http://www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com/boarhunts.html

I will have the choice between one "real big ugly hog" or two smaller ones.

It would stand to reason that the smaller, younger pigs would be better for the meat.

Personal experience on eating these wild boar, please?

Thanks in advance,

Byron

I've shot both.....

by Glen, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 09:32 (4179 days ago) @ Byron

...and big hogs make an impressive trophy, but in my experience are only fit to eat if you crock-pot them for a long time or make the whole hog into sausage. Younger pigs are excellent eating through and through. Personally, I doubt I will ever shoot a big hog ever again.

I've shot both.....

by Gary G, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 09:43 (4179 days ago) @ Glen

If your western fed hogs are like our eastern fed versions. Two small ones would be my choice, Unless you make alot of home mixed sausage.

Yep... better all around.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 10:17 (4179 days ago) @ Glen

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Question about eating wild pigs.......

by Charles, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 13:06 (4179 days ago) @ Byron

If eating is the order of the day, go with the two smaller ones. Down here in deep South Texas, most of the big ones are left for the coyotes and the smaller ones are taken home to eat.

I've never been so poor

by cr, Monday, April 22, 2013, 21:30 (4178 days ago) @ Byron

As to eat a boar hog at any age. Sows and gilts are table fodder if you trap and pen them a few days and clean them out. I know it is just in my mind but those critters will go neck deep in a rotting carcass...just cannot stomach the thought.

RSS Feed of thread