More .45 ACP goodness...

by FOG, Friday, December 30, 2011, 16:15 (4660 days ago)

'Old' gun, new holster...Woohoo!

Bowen S&W 'Model 1917/50' / Milt Sparks Summer Special
[image]
[image]

:-)

--
[image]

Hard to beat a Summer Special. Bruce Nelson really knew

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, December 30, 2011, 16:51 (4660 days ago) @ FOG
edited by Rob Leahy, Friday, December 30, 2011, 21:59

what he was about when he designed that. And it was a very smart move and providential for us all that he was gracious enough to share and encourage the building of the design with Milt Sparks. Fairly decent pistol there too:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

What a rig!

by brionic @, Friday, December 30, 2011, 17:45 (4660 days ago) @ FOG

More .45 ACP goodness...

by Drago, Friday, December 30, 2011, 18:10 (4660 days ago) @ FOG

Are those the original grips or after market?

The grips were made at the factory.

by FOG, Friday, December 30, 2011, 22:54 (4660 days ago) @ Drago

They are pre-WWII S&W "Magna" stocks with the large medallions and other characteristics of that period (basically the mid- to late-1930s).

In the postwar era, the medallions shrunk to their present-day diameter, and the factory took to calling them "Service" stocks.

Hope this helps.

:-)

PS: The grips are not numbered to this gun or any other, which would tend to indicate they were originally made and purchased as an accessory item.

The grips were made at the factory.

by Drago, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 14:07 (4659 days ago) @ FOG

Thanks.

Wow!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 06:55 (4660 days ago) @ FOG

That is one hell of a great combo! How's the big N frame feel IWB? My two favorite holster styles are the summer special and Askins Avenger.

Doug K

Et Tu Doug... Did I send you a Sourdough with Inside out

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 11:11 (4659 days ago) @ Slow Hand

straps? It is the most comfortable way to carry an N frame all day every days for years on end. I have slept in it while in big bear contry comforting AND comfortable;-) [image]

--

I have to dig out my inside out straps - assuming I have

by brionic @, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 12:43 (4659 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

pants big enough to carry IWB - but mine are for the .45 Blackhawk, which seems just as practical, in most senses. Convertible, of course ;)

I was just admiring that Blackhawk holster yesterday. It has really stood up to the beating I've given it, although I'm sure it pales compared to some of yours that have been used day in and day out, under armor, and in the field.

Initial Test Results: N-frame IWB

by FOG, Saturday, December 31, 2011, 21:49 (4659 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by FOG, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 01:10

Let's just say I need me some bigger pants. :eyepopping:

On a more serious note, I also like the 'original' Summmer Special, but I would bet that Sourdough rig works a lot better. Both are probably about equal in terms of retention, but it's hard to beat a pancake for comfort and concealment. Add a thumb break/strap, and the Sourdough wins all around.

So, why the Summer Special? No reason, really.

I just wanted one...for a revolver. :-)

SP Is a very cool holster, no doubt.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, January 01, 2012, 20:09 (4658 days ago) @ FOG

n m

--

RSS Feed of thread