My 2nd K22: A 'Short Range' Report

by FOG, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 17:25 (4221 days ago)

It's downright mean to helpless little old tin cans. :-D

[image]

--
[image]

by Murphy @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 17:57 (4221 days ago) @ FOG

That sure is a pretty thing. I don't NEED one, but you keep putting that picture up making me WANT one.

On a side note, I'm amazed there simply aren't any .22 shells to be had. Well, unless you want to feel like you've been had anyway.

It all makes sense though. Down through the years, seems like more than one 'What if you could only have one gun?' articles I read. I want to think it was Skeeter and Bill Jordan having a conversation about that. It came down to a .22 LR. I read more than 2-3 articles and it seemed to always come down to that.

I did a little math the other day. Given what .22's are going for, how many primers I have and the fact I cast my own. I can honestly shoot a cast centerfire for less. Shocking isn't it?

Murphy

by FOG, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:10 (4221 days ago) @ Murphy

It is pretty crazy out there.

I wonder if those supporting 'gun control' realize just how badly their little plans have backfired so far. This is at least the second time around they've sold more guns and ammo than anyone else in recorded history, but I kind of doubt it.

I do hope we see .22 ammo return to dealers' shelves soon. I have some, but you can never have too much.

--
[image]

.22 Ammo

by rob @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:05 (4221 days ago) @ FOG

I really want to stock up on better ammo like Stingers and Mini-Mags but its impossible to find for less than scalper prices. Murphy's right, I can shoot center fire for less using my components and home cast bullets. Most of the time though its a lot more fun plinking with those little 22's.

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:01 (4221 days ago) @ Murphy

Murphy:

My local purveyor has (or at least had on Saturday) a blued S&W K-frame .22 4 inch. Cannot remember the price. Let me know if you'd like his contact information.

Rem

by Murphy @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:42 (4220 days ago) @ Remington40x

Thanks for the heads up and offer to put me onto the K-22. However, I have both a 4" and 6".

That 617 just calling my name. Heck, I need to wring out my 4" K-22 (Model 18), it's not seen enough use of late.

Murphy

One of the things .22's are particularly adept at...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 11, 2013, 14:57 (4221 days ago) @ FOG

For my education, you refer to this lovely piece of equipment as a 'K22'. Is this just a generic description or the actual model or ???

My limited understanding was that the K22/Target Masterpiece was the 6" and the 4" was the Combat Masterpiece. These became the Model 17 and Model 18 respectively along with some 'muddying of the lines' with 4" M-17's appearing here and there until only the Smith-ophiles were able to keep track.

Either way, it's a nice package for certain.

Technically speaking, I think that's right

by FOG, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 15:35 (4219 days ago) @ Hoot

"K22" generally refers to the longer-barreled models.

OTOH, when I say to myself, "K38 Combat Masterpiece," that sounds right to me.

Perhaps it's like "clip" and "magazine": A certain segment of the population knows exactly what's meant and goes right on reading; Another gets, for lack of a better term, "stuck" (as in craw); Still another doesn't know the difference or couldn't care less.

Then, of course, you have the infamous .45 Long Colt. :eyepopping:

That one's my personal favorite, so I bring it up every chance I get. :-D

--
[image]

I wasn't trying to pick nits,

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 06:37 (4219 days ago) @ FOG

more trying to understand what are, if any, the differences. I will lay the name on any K-framed .22 with a Patridge sight from now on and loudly defend that position. ;-)

I wasn't either

by FOG, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 12:36 (4219 days ago) @ Hoot

I just like bringing up the .45 Long Colt. :-D

--
[image]

The .45 Long Colt . . .

by Kentucky, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 15:31 (4218 days ago) @ FOG

. . . has been my favorite handgun chambering for many years now!

:-D ;-) :-D

The .45 Long Colt - my favorite too once I fired one

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 20:13 (4218 days ago) @ Kentucky

Nm

I had one once

by FOG, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:14 (4218 days ago) @ stonewalrus

But it was a 'collector item' so I never shot it.

I just hung onto the moniker. :-D

--
[image]

Also, on the 617

by FOG, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 15:47 (4219 days ago) @ Hoot

I don't think any of these terms were ever used by the factory as descriptors for any variation of that model:
• K22
• Masterpiece
• Combat Masterpiece

(Sorta like the 4-inch 617s all came with Patridge front sights, never ramped ones.)

The line changed a lot over the years, as did the nomenclature used to describe it, both inside and outside Springfield.

--
[image]

And on the K-frame itself

by FOG, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 15:55 (4219 days ago) @ Hoot

As far as I know, it is no longer manufactured, and all current models are built on the L-frame.

I think S&W might still call it a "K-frame" (or perhaps "medium frame"), but I don't believe it is one; I'm pretty sure it is dimensionally identical to the L-frame.

I don't have a current reference, though (or even an old one, for that matter).

If I recall correctly (which I may not), S&W discontinued the actual K-frame something like ten years ago.

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread