Jeep!

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 22:20 (4187 days ago)

Life is organizing itself very well these days. My girl went out and bought a 98 Wrangler. She managed to find one with only 37,000 miles, new tires, 2 tops, and the exact equipment desired. 4.0L straight 6, manual trans, A/C (we aren't savages after all). Me? I just putter around in my Buick Rendezvous. At least I have the Vmax and some cool guns.

[image]

I can't help but staring at every jeep I see...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 22:55 (4187 days ago) @ Andrew

I'll probably never buy one, but they are fun.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Found myself ogling a...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 22:57 (4187 days ago) @ Andrew

'59 Jeep in a local auto consignment place the other day. Dear wife has VERY clear memories of the last jeep we had. In other words, no way, José...

I am a Jeeper!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 23:02 (4187 days ago) @ Andrew

I love mine! First 4 wheeled vehicle I ever drove.

I would love to have an M151 in good condition...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 23:53 (4187 days ago) @ Andrew

and street legal.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

They are really cool but...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 00:30 (4187 days ago) @ Hobie

Any modern Jeep is way tougher, more reliable, comfortable and functional/capable. One of my customers has a very clean original complete with everything that came on it, including the shovel...way cool and it is street legal. The one thing it does do better than a modern Jeep is turn heads and draw lots of attention.

Better?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 08:18 (4186 days ago) @ rob

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

No doubt about it...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 08:27 (4186 days ago) @ Hobie

Solid frames, much better suspension, much better handling capabilities and off road capabilities, more power (not counting the gutless little 2.5 L some of them had), etc. No comparison at all, especially all the latter Jeeps with coil springs. Coil springs handle better on and off road than leaf springs and have greater wheel travel.

Yeah but you didn't have to work for NASA to fi it.

by cas, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 08:59 (4186 days ago) @ rob

Like working on my old Chevy… fuel line, 2 radiator hoses, 2 heater hoses, 8 plug wires and nothing else under the hood. :-D

Today you have to have the diagnostic machine to test the sensor sensor that senses the sensors are sensing.

Yeah but you didn't have to work for NASA to fi it.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 10:04 (4186 days ago) @ cas

One of the sacrifices of more power and much better MPG. I loved my old 56 Willys, but I will keep this one.

That's true but...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 10:46 (4186 days ago) @ cas

I have all that diagnostic equipment, the knowledge to use it and I ain't afeared;) The technology can be a problem for a do-it-yourselfer but they go a lot longer without maintenance. Plugs really do last 100,000 miles now and you don't have to change points frequently, reject carbs to certain altitudes, etc. I do like the old stuff too though.

I ought to dump my 1876 repro by that logic...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 07:21 (4183 days ago) @ rob

However, they work, they're comfortable and familiar to drive, I never couldn't get it to go anywhere I would drive a vehicle. They aren't sports cars, not for long highway trips, not for towing much more than the old 1/4T trailers (I like them, too.) but I still like 'em.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

No, the old Jeeps are just a different animal...

by rob @, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 07:42 (4183 days ago) @ Hobie

Like I said, they are cool vehicles. Just depends on what you want. Some folks think the old Army Jeeps are better than the new ones. Better is relative and subjective. Just depends on what you want.

They are out there...

by Brian A, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 09:33 (4186 days ago) @ Hobie

But getting more and more scarce, so prices keep climbing. They get around much better than you would think, I organize a trail ride for military vehicle owners every year and the M151s will go anywhere any of the earlier Jeeps will go and then some. Like any military vehicle, they are pretty basic, and their performance can be improved with some simple modifications, but within their limitations they are great little vehicles.

Jeep freak...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 00:17 (4187 days ago) @ Andrew

Here's mine...no fancy bumpers or winches but its 4X4 and has run through and over everything I've felt like taking it through. It's my favorite vehicle I've owned and I plan to drive it till I die.
[image]

what year

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 01:53 (4187 days ago) @ rob

Is your JK Rob?

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 08:17 (4186 days ago) @ Dave B

Just about to roll over to 40K...very short drive to work:)

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 09:38 (4186 days ago) @ rob
edited by Dave B, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 10:01

Mine is a 10 with 14k, I lucked into it used with 1900 on the odometer, that was 2 years ago.

She will really enjoy that...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 00:21 (4187 days ago) @ Andrew

Looks like it has good tires too...exactly what I put on mine after going through the Good Year Wranglers. Pretty sad when the name says it all...Good Year...that's about what you get;) The Coopers last.

I couldn't believe the odometer.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 08:05 (4186 days ago) @ rob

We had been looking for a while, everything in our price range was well into 100k+ territory. It has a few cosmetic issues, but mechanically it is solid. A set of tube bumpers and a weekend of cleanup and it will look even better.

One of these days...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 08:20 (4186 days ago) @ Andrew

I'm gonna find just the right older jeep and I'm gonna put a genuine mean small block Chevy in it from roller cam, Dart heads, etc. Something that will sho-nuff be squirrelly but fun:)

Jeep!

by Mark, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 06:52 (4186 days ago) @ Andrew

Nice Jeep! You don't see many '98's looking that good here in the Northeast. i hope it does her well. I have always liked Jeeps, I just have never owned one.
Mark

Looks Great...

by Brian A, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 09:41 (4186 days ago) @ Andrew

I will probably always have a Jeep of one sort or another. Currently have a '97 Grand Cherokee, an '85 Scrambler, a '53 M38A1 and a '51 M38(which is undergoing a frame-off refurbishment). They are great vehicles, but they usually have some quirks to work out as quality control was not always the best, and their design makes them a rather specialty vehicle, so they are not for everyone. Hopefully she will get a lot of enjoyment out of her new toy though.

Had several...

by Bud, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 10:12 (4186 days ago) @ Brian A

A '52, '59, '74' and '81. Kidneys couldn't take the ride any longer. I now drive and love Subaru outbacks which have more ground clearance than most SUV's, plus it will go everywhere I wish to go. Jeeps were sure fun when I was a lot younger.

Bud, you'd be impressed how nice...

by rob @, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 10:40 (4186 days ago) @ Bud

the new Jeeps drive. Mines very comfortable, even off road, and will run 90 down the hwy smooth as glass...as long as the wind is to you back:)

but yours has too many doors :D

by bj2, Monday, April 15, 2013, 00:23 (4186 days ago) @ rob

The Grand Cherokees are pretty awesome on the road and off the road, but are very pricy these days. The new Wranglers are a big change from the older ones too. For off-road use I might prefer the older Wranglers but for someone that wants to drive it everyday in the city the new ones are easier to accept.

but you can sleep in it and...

by rob @, Monday, April 15, 2013, 07:21 (4185 days ago) @ bj2

More room for hunting gear:)

That's one of my requirements as well...

by Bud, Monday, April 15, 2013, 08:30 (4185 days ago) @ rob

If I can't sleep in it, I won't own it. I like to fly fish and when I get into a good spot and catching lot of fish, I like to spend the night and hit it again the next morning. Always take enough gear 'n grub to do so.

I'm a new jeep owner too!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 13:25 (4186 days ago) @ Andrew

Mi Ed a little rougher looking though! A month or so back I picked up an '81 Cherokee. I really didn't know about the older full size Jeeps until a buddy got one from his uncle. I sold off my three project bikes and started looking. I was close to buying a couple of older CJ's until I found mine down in Louisville. It's pretty rough looking but mechanically solid. 360, 4-bbl, 727 Torqueflite, automatic transfer case, Dana 44's front and rear. Just put some new black steelies on it and some meaty 33-12.50x15's. working on the swing away spare tire carrier I'm miunting on the rear bumper I made out of 2x6x1/4" steel tubing. Need to make a front bumper as well. It ought to be pretty tough and more usable to take the family out or use as a hunting truck. The whole interior is coated in Rhino lining so it's not high class but easy cleanup!!

[image]

[image]

Oh yeah, I dumped the ugly factory grill and put the 60's era Rhino grill in it. Square headlights don't belong on jeeps!!

[image]

Jeep!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 18:55 (4186 days ago) @ Andrew

It took nearly 40 years but I finally got my wife into a Jeep 4x4 and she loves it.

very few vehicles can replace a Jeep

by bj2, Monday, April 15, 2013, 00:20 (4186 days ago) @ Andrew

I never really wanted to drive one in our freeway traffic here so I don't own one, but I've rented Wranglers in Utah and Colorado a number of times in order to do off-road stuff there. My wife owned a Grand Cherokee for a long time so we took it up there a lot too. My uncle was a journalist and wrote a car column in his local newspaper. He went to the original Grand Cherokee introduction at the King Ranch and afterwards he told me that if I ever drove a Grand Cherokee I would buy one. I liked my sports sedan so I stayed away from the Jeeps until my wife decided that she would like to drive one. We did a lot of off-road in hers and it seemed to go wherever we wanted to go as if by magic.

One of my few dreams is to go on the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, UT, but I don't currently own a vehicle that is appropriate. And it takes a very modified Jeep to do most of those trails.

This is a Wrangler that my daughter and I rented in Silverton on our last trip up there:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Colorado%202010/DSC_3687a.jpg

And a very steep and narrow road we were on very high up in the mountains:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Colorado%202010/DSC_3725a.jpg

And this is our old Grand Cherokee at over 12,000 feet:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Misc/DSC_3557b.jpg

RSS Feed of thread