A 'Smith' in ".45LC" that will shoot cast bullets (?)

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 02:22 (4213 days ago)

I don't know whether it's fact or fancy, but if there is such a thing, it probably looks like this:

Smith & Wesson 25-11 PC Heritage .45LC NIB 45 @ GunBroker
[image]

This seller's wares are usually priced higher; he has this one at $1350, which is hardly more than it was new considering inflation.

(There's also another one listed at $1370...)

Then there's this clunker, but it's a .44 Special, and they still want $1350 for it; Sheesh! :-P

Smith & Wesson 24-5 PC Heritage .44 NIB @ GunBroker
[image]

(FWIW, I thought I was seeing double, too...) :-D

--
[image]

Are those pre- lock or...

by rob @, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 07:40 (4213 days ago) @ FOG

Or is Smith finally producing some more guns without the lock? I know they had at least one J-Frame you could/can buy without the lock and one PC 44 Mag with a big heavy barrel but I forget what it's called. It's not cheap though. For a while I thought about buying one and having it rebarreled with a standard 4" barrel just to get a good 629 without the lock.

Yes, they are 'pre-lock'

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 08:33 (4213 days ago) @ rob

They are also 'pre-MIM'.

Both models are from the S&W Performance Center series of 'Heritage' revolvers . . .

ca. 2001 :eyepopping:

[image]
'PC: Taking iconism to a whole new level.'

--
[image]

RE: the S&W 'lock'

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 11:32 (4212 days ago) @ rob

Lacking a crystal ball, I'm not sure, but most seem to agree the lock is here to stay.

Recognizing, I think, that part of gun-buying public doesn't like it, S&W has reintroduced a few 'hammerless' Centennial-type revolvers without the lock, but as far as I know they haven't gone any further in that direction.

Personally, I don't like it, but only because it's 'cheap', not because it doesn't 'belong' on a revolver. If they had implemented something more graceful, I'd probably have no problem with it.

But I don't have any now, and I have no plans to acquire any. There are still plenty of 'real' S&Ws out there, so that's what I'm sticking with.

OTOH, I did play around with the .500 for a short time, and of course it had a lock. If I had a need or use for something like that, the lock would probably only be a minor consideration.

However, if I carried one in Bear Country, I would disable the lock, probably using JB Weld (including filling the hole for the key flush with the frame).

I took mine apart to get a good look at that little rat trap, and it's a flimsy affair at best.

If I thought my life might depend on the gun, I would either disable the S&W lock, or it wouldn't have one in the first place.

--
[image]

by rob @, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 12:03 (4212 days ago) @ FOG

I took a couple of my former post lock guns apart and determined I could make a pin that I could place in the spring that puts pressure on the lock flag keeping it in fire mode. That would physically and permanently lock the lock in fire mode till the pin is removed. But, my problem with that lock is it is one of the most ungraceful monstrosities on one of the most graceful sixguns ever and it also screams of a modern dumbed down society that is too stupid to recognize guns are supposed to be dangerous and keeping it out of the wrong hands is just a matter of personal responsibility that is sorely absent in society today. ...delicately stepping off my soapbox now:/

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 13:30 (4212 days ago) @ rob

I understand your feelings about the S&W lock; in my world, it just isn't necessary, and like you said, it's not very pretty.

I have no objection to safeties on guns, though, I just think they should look good.

Unobtrusive seems to work best in this regard, but that apparently wasn't on the menu when S&W cooked up their current lock; I frankly think it all but ruins the appearance of the gun.

I also think gluing it down and filling the hole with JB Weld (and perhaps a little 'button' to cover it) would probably work OK in terms of appearance, at least on a stainless gun.

I thought about it, but never tried it. Unlikely I will now.

As I said, plenty of nice old ones still out there; you just have to look for them (and these days, I think, be willing to take the chance and buy them online/remotely).

--
[image]

I have a nice 629-5 pre-lock pre-MIM now...

by rob @, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 15:49 (4212 days ago) @ FOG

Someday I'd kinda like to find a pre-lock 686 or 586 but I'm content with what I have now and I'm not really anxious to accumulate any more guns...just ammo:) I too, don't care for the locks on the NM Rugers as well. I have exactly the right NM Ruger...a 4 5/8" stainless SBH which at least last time I checked were still shipping pre lock, unlike the Blackhawks and New Vaqueros and New Flattops.

Hard to beat the 629-5

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 16:03 (4212 days ago) @ rob

If I wanted a 586/686, I wouldn't wait too long.

The six-shot guns seem to be some of the better S&W deals going in terms of price (on average at least), but that probably won't last forever.

As for the NM Rugers, the thing that I didn't like was the timing (cylinder didn't line up with the ejector rod on the 'clicks').

I heard they 'fixed' that on some of the newer NMs, but I've kind of lost track.

--
[image]

I add a Power free-spin pawl to all my New Models...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 12:56 (4211 days ago) @ FOG
edited by Sarge, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 15:58

and it renders that ejector-timing thing irrelevant. My Old Vaquero was afflicted with it so bad that I was driven to a solution and that was it. I believe the New Vaqueros and certain Blackhawks have a separate index detent that solves the problem as well.

Is the Power's free spin pawl a drop in part? I have one or

by AkRay, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 13:44 (4211 days ago) @ Sarge

two that could use the feature.

Not drop in but it USUALLY requires very little fitting...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 15:57 (4211 days ago) @ AkRay

and it comes with instructions.

In the Flattop and New Vaqueroes they use...

by rob @, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 19:41 (4211 days ago) @ Sarge

A spring loaded detent ball in the recoil shield that let's the cylinder turn past it but not backwards. Clicks and locates the cylinder chamber perfectly and if you go a bit too far just turn it back till it stops and its aligned. Very simple design and they work great. I personally wish they'd come out with an all steel, 4 5/8" 357 Blackhawk on the small frame (not a Flattop). It seems odd that they continue to make them on the 44 frame yet they make the New Vaquero on the small frame. It makes sense to offer the 45 Colt on the small NV frame and large Blackhawk frame so folks who like the heavy 45 Colt loads have the Blackhawk. Not sure why they need to keep making the 357 on the large frame now that they obviously have the means to produce it on the OM frame. I'm not a big fan of the Flattop frame...I don't dislike it, I just prefer the Blackhawk style with the sight ears.

It might be heresy, but I also don't like 'New Model' Rugers

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 13:49 (4212 days ago) @ FOG
edited by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 13:56

My first handgun − purchased with my very first paycheck from my first 'real' job in June 1974 − was a 5½-inch New Model Super Single Six, and even then I inquired if they still had any Old Models in stock.

They didn't, so I bought the new one instead.

The guy at the gun shop tried to talk me into the longer, 6½-inch-barreled version, but I liked the shorter one and got that.

I don't remember how much it cost, but my paycheck was little if any more than $100, so the gun and a few boxes of ammo left me with about $5 in change.

I still felt rich, but I have to tell you, that ammo didn't last very long... ;-)

For that matter, neither did the gun. Within a few short weeks I traded it for an Astra .357 (!), and just weeks after that I traded the Astra for a new, 4-inch, blue Smith & Wesson Model 10.

I remember that one was priced at $105, and it cost me the Astra, plus $30 or $35 'boot'.

Needless to say, it's been downhill ever since. :-D

(SPG Edit)

--
[image]

Speaking of 'Old Models'

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 14:21 (4212 days ago) @ FOG

It might need its own thread to get proper attention, but if anyone has a Flattop .357 they'd be interested in trading for my 1960s-vintage Randall #1-8, I'm all ears.

Not picky on barrel length, just condition: 95% minimum, and the higher the better.

I remember shooting one during what was called "Free Studies Week" at my high school during Spring 1975.

Like the one I had much later on, it was a 4⅝-inch model and it had so little perceived recoil I thought the other student's ammo had gone bad somehow. (It hadn't; I just didn't know any better.)

I believe that's a .357 that I could still enjoy shooting.

I might also settle for a Freedom Arms Model 97, but that's probably aiming a bit too high. :-D

As an aside, "Free Studies Week" was repeated every two years. Days were divided between morning and afternoon, and you were required to pick two diffferent activities.

Shooting was on the Program both years during my tenure: 1975 and 1977. In addition to rimfire and centerfire rifle and pistol, we also shot skeet and trap.

As noted, you could also bring your own guns to class.

Imagine that today...

--
[image]

I started with a 6" Model 66 and...

by rob @, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 19:22 (4212 days ago) @ FOG

Within a year decided it wasn't a 44 mag. Traded it for a Virginia Dragoon, then that turned into a 10" SBH, that turned I to a Redhawk, etc. Before I knew it I had a closet full but have been buying, trading, refining and changing my mind for way to long...I'm done with that:) I started reading Ross Seyfried and he convinced me I needed to get rid of those weak sister 44's and upgrade to 45 Colts. Did that, came back around the block AGAIN and I'm comfy right here where I started with a 357 and a couple 44 Mags and I just don't see that ever changing again:) The only thing really lacking is a good basic 1911. I'd really like to get my hands on a stainless Gold Cup to fondle, love, shoot and appreciate. I wouldn't carry it but I'd sure love to have a really nice one.

Two good things about this particular .44 Special & ".45LC"

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 08:48 (4213 days ago) @ FOG

1) IMO, they're pretty much 'handloader-only' propositions, but that's not the only thing that lets me off the hook.

2) The seller doesn't take credit cards...

[image]

--
[image]

Mine is a 25-13

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 01:33 (4212 days ago) @ FOG

And it shoots cast very well. It loves the SAA bullet and 12.5grs of HS6.

RSS Feed of thread