Internet sales of guns

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 19:13 (4186 days ago)

I keep reading that this new Senate proposal will put controls over the sale of guns through the internet. Well, since all gun deals made through the internet have to go through an FFl, what is there to control ? There is so much misinformation being "reported" to the general public that the truth is being covered with @@@@. Really burns me up.

Internet sales of guns

by cubrock, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 21:15 (4186 days ago) @ Cherokee

For the most part, you are right. But, the new law would mandate background checks for a sale between residents of the same state if it is advertised on the internet - whether Gunbroker, Armslist, a forum like this, email, etc.

And the problem is...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 22:07 (4186 days ago) @ cubrock

They would never know if it was done legally/no enforcement mechanism short of registration. And it won't save a single persons life because criminals could care less about the law. It's all about removing our guns from us because , unlike knives/exacto knives, our guns actually stand between their tyranny and us. But, I know, I'm preaching to the choir and we all know this:)

Yes, but...

by cubrock, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 22:13 (4186 days ago) @ rob

you can guarantee if it becomes law that there will be tons of LEOs running stings on such sites to catch all those "bad" guys who use armslist.

Oh, I agree...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 22:18 (4186 days ago) @ cubrock

And I will comply with the law. There's a couple thing I won't do but if I have to sell a gun through a background check, we're gonna do it. I've just about decided, regardless of the law, I probably won't sell another gun to someone who doesn't have a CHL. That way I know they are legit to own a gun.

some misinformation there

by bj2, Monday, April 15, 2013, 00:05 (4186 days ago) @ Cherokee

We will have to see what the actual wording is but TV news has said that it would not prohibit sales between private individuals but would prohibit sales without background checks at gun shows. So how do you say it is illegal for 2 private individuals to do a deal at a certain location but it is legal at other locations? Make it illegal to do in a building with more than 2 people so that they have to go out in the parking lot?

It would be even harder to write the wording related to internet advertisements. If you buy a gun from a person on an internet sales site they have to ship it to your local FFL and you do the full background check. But if the seller happens to be in your geographic area and you can meet at his house, how is this different from any other private sale? If a gun is advertised on the internet does that taint it so it is forever illegal to sell it to your neighbor?

I wish they would focus on keeping crazy people from being able to harm people. Just a few days ago there was a crazy person at a college that stabbed a lot of people with a medical knife that he stole from one of the labs at the school. No gun legislation would have prevented that attack. For that matter nothing in the current legislation would have prevented what happened at the school in CT. So are the legislators wasting their time? Shouldn't the entire country be upset that the legislators are wasting their time?

Exactly! Nm

by rob @, Monday, April 15, 2013, 08:01 (4185 days ago) @ bj2

Internet sales of guns

by NRA Dave @, BTR, Monday, April 15, 2013, 16:36 (4185 days ago) @ Cherokee

The link for the language for The Public Safety And Second Amendment Rights Protection Act is here. There are positives and negatives for gun owners.

NRA Dave! good to see you here.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 16:28 (4183 days ago) @ NRA Dave

stick around, you are among friends.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread