Attn: Bud

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 07:02 (4184 days ago)

Sir,

A few entries down you posted,

"I ordered a Lee mold for the Ruger Old Army which cast a .457 200 gr CB. I also ordered a Lee .457 push through sizer. This allowed me to shoot my ole Webley 455's and a 2nd Model Smith in 455S&W. Amazed me how well these ole revolvers shoot with this combination."

A couple things I'd like to know if you don't mind...

Are you using .45ACP or are your revolvers still original .455's?

I have read conflicting reports about the first driving band of the Lee mold is smaller to allow easier loading in the Ruger OA. Some say it is, some say it ain't. What is your mold like?

Encouraging to read of your success. I have a couple of converted .455's I'd like to make shoot.

Thank you,
Hoot

Hey Hoot

by Bud, Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 08:42 (4184 days ago) @ Hoot

I'm using 455Webley brass in the 2nd Model Smith. The throats are right at .4565 w/groove at .4555. The 455 Webley's are Mark IV's and are all over the place. I don't think they will ever be tack drivers like the Smith is. I also use moonclips in the Webley's 'n 45acp's but would not use same loads you'd use in a 1911. These are loaded down considerably, but are fun to shoot DA. I also was given a big pile of 45 Schofield that I cut down to Webley length. These work very well in 455 Webley that have been cut to accept the moonclips....the rim on this brass is very thick so work pretty good. I've never seen a 455 Webley that has not been cut to accept the 45acp w/moonclips...have you ?? I like using the Webleys for fly fishing. I cut off 303 Brit brass flush with the cylinder face then load up #8 shot using wax GC's down on the powder and also to hold the shot in place. This works extremely well on rattlesnakes, which are plentiful where I like to fish.

Thanks for that Bud.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 14:46 (4183 days ago) @ Bud

I have the Smith and a Colt New Service. Both of which have been cut for .45 ACP. They shoot those well enough but I got to wondering about that Ruger OA bullet. I think Uncowboy sent me some...the memory is dim as to who for sure. I'll load some one of these days.

Here is my ".455 Eley"...

[image]

I found a small number of the 265gr, hollow base, .454" at a gun show and loaded them in AutoRim brass over a modest amount of Unique. I can't see that they shoot any better (maybe it's an operator issue?) but they are fun and look kinda cool.

I haven't seen any .455's in the flesh which were not cut for .45 ACP or .45 Colt. When I do an occasional GunBroker search, they do show up...at least in the Smith and Colt iterations. If I have seen Webley's, it can't be but just a few.

Have you seen this page? => http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=introduction-to-455-cartridges

Only the British.....

RSS Feed of thread