Collecting vs. Using

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 10:39 (4219 days ago)

First of all, I don't think they are necessarily mutually exclusive. This is particulalrly true with firearms and their accoutrements: I've owned, used, shot, carried, and even hunted various 'collector items' over the years.

Massad Ayoob once said he realized the guns are here more to take care of us than the other way around, and I think he had a point: They are only things. They should be treated with respect, of course, but it's probably best not to let any simple material item, or even a collection of them, begin to rule your life.

My 'collection' of stuff isn't anywhere near that large, but I still feel compelled to reduce its volume.

Ironically − or perhaps not − one of the main drivers is the fact I just don't use a lot of the stuff I have. To me, this has become clear evidence that I don't need those things.

Finally. :-D

It's a process, of course, and a somewhat cyclical one, but just like they say: Life goes on.

--
[image]

Collecting vs. Using

by passing by, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 11:52 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

Nothing wrong with collecting and not using if the collection is of premium goods unused and collected as an investment which would take a hit in value if used.

To collect and squirrel away out of unadultered pure greed is another matter entirely.

To collect and use items is no problem whatsoever if not premium unused old stuff so long as the items don't possess the owner and not the other way around.

Always keep in mind we are stewards, though, and the attitude of "it is MINE and I can screw it up anyway I want to, and nobody can tell me different!", especially with nice old stuff made the way no longer made, is closely allied to point 2 above as to be indistinguishable in wrongness.

Look at the test pics below your picture posting query and you will see two users and one investment, the investment a duplicate of another.

Collecting vs. Using

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 12:10 (4218 days ago) @ passing by

I understand.

I also happen to have an unused/unsharpened 1960s-vintage #1-8 that I'd like to sell (standard config w/one option: thong hole in the duralumin butt cap).

I paid $1250 for it several years ago at Spaceport Cutlery, but I would probably take less for it.

Interested?

--
[image]

Collecting vs. Using

by passing by, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 12:22 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

I am in middle of paying for a Thorpe and 5-5 Bradford Angier made in mid-60s, and so am tapped out.

I also suspect with market rather flat at moment, you will have trouble getting $900 or less at moment.

The suspicion is collectors bid things up to a bit of bubble bust for time being, but a knife made back when Bo was still running things will never stay down long, especially if Gary drops out of picture and more changes happen at shop.

Personally think the Vietnam-era thing is overblown hype unless it went there and can be proved, but nothing can take away from a knife made when Bo ran things, or even was still in and out of shop keeping his hand in at times.

It is one to hold onto for now, i think you will be glad you did, you or your heirs.

Collecting vs. Using

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 12:30 (4218 days ago) @ passing by

I saw Rhett Stidham a few years ago at The Local Gun Show, and he and his wife both said the same thing: Keep it.

I appreciate your feedback on its probable current value.

I thought it was down a ways, and it would seem so.

I'd still probably sell it or trade it (but for a firearm, or even a stereo, not a knife).

--
[image]

Example

by JLF @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 13:11 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

Over the years I had managed to gather a modest pile of "investment" guns that I had little intention of ever shooting. They were a rainy-day fund that was much more fun to look at and coonfinger than some form of paper. Such guns must be selected wisely, and bought the same way. Sure enough, when I moved and lost my FFL, it came a gusher. I hated parting with a few of them, but it was, after all, raining, and they are what carried me through until I could get back up and running. They all made money too. Instant liquidity, and a good return.

JLF

Some are better at it than others

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 14:13 (4218 days ago) @ JLF

And just about everyone is better at it than I am. :-D

In 40 years or so of buying guns, I can only think of a few that were especially good deals in terms of price.

When I decided to sell the bulk of my collection a few years ago, I'd say I came pretty close to breaking even, but that was only because I had kept most of them 10 years or more, and prices had indeed gone up.

I have to admit, though, it helped that I didn't consider inflation in my accounting. :-D

--
[image]

Collecting vs. Using

by Kentucky, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 15:01 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

I don't think they are necessarily mutually exclusive, either. Of course, I don't consider myself a "collector", more of an "accumulator". Some may call this a semantic distinction, and I'll not argue that. My point is, I have more than a couple of Olde Rugers that have somehow taken up residence in my safe, and I never even considered the "investment" aspect of their purchase. I just like 'em, and they get shot and fondled on a semi-regular basis. These days, probably more fondling than shooting simply because ammo is a little dear. Yes, I reload, but components are a little dear, as well. At any rate, I suffer no "safe queens". I exercise appropriate care in the handling and feeding requirements and perform whatever maintenance is required, but no white-glove pampering.

I'd hate to part with most of them, as each is a little different in one way or another, and I appreciate the distinctions. My wife sees them as inventory for a future sale, and that's OK with me. We are, as mentioned, merely curators of a very short-lived museum.

I'll not begrudge those who actually strive for the very best and keep them pristine and unfired. These examples will serve the future curators with excellent examples for show-and-tell as well as a personal satisfaction in the owning. They might even make the temporary "owners" a few bucks. It's all good.

I do hate to see the old stuff get chopped, but to each his own. It was not my money, after all, and each one chopped makes mine just that much more scarce.

For me, it's just a great hobby.

JMHO

My view is evolving

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 16:20 (4218 days ago) @ Kentucky

For example, Glen recently traded me a really nice .38 Combat Masterpiece, and I am having some trouble working up the nerve to shoot it.

Thirty years ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about it; I would have put the gun right to use, and in fact I did; it was just a different example of the exact same model in about the same condition.

I think we have some responsibility to preserve these artifacts, but I'm starting to lose track of where things begin and end.

Let's say I found myself a nice Model 67-1 to shoot instead of the five-screw. How long before that one would also be 'too good' to use?

I suppose the catch-all answer is, It depends.

--
[image]

I like to know I have had one of some importance in my care.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 16:51 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

I have owned some very cool pieces, and passed them on in pursuit of my next "gotta-have". The latest golden ring is a S&W Model of 1950 .45ACP, made in 1950, with a Jinks letter. Yep, I'm going to shoot it if I happen to scrape up the money before it gets sold to someone else.

Pics, man, pics!

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 17:01 (4218 days ago) @ Andrew

:-D

--
[image]

If I can get it, they'll go up here immediately.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 17:05 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

They are asking $1400. If I can get it for $1200-ish, I may bite. Heck, 625's are bringing north of $900 on GB these days. This one has STYLE!

I agree wholeheartedly and...

by rob @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:20 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

I'm on the same path. I took over 140 books to half priced books a couple weeks ago, got rid of my last 45 Colt (because I don't shoot it) and I'm working on getting rid of moulds and other stuff that went with the caliber. I have been wanting a 12 gauge but my wife and I have an 1100 LT 20 and I just can't see needing anything else. My goal is to get all my personal items into my reloading/gun room/man cave and have it neat and organized and eliminate stuff I don't need or use. The further I get into this process the more I like it.

The used book store is also on my short list

by FOG, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:50 (4218 days ago) @ rob

I have one to take back and several others to trade in.

I don't know their inventory very well, but I'm hoping to find some history books on the Civil War or the Holocaust. I've read a lot on both topics, but nothing very current.

If that doesn't work out, I'll probably just get 'something to read' and take the balance in cash.

Either way, it's a win-win deal. :-)

--
[image]

Collecting vs. Using

by Murphy @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 23:23 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

Given enough time and a passion for several different hobbyies.

One finally looks around to discover they no longer own 'stuff', seemingly it now owns them.

Murphy

I think if I didn't have the few pieces of furniture I do

by FOG, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:02 (4218 days ago) @ Murphy

I could probably fit everything I own in my 4Runner and have room to spare.

I realize it isn't exactly 'normal', I am just more comfortable not having a lot of stuff, and the less of it I have the more comfortable I get.

I certainly feel less crowded by it. I also appreciate the things I do have just a little bit more.

That includes the time to enjoy them.

The extra room is just a bonus. :-)

--
[image]

There is a freedom that goes along with minimalism...

by rob @, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:02 (4217 days ago) @ FOG

that most people just can't understand and a few get really agitated when you try and explain it. I think the latter is kinda funny myself:)

It's similar to not getting fat

by FOG, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:16 (4217 days ago) @ rob

I've fought it all my life, but when I found out they didn't make preshrunk Levi's in Size 35 (Waist), I resolved never to allow myself to 'grow' larger than Size 34.

I'm certainly no athlete, but this has saved me a lot of money on clothes, plus I never get charged extra for [*AHEM*] seating. :-D

--
[image]

It's similar to not getting fat

by rob @, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 13:04 (4217 days ago) @ FOG

When I started doing squats with my weight training I had to move up to 34's from 32's to fit my quads. Now (before this) getting back down to 32's from 36's before I started lifting weights again is another matter. Saw a picture of myself from a hog hunt and decided never again and that is not optional:) in my quest for minimalism I gave my 32's to my oldest son:) You're right, its much easier to not get overweight than it is to undo it and its also a pain in the rear decluttering all the crud when you allow yourself to accumulate it.

For about a ten year period in my life...

by pokynojoe, Friday, March 15, 2013, 08:57 (4217 days ago) @ Murphy

Everything I owned could fit behind the back seat of my Volkswagon Bug...with the back seat in the up position. Living this way, was not without consequence, and I paid a price, but I have to say, never before this time, or since, have I ever felt as free and unencumbered, as I did during that time in my life.

RSS Feed of thread