re-stocking a Remington 581 22 bolt action

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 20:16 (4194 days ago)

I'd like to dress up my lefty 581 Remington. Great shooter but ugly plain birch stock. I have searched all over the internet - no right hand ones specific for the 581, let alone lefties. Is there something more generic that could be fitted to?

It seems to me that somebody like TreeBone could

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 20:18 (4194 days ago) @ stonewalrus

take your stock and their wood to the pantograph and make a stock that is darn near drop in.

PS - might be a stretch from could do to would do, I don't know about that. Worth a phone call/e-mail.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Look here.....

by Otony, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:07 (4194 days ago) @ stonewalrus

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=334173865

I have bought from them before, a left hand stock for a 788. Not sure if they do lefty 581 stocks, but I would inquire as their work was VERY GOOD!

Otony

From their website...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:21 (4194 days ago) @ Otony
edited by Hoot, Monday, April 08, 2013, 13:10

Bingo! Thanks Hoot! They already responded back to my email

by stonewalrus, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 10:03 (4193 days ago) @ Hoot

That they can do a left handed version too.

Um, your welcome?

by Otony, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 10:11 (4193 days ago) @ stonewalrus

.....?

Thanks Otony - didn't soak in the gunbroker post was

by stonewalrus, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 12:24 (4193 days ago) @ Otony

The same bunch. Sound like a great bunch - they responded to my email on a Saturday night!

After I posted.....

by Otony, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 21:03 (4193 days ago) @ stonewalrus

....I slowly realized you didn't associate the gunbroker auction with the website.

They really are nice folks, a pleasure to deal with.

I had a friend who makes custom stocks fit my 788 stock and he said it was one of the nicer made pre-carveds he had seen in quite a long time. High praise from a fellow who doesn't just carve from a blank, he cuts down the trees, slabs cants, then air drys the wood. He is the friend with the duplicator, it actually sees little use.......

Otony

Didn't mean to step in Tony.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, April 08, 2013, 13:09 (4192 days ago) @ Otony

My post was supposed to be more of a garnish than an entree....

Good to know they are a good bunch. I have been eyeballing one of their stocks.

No, no, we are fine.....

by Otony, Monday, April 08, 2013, 18:23 (4192 days ago) @ Hoot

.......you actually provided the better link..

I was just getting in touch with my liberal side and feeling "sensitive"!

Otony ;-)

Have a stock maker friend........

by Otony, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:21 (4194 days ago) @ Otony

......who has a duplicator if all else fails.

Otony

by Catoosa, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:40 (4194 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Tom, don't sell birch short. That Springfield .22 single shot I was just telling you about has a birch stock. A careful refinish with tung oil brought out some quite attractive grain that was totally invisible under the sprayed-on factory finish.

E-mail me some photos of both sides of that stock. It's been quite a few years since I've seen that gun and I don't recall what the stock looks like. Get as close as you can so I can tell what's on it now and if there might be anything worth looking at underneath. If there is, we can get it out from under the crummy factory finish and let it shine.

I wholeheartedly agree about birch

by FOG, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 05:16 (4194 days ago) @ Catoosa

Around 1979, I refinished the factory-painted birch stock on a Savage 24C .22LR/20GA combo gun using boiled linseed oil. It looked at least 100% better than before, and that was without using any stain.

I would add my recommendation to giving it a try on the Remington 581 stock before ditching it. The results might be well worth the effort.

As an aside, I also replaced the factory plastic trigger guard on the 24C with one that I literally made by hand out of ⅛" brass stock. I later sold the 24C around 1980 at a Colorado Springs Gun Show to a gentleman & his son who were shopping that type of gun for the latter to use on rabbits and such. I remember they were quite taken with the appearance of my revamped 24C...

'I wonder where it is now.' [image]

--
[image]

by jgt, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 10:24 (4193 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I have found the information on Rimfire Centeral to be helpful. Several Remington rifles share the same stock as do Marlins. If I were in your shoes I would search for all the models that share a stock with my rifle. Then look for walnut versions of them. Good luck in your quest.

RSS Feed of thread