Questions on the S&W 40 caliber cartridges

by Alfred John, Friday, March 15, 2013, 13:08 (4216 days ago)

I have never messed this round and don't really care for it. I have 9's and 45's for semi-autos as well as other "Common" pistol and revolver cartridges. I am curious as to the different bullet weights available. I seem to remember it was brought out as an alternative to the .45ACP for law enforcement. I have heard it is a bit snappy on the recoil and so on, but never using one I don't know a thing about it. I have a good neighbor who is interested in getting one, but he doesn't have any handgun shooting experience, so I was wondering if he would be well served by this caliber. He does know long guns, having hunted with them. Like I said I know nothing from first hand experience on it. Thanks for looking. ATB

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, March 15, 2013, 13:54 (4216 days ago) @ Alfred John

On recoil- You would have to shoot the two cartridges in the same gun--at the same weight--to be able to draw even subjective conclusions. As it stands, many folks report that the smaller .40's (Glock 27, etc.) exhibit harsher recoil than typical pistols chambered for the 45 ACP.

I have to wonder how much of that is real vs regurgitated 'innernet wizzdum'. I used to shoot my 45 cal 1911 with a co-worker who had a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. We'd pass the guns back & forth occasionally. When loaded with full-snort loads, neither of us could tell enough difference in them to matter.

The cartridge itself is quite versatile and I like it a lot. Its powerband can cover anything from light 38. Special to low-end .357 and 45 ACP. It is one a very few 'government programs' that actually resulted in something good.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post.html

by Alfred John, Friday, March 15, 2013, 14:11 (4216 days ago) @ Sarge

Thank you "Sarge" the article you linked to the response answers a lot of questions. Like I said I have never done anything with this cartridge and from what you report is seems to be a worth while self defense caliber. Once again thank you. ATB

40 S&W

by Todd C @, Friday, March 15, 2013, 23:39 (4216 days ago) @ Alfred John

When it first came out, I poopooed it. However, being a bit older and wiser, it's a really nice cartridge. Sarge summed it up pretty good. I can add that the 40 S&W is a ballistic duplicate of the original 38 WCF. When you look at it's track record since 1876 (?) well, what's not to like?

I shoot more 165 grainers than 180s

by stonewalrus, Friday, March 15, 2013, 14:16 (4216 days ago) @ Alfred John

They seem to hit to the sights on my Witness. There is noticeably more recoil than my son's Hi Power but then there's 50 more grains of bullet. It is a bit of a handful in his Glock 27 but you can get used to it. Nothing like full house 357 in a medium framed gun. I can hit better with my Witness than my Security Six 4". How much has your friend shot and what? I'd go with a medium size Glock not the baby OR get a Smith M&P Compact all the better.

My wife and Daughter like their G23s and 27s...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, March 15, 2013, 15:00 (4216 days ago) @ Alfred John

yep, proly too much recoil for soft handed men...;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Otony, Friday, March 15, 2013, 19:16 (4216 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

You mean the kind with lace on their panties? ;-) ;-)

by stonewalrus, Friday, March 15, 2013, 19:55 (4216 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Hand size makes a difference. My son has smaller hands and likes his Glock 27. I like my Taurus Mil Pro better - a little more to hang onto.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, March 15, 2013, 20:20 (4216 days ago) @ Alfred John

I have a few and like them. I have a Glock 22 with a 9mm conversion barrel and a pair of Kel Tec SUB2000 carbines in 9 and .40, so I have some side by side comparisons. The.40 has a slight bit more recoil but not objectionable. Most of my .40 shooting is done with 175 cast or 180 plated around 900-950fps. I can shoot it just about as fast and as accurately as my similar 9's. if this is his only pistol, he'll have no point of reference and should do just fine!

evolution

by bj @, Friday, March 15, 2013, 22:22 (4216 days ago) @ Alfred John

Cooper influenced development of the 10mm as an improvement over .45ACP, police officers had problems with recoil of full 10mm so S&W shortened it and made it the .40S&W.

I think it is a good cartridge, not as good as .45ACP but it can come close in ballistics with some loads. As I recall I've seen .40 ammo loaded with 135, 155, 165 and 180 grain bullets. Good loads with 135 grain bullets are probably very similar to the common 125 grain .357 mag loads. 180 grain loads are close to 185 grain loads in .45ACP.

The big advantage of the .40 is that any gun model that is made in 9mm can probably be modified by the manufacturer into a new model that works with .40.

In a light compact carry gun the .40 can have snappy recoil but it is not painful unless you get something like the little KelTec in .40.

I've only fired one .40 S&W, a full-size M&P

by FOG, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 07:11 (4215 days ago) @ Alfred John

Recoil was utterly unremarkable.

As to whether it's a good choice for your neighbor, if he doesn't want a revolver, then I'd say yes.

The .40 is pretty much the centerfire standard caliber now, just as the .38/.357 were some thirty years ago.

Standard is good when it comes to noobs: It avoids confusion and needless questions that can be pursued later on if desired. Up front, it's usually better to stick to basics.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread