The 'UNholster': Another Brief Review

by FOG, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 10:17 (4230 days ago)
edited by FOG, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 13:00

(Edited for grammar + Figure caption added)

I like fine leather holsters as much as anyone, but I have to admit I always wanted to try a Clipdraw on a J-frame.

When I picked up this early AirLite model a couple of years ago, I just couldn't resist. :-D

[image]
Smith & Wesson Model 342 'AirLite' (.38 Special, not .357)
Bianchi Speed Strip / Federal 125-gr Nyclad (Standard Pressure, not +P)
Spyderco 'Jess Horn' (C27P)

Since then, it's been my EDC, and I must say, it works very well, within its obvious limitations.

I use it in the Appendix Position, just inside the front belt loop on my Levi's, and I have found that if I slide the gun backwards and butt the clip against the loop on my pants, things stay very well put indeed.

I wouldn't want to run a marathon wearing this rig, but since I can't anyway, I generally don't worry about such things. :-D

Meantime, it does make for extremely discreet, yet easily accessible, concealed carry. This as partially due to the merits of the position itself, of course, but this setup is among the best I've ever tried for the J-frame.

About the only thing I don't like is the cheesy-looking mounting screw, but I have to admit it does the job. (Well, that and the original high-polish finish, but that was easy enough to fix with Scotchbrite...)

Also, just a guess, but it might not work quite as comfortably with J-frames having the old, standard, thinner barrel profile. The fatter, shrouded barrel of the AirLite is probably more 'gut-friendly'. :-D

--
[image]

+1

by Byron, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 12:18 (4230 days ago) @ FOG

The belt clip is idealy suited to inside the pants "appendix" carry. It allows instant access to the sidearm standing, moving or seated. It is even readily at hand when in a car with the seat belt fastened. Carried in front like this your hand is naturally positioned near and most times infront of the gun. It will not print as one turns or bends over. This of course does not hold true for one that is overweight with a belly that hangs over the belt. That is a whole 'nother issue altogether. This method of carry has it all over pocket carry in that once one is moving or seated, a gun in the pocket is slow/impossible to get to. Of course the exception is a hammerless J frame in a jacket pocket. There is nothing more handy or faster than having the weapon in your hand and shooting through the pocket.

[image]

The Keltec is sometimes looked down upon but I have found nothing that can compare when power (full 9mm +p+), size, durability, corrosion resistance (with the hard chrome finish), reliabiltiy, cost, capacity and customer service. The loaded handgun and a spare mag gives 25 rounds ready to go. I bought this one for my daughter when she commissioned and she loved it. When she was killed I began to carry it. She's kinda looking over me two ways now.

The only drawback for this method of carry is that one must have either shirt tail out or zipped jacket on to cover it. I wear a suit most of the time so carry it behind my right hip inside the pants and that also works great however it is hard to get to when seated.

The exception to this is the ClipDraw version for the Glock pistols. Glocks should never be carried in anything other than a stiff holster that completely covers the trigger and guard. Many have shot themselves when putting a loaded Glock in their waistband. No Bueno!!!!!!

http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=392&action=show_detail
Byron

Cool beans!

by FOG, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 12:31 (4230 days ago) @ Byron

No pun intended. :-D

--
[image]

+1x2

by rob @, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 13:04 (4229 days ago) @ Byron

Agreed. However, I have been carrying my G21 AIWB with the Glock-Tech MIC (Minimal Inside Carry). It's a little Kydex clip that completely covers the whole trigger guard and has a cord that loops through the belt. Great little system, just draw the gun and the clip snaps off and hangs from the belt. It takes two hands to reholster but unlike some other similar clip styles that use a belt loop, you don't have to remove it from the belt first...just snap it on and tuck it back in.

+1

by Alfred John, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 13:27 (4229 days ago) @ Byron

The trigger block being offered works great on securing the trigger on the Glocks. It will push out with the trigger finger. There is a small set screw (Plastic or nylon) on the block where you can adjust the tension to hold the trigger block in place. I use these on my Glocks and never had one come out except when I wanted it to. As a side note when these were available, from another source they were bright red or orange and very visible. When Clip Draw acquired them they changed them to Black. I figure they did it to make the trigger blocks less visible. The trigger blocks can also be secured as a storage aid, using a small padlock to prevent the block from being removed. I like them. Recommend them to everyone. Just saying. have a good weekend.

Clip holster review on the LCP. (technaclip.com)

by cas, Sunday, March 03, 2013, 22:19 (4228 days ago) @ FOG

http://technaclip.com/

I recently bought a technaclip for my LCP. I likes how it attached with a mechanical means, rather than two faced tape.

I really like how it works, gives a nice deep carry with great concealment. A slow draw, but when you're bending the rules carrying, positive concealment is critical.

Here's a photo of it snatched off the web.

[image]

Unfortunately, the design for the LCP anyway was a serious flaw.

This is what you look like after a few magazines.

[image]

Now I'm torn. I know in all practical applications this is meaningless. If I ever need to use the gun as a weapon, I sure won't fire a few magazines, or notice a little cut. But it sure doesn't lead one to want to practice with it.

I have to see what I can do with it to ease this problem, rather than removing it to practice.

RSS Feed of thread