computer help

by uncowboy, Friday, April 19, 2013, 05:35 (4181 days ago)

Bought a new Laptop and it has windows 8. When I try to log on to this sight it won't accept my log on info and won't let me post??? Any Ideas? uncowboy@comcast.net :-(

The version of Windows shouldn't be a problem...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, April 19, 2013, 07:45 (4181 days ago) @ uncowboy

what browser are you using? If you are using Internet Explorer I'd suggest that you download a copy of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Opera before anything else. Then make sure it is set to allow cookies (we DO NOT use them for anything other than session security) from this site. Passwords and (perhaps) "handles" are case sensitive, so make sure you type them exactly the same as when you logged in. For example, PasSwoRd is different from password or PassWord. (Don't use any of the above, please, they are some of the first tried when attempting to hack an account)

I would clear all cookies, reboot, and try again

by FOG, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 15:05 (4180 days ago) @ uncowboy

I'd also recommend the Google Chrome browser, with the following Extensions (aka, 'Add-ons'):

Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on"Tells the Google Analytics JavaScript not to send information to Google Analytics."

AdBlock Plus"The free adblock tool for Chrome: Blocks annoying video ads on YouTube, Facebook ads, banners and much more."

History Cleaner"Brings up the history/cache clearing dialogue."

Chrome History Button"Provides quick icon access to your Chrome history [sites visited]."

Chrome Cookies Button"Provides quick icon access to manage your Chrome cookies."

In addition, as I have said before it's pretty hard to beat the safe, secure, and 100% free program
KeePass Password Safe for keeping track of your login information.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Another plug for KeePass (Screenshot)

by FOG, Saturday, April 20, 2013, 19:23 (4180 days ago) @ FOG

This is an 'anonymized' screenshot of KeePass on my Windows 7 machine (I use the 'Classic' Theme).

Here, I have selected the entry for this forum to show the basic functionality of the program.

It makes logging in like falling off a log. :-D

[image]

Just for grins, I also counted the number of entries I have stored in my database file: I am now up to 37 logon accounts of various types. :eyepopping:

I'm pretty sure I'd rather be using KeePass than trying to memorize all that info, much less having to write it all down.

As to the latter, you can very easily print the KeePass database file, so you always have at least one backup.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread