Oof!

by JLF @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 15:15 (4186 days ago)

A classic Texas lawman's rig. Pre-war Heavy Duty, nickeled at the local bumper shop to hold up, and fitted with nice old second-cut stags, then carried in an S.D. Myers holster. It letters as shipped in 1937 to a constable of Jefferson County in Port Arthur, Texas. In 1937, Port Arthur was a *rough* place to be a Constable.

Honest Arch
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Oof!

by Ron Brown, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 16:52 (4186 days ago) @ JLF

Hey Arch , I've got the same gun , you saw it once when we had CSA in Tejas , the one you had at the time had bullhead grips w/ ruby eyes , you said " if these have consecutive serial #s , one of us is leaving here with 2 pistols, by the way , what are second cut stags?

Oof!

by JLF @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 18:18 (4186 days ago) @ Ron Brown

I remember the gun. Back in the day, grip makers would take a "second cut" off the antlers, which was more yellowish, and smoother than than the primo stuff used first. In the cheapest examples, used mostly on knives, they would carve in fake "bark" in the otherwise smooth material, and stain it to look natural. Over the years, some folks considered it inferior, and other folks liked it better, and sought it out for their iron.

gus.

RE: Second-Cut

by FOG, Monday, April 15, 2013, 07:00 (4185 days ago) @ JLF

Those are the type of stag grips/stocks that I've always thought looked best, but I never knew they had a name.

Thanks, Jack! :-)

--
[image]

Oof!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 18:12 (4186 days ago) @ JLF

That is great!! I'd take one like that with a known history over a pristine collectors piece any day!

I like it!

by Glen, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 19:26 (4186 days ago) @ JLF

And the classic holster!

Please, Jack....

by Catoosa, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 20:31 (4186 days ago) @ JLF

Tell me that's going in your personal collection and is NOT for sale.

Please, have mercy!

Hard to Say...

by JLF @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 21:21 (4186 days ago) @ Catoosa

Considering what I paid for it, I may have no choice but to "collect" it.:-D The waters of Gunbroker are deep, however, and it never hurts to float a cork...

JLF

Jack,if you decide to sell it, please let me know

by matt/pa @, Monday, April 15, 2013, 01:41 (4186 days ago) @ JLF

I am interested in it. Drop me an email, amigo.

Matt

RSS Feed of thread