Need grips for a Colt Police Positive Special

by Catoosa, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 20:03 (4659 days ago)

Picked up a project gun at the local show today - a Colt PPS, cosmetically challenged but not bad mechanically. No grips, but for $150 I figured I could make do. Might try my hand at making a set eventually. I'd like to get hold of some factory stocks to use in the meantime and also to use for a pattern.

This gun dates to late 1956 and has the long, round butt (frame goes all the way to the bottom of the grip, not short with a filler like the later guns). Anyone have such they'd be willing to part with? Condition and/or material not critical.

This gun has had the finish neglected and has some light surface "patina", but no pits and the bore is nice. I screwed on a set of rubber Pachys for a S&W K-frame just to have something to hold on to and shot it a few times just before dark. Shoots nicely and right to the sights - unusual for a fixed-sight gun of that vintage. Timing is a bit slow, but not enough to matter in normal shooting and the DA pull is SLICK. I'm gonna clean it's innards out next week and go to work on the finish with Van's and a 3M pad.

A PPS has been on my "someday" list for years, but prices for the nice ones have gone through the roof. Saw another one at the show today, in very nice condition, for only $475, and the guy wouldn't even talk about taking less.

Colt DAs always seem to time slow for me

by anachronism, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 20:14 (4659 days ago) @ Catoosa

Colt DAs always seem to time slow for me, but they always seem to lock up correctly at the very last instant of trigger motion. Even my old high dollar custom Python did it, and that one had a fortune spent on it. Yours might be okay.

I'll check the shop Monday. Seem to remember some grips but

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 20:18 (4659 days ago) @ Catoosa

might not have been correct.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Midway has vintage grip reproductions. NM

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 05:50 (4659 days ago) @ Catoosa

NM

"Slow carry-up"

by JLF @, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 09:38 (4659 days ago) @ Catoosa

Slow carry-up is the oldest trick in the book for trying to get the price down on any DA Colt, from a Python to a New Service. It's part of the design, and has nothing to do with actually firing the gun, but you can still whine about it like it did, and make the seller feel guilty.:)

JLF

Bucky O' Neil Guns has a set of Stags fpr a PPS I gave

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 10:12 (4659 days ago) @ Catoosa

them a year or so ago. I will see if they are still present. Undrilled.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Brian A, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 11:09 (4659 days ago) @ Catoosa

I picked up a 1925 vintage PPS in 32/20 for the same price a couple months back. It was severely challenged with a pitted exterior and questionable bore. Got it home, gave it a good cleaning and was pleased to find an excellent bore and chambers. The lockwork was rusted pretty good though, so everything had to be de-rusted and re-fitted. Afterwards, the first six shots out of the cylinder went into about 2" at 25 yards, just a little left of aim. The factory grips leave much to be desired for me, so am on the hunt for replacements, but plan to keep the originals. Am looking forward to spending some time getting to know this neat toy.

"Slow carry-up"

by Catoosa, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 19:26 (4658 days ago) @ JLF

Yeah, he accused me of watching "Pawn Shop Stars" and taking notes, but he came down $25 anyway.

This one DID show off-center firing pin hits on one cylinder full where I deliberately staged the DA pull, and one round misfired. In single action and normal DA they were right in the middle. Putting drag on the cylinder when cocking causes the bolt to fall just short of the notch, but when you pull the trigger the hand pushes the cylinder the rest of the way into lockup and there is NO play with the trigger held back. About the same as most Colt DAs with some wear that I have handled.

by Catoosa, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 19:37 (4658 days ago) @ Brian A

Well Brian, I needed another .38 Special revolver like Congress needs more lawyers, but a 4" PPS has always been one that I wanted. This one seemed like a neglected stray kitten that needed a good home. The guy I bought it from buys guns by the palletload from police auctions, and most of what he has is crap that wouldn't make good trotline sinkers.

I'm just an old softie, I guess.

Bucky O' Neil Guns has a set of Stags fpr a PPS I gave

by Catoosa, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 19:42 (4658 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Stags would look great on this gun once I get it restored. I have a Pachmayr adaptor that fits, but all the D-frame grips I have are for the short butt guns.

by Brian A, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 23:39 (4658 days ago) @ Catoosa

Need? Who said anything about need? It sounds to me like you got a very nice toy for a decent price and there is never anything wrong with that, old softie or not. I picked up the 32/20 because the cartridge has always fascinated me, not because there was any need for one, especially one that is another project. :-)

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, January 02, 2012, 06:03 (4658 days ago) @ Brian A

I have one in 32-20 that I've tinkered with over the last few years. You all are making me want to get it out.

BTW a lot of 38 special Police Positive Colts were re imported from South America in the late 1980's or early 1990's by Century Arms. These will be marked on the barrel as usual

I'll check the shop Monday. Seem to remember some grips but

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, January 02, 2012, 17:49 (4657 days ago) @ Hobie

Sorry but they must have sold...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread