1911 Grip Panel Spacers?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, April 05, 2013, 09:45 (4195 days ago)

I think I recall seeing some commercially made thin spacers for the 1911's but I sure can't stumble into them now. A handy sort could cobble some together with an Xacto knife and a bit of time but my friend isn't interested.

The problem: He bought some CT grips for his 1911 and the laser runs into the take-down pin. I think a 1/16" spacer would probably get him what he needs.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

1911 Grip Panel Spacers?

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Friday, April 05, 2013, 11:22 (4195 days ago) @ Hoot

Pearce makes these rubbery finger grips that attach with flaps on each side under the grips, not sure if flaps are a full 1/16" thick though.

[image]

Thanks!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:39 (4194 days ago) @ MDF99

Might be what I recall.

1911 Grip Panel Spacers?

by FOG, Friday, April 05, 2013, 15:39 (4195 days ago) @ Hoot

Searching Google suggests that Brownells used to have something along that line, but it seems they no longer carry the product.

FWIW, I used to shim the grips on my Ruger Mark I Target, mainly to sort of fill in the step downward toward the frame flats at the front and rear edges of both panels.

As I recall, I used two spacers under each grip panel:

[image]

Being a poor college student, I resorted to using materials I found readily at minimal expense: I made tracings using the grips themselves as templates and cut the spacers out of the cover from an expanding file folder using a pair of scissors.

As an added bonus, the typical color of these file folders (sort of 'off-brown') nicely matched the grips.

Later on, I came to prefer the feel of the grips without the spacers, so I removed them, but they stayed in place for several years with no problems. I lived in a very dry climate, though, and would probably use another material less likely to absorb water, if that was a concern.

If not, the folders come in a wide variety of colors nowadays, including Basic Black. :-D

Lastly, I'm not sure I quite fully grasp the apparent interference problem with the Laser Grips − "take-down pin" (???) − but I nonetheless HTH. ;-)

--
[image]

OIC...

by FOG, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 10:57 (4194 days ago) @ FOG

The laser beam (not the laser itself) runs into the Slide Stop.

Alles klar. :-D

--
[image]

Oy! Slide stop....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:35 (4194 days ago) @ FOG

Hanging out with the wrong crowd again.

If you think that's funny...

by FOG, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 21:25 (4193 days ago) @ Hoot

The actual, bona fide fact-of-the-matter is, I really did NOT get it, at least not at first (or second, either).

I even searched for a pic on Google when trying to figure it out...

It was only later − MUCH later − that the 'light' finally went on.

The good news is, I think that's just as funny as anyone else.

Possibly even more so... :-D

The bad news is, that doesn't mean you're off the hook... [image]

--
[image]

Yeah...I deserve it. ;-)

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, April 08, 2013, 14:32 (4192 days ago) @ FOG

The 1911 was my first handgun. I know the proper names. My only 'excuse' was my buddy calling it a "take-down pin" and me not correcting him because I knew what he meant. Then the brain went on autopilot....

1911 Grip Panel Spacers?

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 05:17 (4195 days ago) @ Hoot

Not sure how well a spacer would work with CT grips, with the front part that wraps around the grip frame might be too tight. Even if you could get a small enough spacer to work with the CT grips, it still might not clear the slide stop pin. Suggestion would be to have the SS pin shortened and countersunk like this...........

[image]

While I don't have a CT, I have seen multiable postings on the subject and most agree the countersunk slide stop pin is the solution.

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Neatly done.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:38 (4194 days ago) @ Gunner

Yeah, wondered about the wrap around bit. He's not the kind of guy who wants to mess with this sort of thing. He wants the CT to work and has written them. Likely I'll be hearing about it for a while...

RSS Feed of thread