Anyone have a Ruger American?

by woody, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 18:25 (4215 days ago)

I was thinking of picking up a Ruger American in 308. For the money thought it would be a good truck/atv gun. Anyone have one? Everything I read about them is good. Just wanted first hand results.

It is amazing what these entry level rifles are capable for the money. I have a savage axis in .223 and it is scary accurate.
Shoots better than any gun I own. That seems to be the norm with everyone I know that owns one. I'm sure the Ruger will be the same.

Thanks.

Anyone have a Ruger American?

by lee jurras @, Hagerman, NM, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 18:38 (4215 days ago) @ woody

Not shot the Ruger American, but have found the Savages to be a bit more accurate from gun to gun. Have owned many Rugers from time to time. But have has some accurate Rugers too. Most factory Rifles today shoot better than the owners, particularly at LR.

Thanks Lee

by woody, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 18:45 (4215 days ago) @ lee jurras

There are a few things I like about the Ruger over the Savage. The magazine,trigger, and the bolt. I will probably pick one up this week. I have a lot of brass I have picked up over the last year. I've had access to a good supply of federal match brass.

Nope.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 21:52 (4215 days ago) @ woody

Or perhaps more accurately, 'not yet'.

I was waiting for a 7mm-08 to come out (it has) and Ruger followed up with a compact version. So, when I stumble into a compact in 7mm-08, then my answer will change.

I have handled them. They have a lot of good features but let's just say, "They sure ain't a Model 77." Of course, they weren't intended to be. I figure they will make a good loaner/grandkid gun.

Sell them. People like them. If they come back it is as a

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 12:56 (4214 days ago) @ woody

trade in for another chambering or perhaps a "better" gun. We have yet to return one to the manufacturer.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread