'The 200' (lol)

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 12:04 (4219 days ago)

Perhaps it comes as no surprise, but I happen to still have full boxes of 200-grain .38 Special ammunition in both major brands.

[image]

If one favors blunt hoses on heavyweight bullets, then I suppose the Western is the winner in this (obsolete) category. I shot quite a few boxes of that stuff out of a Model 60 some years back, and it was great fun: In bright sunlight, you could almost see the bullet sort of whirring its way downrange.

I also have this box of Vintage Oddities.

[image]

I'm not sure what those Gecos were up to when they cooked up this one.

I think about the only 'armor' it might defeat would be that of an Armordiller, and he might just get mad about it. :-D

--
[image]

'The 200' (lol)

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 15:00 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

Probably the most worthless load ever developed for sale as a factory round, Have stood at the front bumper of a late model car and pointed poinr blank at the windshield and the bullet ricochet off w/o even cracking the glass. Oh well. What was it good for.Maybe a 200 gr. SWC at plus P would have been a better choice????? :-(

Better than the .38 S&W version I guess.

by cas, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 15:22 (4218 days ago) @ lee jurras

.38 Super Police. :-D

Then again none of the .38 S&W loads were impressive. I shot a critter in the back of the head three times with one from point blank range, and all it did was make it dizzy.

And probably not much worse than standard 158 RNL

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 16:24 (4218 days ago) @ lee jurras

In that context, The 200 almost has merit.

Almost... :-D

--
[image]

These are just 'Curios & Relics' to me

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 16:35 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

Or Oddities, as it were.

I don't consider any of them particularly valuable, but since they're not very useful, and I have other .38 ammo to shoot, I've hung onto them.

So far.

Someday, I might fire them away at some tin cans or something, but probably not before I run out of other options.

Besides, they don't take up much room in an ammo can.

Meantime, I think they're interesting conversation pieces, so I haul them out from time to time. :-)

--
[image]

I think Balle Blindée means...

by rob @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 20:17 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

"It'll shoot you're eye out" in French or some such:)

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:58 (4218 days ago) @ rob

Bola Armored is the Spanish translation, according to google.

Or the 130 gr FMJ load

by mcassill, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 07:30 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

Once tried to shoot some holes in old tractor tires to help them sink when the ice melted as I didn't have a cordless drill handy. They just bounced off. The .500 didn't have that problem :-D

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 08:52 (4218 days ago) @ Dave B

Ouch, my brain hurts! Google translate may, perhaps, give one a general idea of the approximate general nonspecific almost not quite idea of the original text, but it leaves a LOT to be desired. One can easily spot the text that was translated by Google and not cleaned up by a person who actually understands both languages.

That "bola armored" for example. "Bola" is an uncommonly used term for "ball", and has nothing to do with "bala", a much more commonly used term for "projectile" or "bullet" (depending on context). The "armored" is the English for "our computer has no idea what this term means". In Spanish the correct term would be "bala blindada" which translates to English as "armored bullet", or more commonly, "full metal jacket bullet".

On the other hand, I kind of like Rob's "you'll shoot your eye out" rendition of the term. :-D

by FOG, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:30 (4218 days ago) @ rob

No, no, no, no, NO! :-D

It means, "Beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

:-P

--
[image]

I've heard those 130s are great for plinking

by FOG, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:42 (4218 days ago) @ mcassill

As long as they don't get stuck in the barrel...

:eyepopping:

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread