Live and Learn

by Charles, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 13:44 (4222 days ago)

I have always through my Sig P239 was lighter than my Glock 17. I put both of them, fully loaded, on a very accurate scale. The Sig weighted 1.996 lb and the Glock 1.992. The Glock with 9 more rounds in the magazine was a hair lighter.

Of course the Glock is thicker and longer, but I am starting to rethink what I am carrying around this town.

Glocks

by rob @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 14:01 (4222 days ago) @ Charles

I wish Glock would make their grips a bit more ergonomic. I love the guns, if they just fit my hand better I would consider them the perfect pistol. The old 19's and 17's fit my hand pretty good except the finger grooves scrunch my hand into an unnatural position and the slide cuts the web of my hand after 50 rounds. The Gen4 guns will likely solve the latter letting me get my hand further under the grip frame but the grooves just have to go. I get along better with my G21 Gen4 but its still like gripping a 4X4. I'm tempted to trade it for a Sig 220 Elite with the standard 4.4" barrel and then I'll have a pair of almost perfect 45's. Almost perfect because the Sig isn't nearly as snag free and poke free as the Glock. Like I say, the Glock would be the best pistol in the world if it had a grip shaped like a human hand:)

Glocks are hard to beat...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 17:28 (4222 days ago) @ Charles

for their intended purpose.

I beat mine into a Sig 229 Elite this afternoon...

by rob @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 19:00 (4222 days ago) @ Sarge

It just fits my hand better and I shoot them better. I'll find the right holster and it will be perfect. It also feels and points exactly like my P220 and consistency is good:)

I had a 239 briefly, i swear it weighed more than my P220.

by cas, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 19:34 (4222 days ago) @ Charles

That's why i sold it. That and the grip just didn't fit me. I tried, I really tried to love that gun. Even now that I know it's heavy and it doesn't fit me, I'm still drawn to them. Pity.

a Glock 19 or 23 feels better to me than a P239

by bj @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 21:32 (4222 days ago) @ Charles

The P239 has a narrower and shorter grip, and has a top-heavy feel to me.

I think the Glock is better for defensive purposes, because I think it is more reliable and it has higher capacity. The only advantage I can think of for the P239 is that it can be safely carried with the chamber loaded and not in a holster. I think the P239 would be a fine choice for a person if that is what they wanted.

I think both are good (G17 & P239)

by FOG, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 08:40 (4222 days ago) @ Charles

But neither are small, so I might go with the G17, too. If a person can carry one, he can most likely get away with the other.

However, magazine capacity would not be at the top of my list of reasons for making a choice.

I think it's most important to have a handgun that always works and one that you can always have with you.

For those whose lifestyles allow them to carry full-size service pistols or revolvers, the field is wide-open nowadays, but it's pretty hard to argue against the G17; it's well-proven.

For those who can't, I think the P239 is probably a little on the large size.

In my experience, this is usually true of 'compacts'; most, if not all, aren't that much smaller or lighter than their full-size counterparts.

In the GLOCK lineup, I think you have to go to the G26 to realize much benefit in that regard; among the SIGs, I don't really know. I've only owned a P220, and that was a long time ago.

--
[image]

a Glock 19 or 23 feels better to me than a P239; ME TOO.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:12 (4222 days ago) @ bj

And the S&W M&P Shield has made the SIG 239 Obsolete.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Don't overlook the excellent S&W Shield in 9mm

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:17 (4222 days ago) @ FOG

we have a couple in the household and really like them. they have great triggers and compact and flat. My daughter stole my Shield and "forced" me to buy a XDs in .45:-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I had a S&W Shield in my hands Sunday...

by rob @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 20:47 (4220 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

And it was hard to pass it up. Wife is signed up for CHL class (FINALLY) and I have a pretty good idea she'll be the owner of one pretty soon. Nice little poppers.

And I really like that XDs!

by rob @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 20:51 (4220 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That's the only gap in my carry arsenal....a little gun with a big bark:)

RSS Feed of thread