One more .22 rifle post and then I'll shut up...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:27 (4208 days ago)

Over the past week the 3T/Model 190 has fed every odd .22 cartridge I've thrown at it, from assorted .22 Shorts to 'Quiet' ammo to a Mulligan Stew of oddball 22LR from various manufacturers.

I had to change out the front sight for a taller one, so I needed to check zero. Yesterday, I fired a few 5 round groups at just short of 50 yards, using the window of my old pickup a rest. Ammo was Federal 36 grain bulk HP. This was occurring often enough to convince me the old rifle was shooting pretty well.

[image]

Today, I sat down at a bench and adjusted the last bit of right windage out of the sights at 50 yards. It was still raining a bit. I was shooting three shot groups (same Federal 36 grain bulk HP) to conserve ammo and kept seeing stuff like this and thinking "Wow, those are about a half inch."

[image]

I put a tape on it before I drove back to the house and it was 5/16". This old rifle is shooting as well as any .22 auto I've ever owned, the best of which was an old Mossberg 151-M.

So color me happy as a clam.

ATTN: You still need to come LEFT a few 'clicks'

by FOG, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:34 (4208 days ago) @ Sarge

Otherwise, I guess you get a 'pass'. :-D

Seriously, that's just great! [image]

--
[image]

I've got a little ball-peen hammer in my gun toolbox...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 20:58 (4208 days ago) @ FOG

that started life with an 8" handle. I cut it half because I'd 'over-adjust' sights, etc. with it. After shooting that group, I gave the front sight the lightest rap I could manage and actually got the group landing right on top of it. I am OC about zero and confirmed it at 100 yards. I'm tempted to Red Loctite the damn things before something goes wrong, LOL!

Keep 'em coming Sarge, I've been following along since

by BobM, Ohio, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:35 (4208 days ago) @ Sarge

I'm seriously thinking about a Remington 572 or 552 since they'll cycle w/shorts. I didn't know Winchester had made something along that line.

552's are great 22 rifles

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 21:12 (4208 days ago) @ BobM

nt

A word of warning about Remington 552/572 rifles

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 06:09 (4208 days ago) @ BobM

I've had a few over the years and they do not scope well for me. Yes they do have a grooved receiver as we all know. THe problem lies in how the barrel is mounted to the receiver. Now if your going to only use open sights this is not a problem. Take your average 552/572 and hold it in front of you. Grasp the receiver tightly with your right hand and the barrel with your left hand. Wiggle and you'll see much movement in older used guns and not so much in newer ones. The barrel slides back into the receiver by friction and is held there by that little screw holding the mag tube.

Open sights no problem as they are mounted to the barrel. But for the life of my I could never get a scope to hold zero.

I still love these Remington 22's though

Bob

Never had a scope on mine Bob....

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 08:35 (4208 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

think I was 17 when I had my last one. Thanks for the heads-up.

by BobM, Ohio, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 13:05 (4207 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Thanks Bob; are you saying the newer ones are better? (I'd probably be buying a brand new one). I might have to scope it; my eyeballs (and the rest of me) are rapidly approaching 50.

by Bob Hatfield @, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 15:59 (4205 days ago) @ BobM

I figure they are made the same way. Mine was a 572 pump and the friction fit betweent the barrel and the receiver was definately sloppy. Mayb with todays CNC machining they are tighter. The next time you pick up a 572 or 552 check the barrel receiver tightness for sure.

Bob

Thanks Bob

by BobM, Ohio, Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 09:14 (4205 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Thanks, I'll know what to look for now

My old Mossberg 151K....

by Glen, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:50 (4208 days ago) @ Sarge

...is one of the last guns I would ever sell.

Should have kept the 151M

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 20:43 (4208 days ago) @ Glen

There was a tree, 85 long steps behind the house, that loaded up with starlings every afternoon. I lost track of how many that old Mossberg dropped out of it- like a rock.

RSS Feed of thread