Had to put down my neighbor's horse tonight.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, December 30, 2011, 18:36 (4660 days ago)

A 31 year old bay saddlebred gelding. It had been in several movies, including Gettysburg (my neighbor is a reenactor and has been in a number of those films). Never an easy thing to shoot such a beautiful animal. There was no way he could do it and I was happy to help. You can get the toughest old cowboy and when it comes time to put down the pony, they'll weep unashamedly. There is just something about a horse. Skeeter's load worked just fine and the gelding felt nothing. Hope there are horses and dogs in heaven, but I'm sure there must be, otherwise it wouldn't be heaven.

That is never fun to do. Good on you for stepping up

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, December 30, 2011, 20:59 (4660 days ago) @ Wildcat

nm

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Had to put down my neighbor's horse tonight.

by Jhenry, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 13:58 (4659 days ago) @ Wildcat

Good job for helping him out. A true friend. I used a load Skeeter wrote about in 45 Colt to put down a severely injured Limousin cow years ago. That slug penetrated like the dickens through the skull and into the neck. It may just be that the old boy knew one or two things about sixguns and loads that work.

That gun went by the wayside but I should have kept it.

RSS Feed of thread