New gun for New Year Hope I don't get flamed

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, January 05, 2012, 18:57 (4654 days ago)

Picked the Glock 19 for the size and weight. Plus the 9MM is much less expensive for practice. It fits my hand like a glove and I love the low bore axis compared to my Sig. It has larger back straps but even with my large hands it feels great.

Art

[image]

excellent firearm....used one a good bit, worked flawlessly

by cable, Thursday, January 05, 2012, 19:53 (4654 days ago) @ Art

eashy to hit with

About half of the personel I see at Gunsite are toting Glock

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, January 06, 2012, 18:59 (4653 days ago) @ cable

pistols these days. A far cry from Col Jeff tossing his G-19 in the trash upon it's unsolicited receipt from Herr Gaston.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

No flame here. Last year a purchased a G17 for competition

by Mark @, Thursday, January 05, 2012, 20:24 (4654 days ago) @ Art

(local stuff and IDPA). I didn't like the Gen 4 RTF. My LGS had a Gen 3 and that is what I bought. Glocks fit my hand well. I only tuned it with a Ghost trigger connector and mag release from a large frame Glock. I love it. I shoot Berry's bullets in the stock barrel and I can't complain!
Glock builds a great gun. Enjoy yours,
Mark

by Otony, Thursday, January 05, 2012, 20:56 (4654 days ago) @ Art

So, how do they pronounce Glock thereabouts? :-D

Actually the G19 one of my favorite pistols to shoot and carry, along with the Browning High Power and the 1911.......

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, January 06, 2012, 06:51 (4654 days ago) @ Otony

Pronounced "GLUCK"

once you get past the ugly part....

by bj @, Thursday, January 05, 2012, 23:10 (4654 days ago) @ Art

Once you get past the ugly part, they are very good. They shoot well and are easy to shoot. They are light and compact and impervious to almost anything that will hurt them.

As long as you have some good blued steel and walnut somewhere to balance it out, you're still good.

by Frank McClelland @, LOWELL Michigan, Friday, January 06, 2012, 03:54 (4654 days ago) @ Art

I have two Glock 19`s they work and are very ulgy I trust them . A great backup gun to a 1911. think I might buy a 23 soon. nothing wrong with something that works!:-D

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, January 06, 2012, 04:03 (4654 days ago) @ Art

I love carrying my 1911's and my High Power but for sweaty summer carry its hard to beat a
Glock 19! The factory grip angle is all wrong for me but a few hours with some epoxy and a
File and I'm good to go...

[image]

I am going to mod a G19 one of these days.......

by Otony, Friday, January 06, 2012, 11:27 (4653 days ago) @ Art

...using a long slide and barrel from Lone Wolf. It will end up being the equivalent of a G17 with a G19 grip.

And yes, you can cut-down a G17 to accomplish the very same thing, but the resulting grip is actually not exactly the same, which I realize makes for the sport of counting fairies on pin-heads. G19 grips have always felt very good to my hands, especially the first generations w/o finger grooves. Sometimes the littlest things make all the difference in the world.

On the 19 size frames I have to grind off the finger grooves

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, January 06, 2012, 20:31 (4653 days ago) @ Otony

They don't fit and wind up poking me in the meat of my finger.

Now the 'standard' 17/22 size. That fits just fine.

On the 19 size frames I have to grind off the finger grooves

by Otony, Friday, January 06, 2012, 22:32 (4653 days ago) @ Miles Fortis

The 17s have always been too long in the grip for me, and I felt as though the pistol was torquing as a result.

Tried a cut-down 17 and it really is pretty close, but it is not exactly the same. Somewhere I read that the initial run of G19s had a grip that essentially duplicated a cut-down 17, but that the style was later changed. That could be internet rumor for all I know (which admittedly ain't much).

I agree that the grooves are not of any use for some hands, and in fact are an abomination, making the pistol feel entirely different for the sake of "change". Added texture alone would have been great.....

On another note....

by Otony, Friday, January 06, 2012, 22:35 (4653 days ago) @ Miles Fortis

.....I just picked up an LC9 as the Glock is sometimes a bit too bulky for personal comfort. I figure THAT will cause more squawking than buying a Glock!

Try handling a Walther PPS

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, January 07, 2012, 14:17 (4652 days ago) @ Otony

In .40 it does have a lot of recoil, but surprisingly it doesn't feel as bad as one would expect in such a small pistol. And I'm not the only one who has commented on that.

by Marc, Friday, January 06, 2012, 14:15 (4653 days ago) @ Art

Good choice.

G19 Grip

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, January 06, 2012, 16:51 (4653 days ago) @ Marc

I have never looked seriosly at a Glock but the weight of a plastic pistol started to interest me. When I first griprd the G19 I was amazed how good it feltand my hands are at least above average in size. The G19 is pretty much the same size as my 229 Sig but it feels so much better. Maybe I need to re-evaluate my love affair with Sigs. First I need to shoot the Glock alot and make an informed decision.

Every hand is different but the G19 and 23 are the best of

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, January 06, 2012, 19:41 (4653 days ago) @ Art

the lot. Still, they approach a 2x4 in feel to me. I much prefer the XD, M&P, SR9, HP, and 1911. One thing that you can say about the Glocks is that they work. If that is the criteria, and it is for most, how can you be wrong getting a Glock?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I tried the Glock but did not feel as good as the XDM in the

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, January 07, 2012, 07:24 (4653 days ago) @ Hobie

plastic guns, so I bought the XDM. The 1911 and CZ75 feel better in my hands.

I LIKE EM ALL. Still trying to buy them all too:-)

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, January 07, 2012, 10:42 (4652 days ago) @ Cherokee

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The XD grip fit me better than a Glock

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, January 07, 2012, 14:37 (4652 days ago) @ Cherokee

but when Glocks are what you have in inventory...........

RSS Feed of thread