Springfield Champion with full length guide rod questions

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 10:42 (4182 days ago)

Buddy has the above pistol which has been giving him fits. He shoots in our little league and started noticing a failure to go into battery. Ordered out a new recoil spring and swapped it out. Last night, clean pistol, with the new spring, another issue cropped up.

Preface: As I have earlier exposed my ignorance with regard to using correct part names ;-) , bear with me as I know even less about full length guide rods.

With the slide pulled back and locked open, the exposed guide rod is a thin rod with a 'head' at the business end. It is decidedly cocked to one side such that, when the slide is released, the head of the guide rod catches on the reverse plug. Just a little push on the rod will allow the slide to close completely.

I did not disassemble anything so I don't really know what's in the guts. Buddy reports this morning that the original spring is shorter and has a definite bend. As springs will take a set, and sometimes in an odd fashion, this may be 'normal' through use---round count is unknown; pistol was used when he bought it.

What options does he have here? Can (or should?) the FLGR be swapped out for a traditional length one? How about the aftermarket one like the Wilson unit offered by Brownell's (item 965-025-004WB)? The part description mentions slide modifications and that is a little off-putting...

Thanks in advance for the long distance troubleshooting.
Hoot

Bent guide rod perhaps?

by mcassill, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 11:58 (4182 days ago) @ Hoot

Emails with photos sent to your yahell addy. You made me clear and tear down my Kimber for this.:-P
Mark

by Alfred John, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 12:10 (4182 days ago) @ Hoot

What is the added advantage of the full length guide rod? Do they improve reliability and better functioning of the handgun? It seems the old system has proven itself over the years. Just curious, thanks....

by Who....me...??, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 13:46 (4182 days ago) @ Alfred John

THE FLGR exists to transfer sufficient money from customers pockets to the pistolsmith's pocket to make it all worthwhile...

The parts aren't that expensive; I'd get new ones

by FOG, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 14:57 (4182 days ago) @ Hoot

Unless it's completely trashed, the gun is worth a lot more than the price of a new guide rod and a few recoil springs.

Recoil Springs

The 4-inch guns are fairly 'recoil-spring-sensitive', and they tend to wear the springs out pretty 'fast'.

Wolff used to have a 'story' on their website about this, but I couldn't find it.

I did find the springs, which I have used before in a Kimber, and which I would recommend to anyone shooting a 4-inch gun.

Recoil Spring Guides

It's now fashionable to rail against the full-length type, but I think that's a load of garbage. Whether it helps might be doubtful; whether it hurts should be obvious.

One thing's for sure: You don't want to put a GI plug in a 4-inch gun. It is too long, and it will definitely cause problems, possibly of the catastrophic variety.

A Commander plug might work in a 4-inch gun, but I wouldn't take a chance.

If I didn't know exactly what type of guide rod to get, I would contact Springfield and ask. They've only been selling the Champion line for 20 years or so, but they probably have some ideas about parts for it.

They might even have a toll-free number; I know they have a website.

Just don't be surprised if they tell you to get a FLGR. (Who knows? They might even say that is what the pistol is 'designed' for, and what they normally supply with it...)

HTH :-)

--
[image]

I suspect if its bent....

by rob @, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 16:10 (4182 days ago) @ Hoot

Springfield might just mail you out a new one. My experience with them has been very pleasant.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, April 18, 2013, 16:18 (4182 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot ,have your friend change out the Rod and spring for the real parts that work . IE. Orginal Colt Spring guide and 16-17 LB slide spring. he my need a new barrel bushing too. My 2 cents. Frank.:beatdeadhorse:

by mcassill, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 16:34 (4182 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Those parts are barrel-length specific; IIRC Colt never made a 1911 with a 4" barrel

100%!! remove that and add recoil spring guide and plug

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 21:37 (4182 days ago) @ Who....me...??

shoot happily ever after.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Right! The Springfield Champion Barrel....

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, April 19, 2013, 00:32 (4182 days ago) @ mcassill

is not of the proper contour to accept a Govt. or Commander Bushing and I doubt the slide has the proper cam cut anyway.

[image]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the reverse plug FLGR for short 1911's of this type and I've used it to make a number of troublesome Officer-sized pistols actually work.

I'm guessing that the current reverse plug system has a problem and I'd replace the whole thing as a unit, to eliminate that possibility.

Sorry , I was thinking it was a 5 inch gun.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Friday, April 19, 2013, 03:45 (4182 days ago) @ mcassill

:-D

Thank you note from my Buddy...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, April 19, 2013, 13:45 (4181 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks to gang @ SixShooter Forum:

Looks like I'm not the only one that's experienced the recoil reliability issue with Springfield Champion model. I did not see recoil assembly kits in Brownells, only the recoil spring itself, so have a message into Springfield Armory for what to do.

For the hassle the shorter Champion ("Commander"-length) Springfield is, it is still the right choice for me.

Thanks again,

Brian Mann

==========================
I appreciate it too!

RSS Feed of thread