For conversation sake: Colt Defender vs Ruger SP101 3 inch

by MR, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 14:02 (4180 days ago)

for casual pocket carry around the Rocking D. I'm comfortable hitting with either.
45 acp loaded generally loaded with 230 hydrashoks, the 357 with 125gr Remington or Federal JHP's

Opinions solicited.

One in each pocket :-)

by mcassill, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 14:13 (4180 days ago) @ MR

For proper balance and such

I am partial to revolvers for most applications

by FOG, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 14:40 (4180 days ago) @ MR

And I think they are much better for all 'casual' uses.

Autos are fine for most others, but they demand a higher level of attention all around.

If you wanted to, you could load a Ruger SP101, put in in a pocket holster, then 'never' take it out unless you needed it, and you could still depend on it to work.

I wouldn't try that with any auto, including the Colt Defender, notwithstanding its reputation for reliability.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

20 years later, I'm still lukewarm on my SP101

by BC, Iowa, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 15:32 (4180 days ago) @ MR

and it's not for lack of use.

Granted, for hard, outdoor use, it may be perfect for certain people. I've taken mine up mountains, down canyons, through the northwoods, etc etc. And it has carried nicely, absorbed negligence and abuse, and remained functional. Scratches and bumps are not an issue… a few passes with a stone or flat rod and it's back to business.

My issue is that it's just too vanilla. The sights are rudimentary, I replaced (but still don't care for) the grips, and the action/trigger still feel hitch-y to me, thousands of rounds and countless dry-firing sessions later.

I think of it the same way that many of us think of our glocks… efficient tools, but without any of the soul-stirring features that draws us to specific handguns, again and again.

And yes, I'd trade it to the right dapper gentleman from TX ;-)

remember

by uncowboy, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 18:14 (4180 days ago) @ BC

The bigger the better the tighter the sweater. The 45 always gets the nod. J.Michael

HAH!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 23:54 (4180 days ago) @ uncowboy

Good un!
I carry my XDs with a spare mag in the summer with 2 rounds of snake shot first up.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread