Difficult news for us

by brionic @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 19:49 (4218 days ago)

Our tests this week reveal that Dashiell's time with us is shortening. The few remaining treatment options may reduce his discomfort, but none of our physicians believes that cure is possible any longer.

Timing is hard to project, but can be likely measured in weeks or months.

Pam and I are coming to grips with this as much as we can. It is not a surprise, but is a shock nonetheless.

I am devastated, to be blunt. I am also aware that how we/I respond will set a course for our family and specifically for my sons. Finding balance has been a challenge.

I appreciate your words and kindness over this past year in a way that I cannot convey.

Meaningful thoughts are fragmented right now, but be assured that we have no regrets, and although we will grieve, the joy of sharing his life and love will outweigh our sadness, eventually.

Sending love and prayers your direction

by Glen, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 19:55 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Be strong, and cherish the time you have with your son.

Very sorry Brian...

by rob @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 19:58 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Our prayers continue. There just are no good words... May God give grace, strength and comfort,

Rob

Difficult news for us

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 20:10 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

I was wondering how things were going. Prayers for all of you.

Difficult news for us

by Mike Barranti, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 20:12 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Brian, your family has been in my thoughts and prayers, and that will continue...

Difficult news for us

by mcassill, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 20:17 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

I am so very sorry, Brian.

Difficult news for us

by TomC, High Ridge Missouri, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 20:34 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Terribly sorry to hear this Brian. Make the most of the time you have left with your son.

God bless you all. Prayer continues.

by Caz, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:02 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Brian, you are all in our prayers.

by Jared, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:08 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

NT

Difficult news for us

by Amerileiro, SW MO, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:33 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

May God bless and strengthen all of you as you go through this.

I am so very sorry for you all. Prayers continue, of

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:40 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

course.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Difficult news for us

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:43 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Prayers for you and your family

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:54 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

May the Good Lord find a way to ease your grief.

Dave

Difficult news for us

by Brien1, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 22:02 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

I am very sorry to hear this.
Enjoy each other as long as you can. Grieve as much as necessary. Keep your memories close to your heart.

Give him a hug for me. May God Bless you all.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 22:17 (4218 days ago) @ brionic
edited by Rob Leahy, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 09:08

and give you strength.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

May God bless you, prayers sent....

by Brian A, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 22:38 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

nm

Difficult news for us

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 22:56 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Our prayers continue for you and your family.

Words will never suffice.

by Murphy @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 23:20 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

My prayers to you all.

With heavy heart,

Murphy

I'm sorry to hear it, Brian. Prayers continue.

by AkRay, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 01:11 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Sending Prayers for you and your family

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, March 14, 2013, 03:52 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Prayers on the way

Difficult news for us

by Mark Stevenson, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 05:52 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Brother, this news fills my eyes with tears and my heart with sorrow.
It will not mean much now, but be assured that the care and love you've given him throughout his life will help the healing in the long run.

Prayers for strength and healing continue.

Mark

Thx Mark

by brionic @, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 13:36 (4214 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

I am so sorry Brian.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 06:00 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

My prayers go out for you, your family and Dashiell.

I am sorry to hear this news

by Jhenry, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 06:33 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Prayers continue for the whole family.

prayers said

by Lloyd Smale, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 06:36 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

I cant imagine the pain your going through!!

I'm praying for all of you.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 07:50 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

God works in mysterious ways. I went through a lot the first few years with my boys. Hold your faith and support all of your family. I will continue to pray for all of you.

Difficult news for us

by madbohemian, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 07:52 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

So sorry to hear this. Prayers for Dashiell and you all.
Lord please bless all of them.

Prayers offered already.

by Todd C @, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 13:40 (4217 days ago) @ madbohemian

Difficult news for us

by Otony, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 08:14 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

I am finding it impossible to put into words how this effects us. The wife and I have been quietly following your updates here and on Facebook, with sadness and joy over the many events in Dash's life these past months.

Frankly, we find you and your wife amazing. Not sure how we would respond to a similar situation with our children, probably not as well as the two of you. You are rocks of foundation for the entire family.

Our hearts and prayers go out to you and yours. Hold Dash tightly in your heart, he has been an enlightenment to all.......

Otony

Difficult news for us

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 08:15 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Sorry that it has come to this, prayer for all.

Very sorry to hear this...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 08:24 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Our prayers are with you all.

Very sorry to hear this

by FOG, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:27 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Words are insufficient

--
[image]

I can't even begin

by Charles, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:58 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

to place myself in your shoes and feel how horrible that must be. I have no words that can lessen the pain. Just know I will be praying for you all during this very hard time.

Difficult news for us

by Drago, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:20 (4218 days ago) @ brionic

Very sorry Brian. Prayers continuing. God Bless!

Prayers go up.

by Mike P @, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:45 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

This is tough territory. I'm sure you're doing what you can for everyone.

I lost a son nearly two years ago. It helped me to take advice from a few trusted people who ensured that I eat a bit, rested a bit, and the like.

Prayers go up for you and yours,
Mike P

Please remember......

by Byron, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:06 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

That pain shared is pain divided and that joy shared is joy multiplied.

Please remember that there are others on this board that have walked this path before and would be honored to share yours.

yrusik@yahoo.com

Byron

So sorry to read this...

by matt/pa @, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:25 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

My thoughts are with you and your family during these trying times. Enjoy the time you have left together to its fullest.

Matt

Difficult news for us

by John Meeker, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:35 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

The loss is something no parent should have to face, Please, God, be with these fine people through the joy of remaining days and the pain of being finally separated, in Jesus Name, I pray.

God I couldn't imagine, but I will pray for him and you ntx

by Bob Hatfield @, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 16:00 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

ntxt

Difficult news for us

by woody, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 16:06 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

Your family is in my prayers.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family..

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 16:26 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

:-(

There's just nothing to be said.

by AaronB, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 18:23 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

I'll hug my kids closer tonight. I'm so sorry.

-AaronB

Difficult news for us

by mac in mo @, St Louis, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 19:12 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

Prayers for all.

We continue to lift you all up in prayer

by cubrock, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 20:00 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

Your family has been on our church's prayer list since we first found out. We will continue to keep you before the Throne of Peace.

So sorry to hear this...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, March 15, 2013, 05:09 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

You guys have done an amazing job of handling this so far; I pray God gives you the strength and guidance to continue to do so. For what I've seen, yours could be a model for others you g through tough times. I don't know if I'd have the strength that you have shown in the past year and your family will be so much stronger for that strength.

God Bless you all,
Doug K

I've just come down from the mountains...

by pokynojoe, Friday, March 15, 2013, 08:51 (4217 days ago) @ brionic

And logged on and saw this thread. It’s becoming all too frequent that when I’m presented with a long thread such as this, it’s usually bad news.

Brian
If I could say the right words, I would say them. If I could do the right thing, I would do it. There is nothing I can say, and nothing I can do. May the gentle hand of God guide the little lad, as he journeys down a road, which only he can travel. May God send the Holy Ghost to guide his mother and father with a beacon of light in this dark time.

Difficult news for us

by Chuck Smith @, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 11:07 (4215 days ago) @ brionic

Brian,

I don't know you or your wife Pam. I'm only mildly familiar with your situation as I've been far removed from this board, as well as many other things. I felt compelled to respond to your post and it appears I may have been led here this morning for some unknown reason? On September 10, 2006 my wife Robin and I lost our youngest child Cade at the age of 4-1/2. Cade was the youngest of our three children, all boys. Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide you with any pearls of wisdom that will aid in the walk you and your family will have to make. I'm unaware of any greater pain, both physically and emotionally, than that of losing something so precious as one of your children. Nothing I know of prepares a parent for that, regardless of the duration of the illness or disease. Cade became ill on September 5th and passed away on the 10th. We were told he had contracted a rare virus with no known means of cure and he eventually succumbed to heart failure. I was with Cade in the hospital when he went into cardiac arrest and I began CPR on my own child. There will be those who will tell you you to be strong and cherish the time you had. There will be others who attempt to offer words of support and encouragement, many falling so very short, but with good intentions nonetheless. Everyone is an individual and how they handle such a horrible tragedy of losing a child is also done so individually as well. Some are able to cope if you will better than others. Before Cade's passing I considered myself to be made of granite! The bark on my tree was harder than anything you may be able to imagine as well. After his death, I realized I was not made of stone and for the better part of 5 years sank into a deep pit of depression. I all but walked away from everything that meant anything to me. I was not there for my two boys who are now 18 and almost 15. My wife, the love of my life, endured terrible pain as well and I was also not there for her as I should have been. Self pity is a terrible thing Brian, but it took me a long time to realize that! To compound matters, my dad unexpectadly passed away the day after Christmas 2011. I worshipped the ground he walked on! While I'm no expert on giving advice, I can say with great certainty that your family and close friends are the ones who will provide the only comfort in trying times ahead, and trust there will be many. I wish I could sugar coat it, but that would not be fair. Cling to your wife and children, be there for them and them for you. Don't follow the path I took as it was filled with darkness and pain and the ones I loved so deeply paid the price. There are no "do overs" and if you fail to rely on the ones that mean the most there will be a cost. Nothing means more to me than my family and I'm blessed beyond words to still have them with me. My family will pray for you and yours and know there are others that share in your pain and will be here for you. God bless your precious child always!!

Regards,
Chuck, Robin, Charlie and Cole Smith

Thank you Chuck... your words hold meaning

by brionic @, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 13:10 (4214 days ago) @ Chuck Smith

that I think I understand now but will, more, later.

Thank you all for your kind words of compassion.

RSS Feed of thread