Found some WWII era 30-06 in spam cans

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 11:23 (4183 days ago)

5 round stripper clips in bandoliers. I bought two, 240 round cans : Opened one, Looks like it all came off the assembly line last week. Broke the ammo down filled my Garand clips with the '06. loaded the clips with 308 that will work in my FN FAL stripper clips...The 8 round clips fit nicely into the to bandoleers.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Those spam/sardine cans of ammo...

by Bud, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 11:54 (4183 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

stashed away sure gives me a warm fuzzy. I've got 7.62x25, 7.62x54R, 303Brit, 7.62x39 and 8mmMauser just waitin for the right time. Did you know that during the Zulu war (that the Brits got wiped out) they determined the reason was the Brits battle line was too far from their fall back position AND they could not get the cans open for more ammo....again these were stored in spam/sardine cans. The commander would not let them open the cans ahead of time. They should have plugged that guy first off !!!

reports of supply officers not sharing ammo with other units

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 12:07 (4183 days ago) @ Bud

during the height of the massacre as well...reminds me of the masking tape that the armorers used on our M-16 mags--- didn't have to hand count each round that way... always peeled mine off and cleaned the magazine...always pissed the off. I didn't care , I wanted my rifle to WORK WHEN I NEEDED IT.

--

Be aware.........

by Byron, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 13:52 (4183 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

High probability that it is corrossive....

Byron

Bullets tumbled....

by Bud, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 14:01 (4183 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

you couldn't hit anything beyond 100 yds. I switched to a M79 'n got damned good with it too. I would have given a months pay for a M14.

No doubt...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 14:02 (4183 days ago) @ Byron

Almost all of my Garand ammo is, so it all treated as such.

--

Especially in that environment...hot 'n humid...

by Bud, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 14:03 (4183 days ago) @ Byron

however when you see a few thousand Zulu up on the hillsides, I'd be opening them cans no matter what the CO said.

Found some WWII era 30-06 in spam cans

by Jared, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 20:58 (4183 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Great score. You can never have enough '06 ammo.

Several years back I had ordered some carbine ammo that was remanufatured from pull down components. It was around the time when the price was still relitively cheap but demand was picking up due to the carbines CMP was bringing back. Long stor short after a month or two wait for the ammo I get a call asking if I would being interested in some LC 44 in the original 1080 round can in bandoleers and strippers for the same price as 1000 rounds of the other.

Needless to say I took him up on the offer.

Yep I am going back & clean him out of the rest.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 23:02 (4183 days ago) @ Jared

that LC44 was a great deal!

--

Sounds like a plan.

by Jared, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 21:36 (4182 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I wish I would have bought more M2 from CMP when it was cheap.

RSS Feed of thread