The 'Spydiebuck'

by FOG, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 17:12 (4214 days ago)
edited by FOG, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 17:33

I 'grew up' during the Buck Knife Craze of the 1970s, which, in addition to my reading MAD magazine, no doubt explains everything. :-D

Since then, I always thought to get another Buck, but the truth is, we now have better alternatives.

For example, this one:

[image]
[image]
SPYDERCO PERSIAN BLACK MICARTA ~ C83BM (DISCONTINUED)

I was actually recently thinking of selling it, but I believe I'll hang onto it a while longer. ;-)

--
[image]

Dave, look into the

by Glen, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 17:44 (4214 days ago) @ FOG

...Buck Vantage, made with S30V steel (they also made this model with lesser grades of steel). It's the best made EDC knife I've found yet. I've been carrying this one daily for a little over 2 years.

That Buck Vantage looks great

by FOG, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 18:08 (4214 days ago) @ Glen

But I was mainly just musing.

I normally carry a Spyderco Kiwi (C75P) − in my watch pocket.

[image]

--
[image]

useful shop blade form, for me

by John Meeker @, Monday, March 18, 2013, 08:09 (4214 days ago) @ FOG

have a few of that shape for the bench. currently carrying a discontinued Cammilus USA thumbhole blade.

That's one of my favorites for everyday carry

by Brian, Monday, March 18, 2013, 15:57 (4213 days ago) @ FOG

The curve is just right for the way I carry it. Also, the spine is nicely squared, which helps throw sparks off the ferro rod when I'm camping with the boys.

Winner!

FOG you have some nice older spyderco knives.

by woody, Monday, March 18, 2013, 19:26 (4213 days ago) @ FOG
edited by woody, Monday, March 18, 2013, 19:37

I like and collect older Spyderco knives. They don't make many models now that I like. Plus not all of them are made in the US. My first hunting knife was a buck 110. Got it in mid 80's and still have it. I don't use it much but do take it out once or twice a year to gut a deer for old times. But I prefer a fixed blade for field work and now a dozier my wife bought me is my constant companion.

Thanks − I got my first Spyderco in the early '90s

by FOG, Monday, March 18, 2013, 23:33 (4213 days ago) @ woody
edited by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 04:51

It was a serrated-edge CoPilot (C09S), just like this one:

[image]

I reckoned the short blade would be OK for work, and it pretty much was.

Once or twice some lemming raised their eyebrows over that wicked, 'jagged' edge, but they were usually persuaded to 'put it in their pipe and smoke it' without too much trouble. :-D

I liked the knife so much, I got another one for 'play', so I had two of them for many years. Then, a few years ago, the work knife turned up spare, so I gave it to a friend.

I had also found this one on Blade Forums, the plain-edge variation of the CoPilot (C09P), and I really didn't 'need' three of them. :-D

[image]

It was NIB, but still just $45, and that was cheap even then (about five or six years ago).

I normally carry the Kiwi nowadays, but all my Spydercos remain on-duty; in folders, it's my favorite brand.

[image]

(SPG Edit)

--
[image]

It does carry very easily

by FOG, Monday, March 18, 2013, 23:46 (4213 days ago) @ Brian

It's also still crazy sharp! :eyepopping:

I also much prefer the riveted construction of these old-style Spydercos to the screwed-and-glued knives so common today.

I gather the owner can tighten-up the latter type at will, but the former seemingly never need it if you just take care of them.

--
[image]

The 'Snake Knife' (not a Spyderco)

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:22 (4213 days ago) @ FOG
edited by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:44

Once a month or so, I go out and have a steak, usually a filet.

Food prices being what they are nowadays, I like to get my money's worth on dinner, so a few years ago I 'invested' some of it in one of these...

(Actually, I just 'needed' an excuse to buy another knife. :-D )

[image]
Kershaw Shun Higo Nokami ("Personal Steak Knife")

I got mine the first time they quit making them, so it was discounted well below retail. (I used to do the same thing with Spydercos, but I haven't since around the time of the Persian.)

On performance, I think it makes a big difference with a really good steak, virtually none if the steak is even a little bit tough.

For that kind, the hacksaw they normally issue in restaurants these days works just fine.

(Photo Edit)

--
[image]

Looking at the new ones, I have to agree

by FOG, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 04:54 (4213 days ago) @ woody

I didn't see anything in the current Spyderco lineup that I couldn't live without.

Which is a relief. :-D

--
[image]

My wife once said it was barbaric...

by rob @, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 21:29 (4212 days ago) @ FOG

To pull out a pocket knife in a restaurant (or our kitchen) and cut steaks, jalapeños or whatever. After almost 26 years I've just about got her trained...she'll never be a redneck but she's certainly the best redneck's wife I could have ever hoped for:) It's not tactical but I tend to carry a Case Stockman I bought back when in my teen years. Razor sharp, still tight as new.

I've owned a few 'tactical' knives, but I never carry them

by FOG, Thursday, March 21, 2013, 15:56 (4210 days ago) @ rob

I just like to look at them and maybe slice a piece of paper or two. :-D

For real-world, everyday use, the 'grayer' the better, if you ask me.

I've even largely given up carrying my Spyderco Clipits, just because of the clip: The wrong people draw the wrong inferences from seeing one, and nowadays I don't like to advertise that I carry a pocket knife.

Too many sheep, not enough wolves...

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread