Project gun update

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 03, 2012, 10:06 (4657 days ago)

Cold and windy yesterday, so I settled into the shop and tore down the PPS. Filthy, but still sound. I think a new extractor star and latch bolt would cure most of what's wrong with the lockup. The ratchet looks worn some, but the hand shows little on no wear. Latch bolt has some sideplay, but the hole in the frame doesn't appear worn. Any ideas where I can get those parts?

Cleaned up the outside as well as I could without removing metal. Rollmarks aren't too deep as it is, and I don't want to polish them out. I'm not going to try to make this thing look new anyway - just want to get the crud off so it will take bluing. Found only one area of pitting, a small place on the left side of the barrel.

I rummaged around in my culture pile and found a piece of walnut just big enough to cut two blanks out of. A couple hours work with a coping saw and belt sander and I had a set of blanks fitted to the frame and ready to be shaped.

I think this will turn out to be a a handy little "working" gun for very little money once I get it fixed up. Since I'm kinda old and beat up myself I can appreciate good old guns and tools, and I like bringing them back to life.

Project gun update

by Amerileiro, SW MO, Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 15:08 (4655 days ago) @ Catoosa

I love to see something old getting rejuvinated, whether it be a house, car, gun, tool or whatever. I'll look forward to seeing pictures that hopefully you'll post of your project.

Whoa! You have a "project gun" you actually work on?!!?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 17:29 (4655 days ago) @ Catoosa

Slow down Dude! We have "project guns" here'bouts but we don't actually work on 'em.

Seriously though, sounds neat. Spiff it up nice and go look for grips here => http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267814415

Please keep us posted and slap up some pictures when you can.

RSS Feed of thread