air gunning

by stonewalrus, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:26 (4221 days ago)

Got a Beeman p17 air pistol the other day from Sportmans Guide. Single stroke cocking for 400 fps. Pretty accurate and was under $40. At least we can still buy pellets cheap and it doesn't require CO2! Quiet too - got it for playing with in my backyard. Much quieter than CO2 and decent sights. With ammo hard to come buy it has a trigger and goes bang (sort of at least).

You made me look...

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:37 (4221 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I'd not paid attention to that model, looks interesting.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614# has info on them. I'm curious as to accuracy.

Airgunning helps one to keep his hand in. This afternoon a few hours were spent playing with another's toys. An Air Arms FAC S510 and a Hammerli AR20, the first with a 25X scope and the second with a 50X. The AR20 is a fairly light powered rifle, but very accurate. We were smacking 12 gauge shells at 50 yards or so with it. They are both QUIET.

Take a look at the Benjamin Discovery and Marauder if you'd like a good, accurate, reasonably powerful rifle. The Marauder in 25 caliber is quite the powerhouse - and accurate and quiet as well.

Let us know how your Beeman works out accuracy wise. You might try more than one type of pellet, they can be fussy about what they shoot well.

I have a Chinese copy of the side lever German rifle (forgot

by stonewalrus, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:34 (4221 days ago) @ Paul

The name) that is pretty good. I'm more of a pistol shooter. Haven't got the Beeman broken in good yet but appears to be fairly accurate. I also picked up a Makarov CO2 BB pistol (Umarex brand) as a training tool for my wife. I got her a Bersa 22 with a similar feel and have a real Mak as well.

P17 is a Chinese clone......

by Otony, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:43 (4221 days ago) @ Paul

....of the German built P3. Accuracy on the various forums is reported as quite good.

There are a few known foibles, all easily rectified and not necessarily present on every P17. Considering the cost difference between the German made version, and the Chinese, one can buy a LOT of pellets. Even if it needs to be "tuned" it is still a serious bargain. I have been shooting a P3 for about 10 years with zero complaints, and wouldn't mind a P17 as backup.

I have been shooting a tuned Diana 34 .22 of late, along with a .177 Crosman 1720T. Both are more accurate than me, especially the Crosman. Cool stuff, but neither will replace my Air Arms S400K!

Otony

I knew it was a Chinese copy but the reviews I read were

by stonewalrus, Monday, March 11, 2013, 06:01 (4221 days ago) @ Otony

Good.

air gunning

by Drago, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:41 (4221 days ago) @ stonewalrus

A retired buddy and I shoot in his back yard. We both have Beeman R-7's in .177. We shoot regular paper targets, old shotgun shells, and Necco wahers at 50 feet. I made a holder for the Necco wafers from a 1X2 and alligator clips. Challenging.

RSS Feed of thread