Today's 'standard' handgun calibers & cartridges

by FOG, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 16:19 (4208 days ago)

Going by what you can't get around here right now, I'd say these are today's 'standard' handgun calibers/cartidges:
• .22 Long Rifle
• .40 S&W
• 9 mm Parabellum
• .38 Special

There is *NO* .22 LR ammo on the shelf anywhere, nor is there any .40 S&W 'practice' ammuntion to be found.
(NOTE: The latter was only told to me; I don't have anything in .40 S&W.)

One store had a few boxes of 9 mm FMJ squirreled away behind the counter but still 'available' − at $30 each. :eyepopping:
(One can only hope it wasn't FIOCCHI-brand...)

At another, I first heard of the .38 Special Drought Of '13, the existence of which surprised me until I remembered all those snubbies out there.

I imagine .223/5.56 is also in short supply − along with 7.62x39, I guess − but I don't have any sixguns in those calibers, either, so I didn't ask about them. :-D

--
[image]

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 16:44 (4208 days ago) @ FOG

You can get 45ACP? We haven't seen more than a box on shelves in months.

Yes, there was .45 ACP at least one place

by FOG, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 16:58 (4208 days ago) @ Dave B

• 'Brand X' (I really don't recall for sure)
• 230 FMJ (I do recall that for certain)
• $22.95/box of 50 (which seemed 'low' to me)
• Limit of 2 boxes/person/day (i.e., not a 'standard' around here; you can still get...some − LOL)

The other place I went today had some, too, but I didn't notice the details.

I didn't get any at either place, but I don't need it; I have a lot on hand.

--
[image]

I'm not too worried yet...

by Brian A, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 17:05 (4208 days ago) @ FOG

There was still plenty of 30-06 on the shelves for my 'assault' rifles, and it is still selling for less than $.75/round. I did have to do a double take at a couple local stores which had older boxes of Federal Lightning and Winchester Wildcat, 50 round cardboard boxes on the shelves for $15 each. This keeps up a little longer and I may be able to trade some of the old stash off for gold bullion.

by woody, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 17:12 (4208 days ago) @ FOG

I load most everything I shoot but I do buy some factory ammo and a lot of 22's. so I stop at Walmart every morning on the way to work. They haven't had any ammo in weeks. Only thing in the case is shotgun slugs and 2 boxes of 7mm's.

I'm luck to have a big wholesaler near by to get most my needs. They keep my needs list handy and when what I need comes in they give me a call. Power is coming in slowly and so are primers. 22's are looking slim. But luckly that is one thing I hoard and primers too.

I really wish I had hoarded more .22

by FOG, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 17:26 (4208 days ago) @ woody

I have some, but nowhere near enough if this keeps up too long. :-|

--
[image]

You could probably make a 'killer deal' or two

by FOG, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 17:33 (4208 days ago) @ Brian A

I bet more than a few people have guns they would trade for .22 ammunition. Matter of fact, I was going to say for 'cases' of it, but I bet 'bricks' is more like it.

According to one LGS, the panic buyers are definitely still out there in large numbers. Apparently, a lot of people pay even less attention to the so-called 'news' than I do. :-D

--
[image]

Wish we could get it here

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 22:28 (4208 days ago) @ FOG

I roll my own, but like to keep factory on hand for certain purposes.

I understand the need to keep some factory ammunition around

by FOG, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 23:01 (4208 days ago) @ Dave B

It's just 'easy' for me to keep a bunch on hand because I got it a long time ago, and I really don't go shooting that often anymore, plus when I do go it's virtually always less than 50 rounds of hardball at a time.

I don't usually mix calibers on such outings, either − or even guns, for that matter − so if I'm shooting a .22 or something else, the .45s are at home in the safe.

Both add up to my .45 ammo lasting me a long, LONG time . . . :eyepopping:

But not quite to the point of becoming collector items . . . YET. :-D

--
[image]

As long as I have lead

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 10:55 (4208 days ago) @ FOG

I'll have 45 ammo. When the current craze dies down some, I will be replenishing my stock of powder and primers.

There are regional variations to that

by mcassill, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 11:03 (4208 days ago) @ FOG

Around here, it runs out like this:
.22 LR
9mm Para
.45 ACP
.40 S&W
.38 Special

One contact at Ft Campbell mentioned that .45 runs out well before 9mm there. YMMV

No doubt there are

by FOG, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 14:25 (4207 days ago) @ mcassill

But it appears that adding .45 ACP to the 'list' smooths things out nicely. :-)

--
[image]

Yes, there was .45 ACP at least one place

by lee jurras, hagerman,NM, Monday, March 25, 2013, 18:41 (4206 days ago) @ FOG

I guess its what one calls standard. That has changed over the years. I know Police have been heavy in 40 Cal. Thusly makes it popular with shooters and or potential gun buyers. Ask them why ???There is not the volume of re-manufactured ammo as there was in 38 Spl. But if components ever get back to within teason, that might, I say might change. If prices NEVER return to what we think of as normal then some of the rediculous prices that have been paid for might not seem so rediculous. FWIW
Personally I am more interested in components.
Any serious shooter should keep a supply on hand. Kinda like food, when you wait till the shelves are empty, is not the time to shop.
Ammo can be considered trade stock for food and water. But if you do not have ammo, you can't protect what food and water you have. There is more than one way to be a victim. :-P

RSS Feed of thread