Books and some rambling.

by Alfred John, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 20:17 (4233 days ago)

Last night I was watching the Sportsman's Channel Direct TV. Not too bad, one segment was about self defense shooting or some such. It was geared to evidently the beginning shooter, but in the course of the program, they kept talking about shooting and moving to avoid becoming the target. Sounds reasonable, but why didn't they say anything about hitting what you are shooting at. It seems a number of these so-called informational programs, go into a lot different shooting stances and moves. It seems a lot is based on various competition events. Anyway I got to thinking about it some today. I have met Bill Jordan and have bought and read and studied his book, "No Second Place Winner". It seems most shooting classes seem to forget you have to hit the bad guy or target, He was very fast, minimal movement and of course deadly accurate. He claimed if you want to be a good pistol man, you need to be able to draw on kill the person (Bad Guy) before he can shoot you, even if he has his gun and is ready and willing to shoot you. Of course it may different these days with the snatch resistant holsters and so on. Just thought I would vent my feelings and what is being called proper firearms instruction these days. Of course I cut my teeth on revolvers that may mean something. Anyway don't mean to step on anyones toes over this I wish everyone a good day and week. Hang in there. ATB

I'm not so sure today's...

by FOG, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 03:05 (4233 days ago) @ Alfred John

I'm not so sure today's 'average' beginning shooter really cares much about hitting the target.

In one recent case I overheard, the noob complained about not being able to hold the gun steady while humming. One wonders exactly what tune such people 'march' to sometimes...

...And then they come out with something like this!

[image]

[image]

--
[image]

Yeah - instead of making........

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 08:22 (4233 days ago) @ FOG

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

:banghead:

I suppose they just weren't making enough money from

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:09 (4233 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

those and so had to do something (apparently ANYTHING) else. I am so glad I didn't turn down a single one I had an opportunity to purchase.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Spotted a very clean used USFA 5.5" 45Colt Rodeo 699

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 10:35 (4233 days ago) @ Hobie

dang if I wasn't tempted to buy it...after owning one and NOT carrying it at all...I like em really like Colt SAA and the New Frontier...1911s,N frames and now XDs get the nod for daily carry guns.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Can you steer me into it? I never turn down a deal on a USFA

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 13:42 (4233 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

:-)

Can you steer me into it? I never turn down a deal on a USFA

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 19:56 (4232 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

e-mail sent

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thanks! nm

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 21:16 (4232 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I suppose they just weren't making enough money from

by Drago, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 19:40 (4232 days ago) @ Hobie

It probably would have helped if they were available at local retailers. I asked about ordering one, and was told that all the LGS could only get was whatever the distributors would send them.If I wanted a 4" Storekeeper/Sheriff's Model I was out of luck. The two I do own came from GunBroker auctions.

Earp.

by JLF @, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 08:25 (4233 days ago) @ Alfred John

Some of the best advice I ever heeded was delivered a long time ago by Wyatt Earp. He said "Take your time...fast". That was a bit of a mystery until I got old enough and smart enough. Bill Jordan embraced the idea as well. Be deliberate, don't hesitate for any reason, and take the time to shoot accurately, rather than slinging lead all over the street with blazing(and useless) speed. I found that even though it felt like molasses, doing this was not really much slower than lead slinging, and made a huge difference when the scores were tallied. Which is, of course, what counts.

JLF

I think that 90% of hitting a living target is "will". One

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:07 (4233 days ago) @ Alfred John

must be willing to do so. In combat, it would seem to me as I've never been in combat of any kind (honest!), one must demonstrate the will immediately, unflinchingly, come what may.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I am reading the book American Sniper about Chris Kyle

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 13:58 (4233 days ago) @ Hobie

Pretty good book. I'm not through the Seal training yet - seriously ROUGH - but Chris talks about will/never give up a lot. BTW our own famous Rob Leahy suggested buying the book as a way to support his widow and sons. Getcha one!

I am also reading it

by woody, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 18:45 (4232 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Started reading it today. Got through the first 4 chapters. I looked at it before but for the same reason stated I bought it this week. Must be popular since his death. It was right on the counter at Barnes And Noble. I feel for his family.

I am reading the book American Sniper about Chris Kyle

by Alfred John, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 09:53 (4232 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I too have bought the book. It is well written and with a nice style. I hope his family is doing well. We lost him too soon. I see mention he was working on a second book, wonder if it may make onto the market. One thing he mentions is the old saw, Violence never settles anything. He found extreme violence does settle things. Gotta love his attitude towards those who would do harm to him or his buddies (Troops). Have a good day.

Yep.

by JLF @, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 16:39 (4232 days ago) @ Hobie

That was the gist of Earp's advice. With unwavering determination, and concentration, aim, and shoot. I have taught newbies for years to get all of the morality stuff out of the way well in advance of carrying a gun. A split second of "should I shouldn't I" hestitation can be fatal.

JLF

I would agree.

by FOG, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 21:14 (4232 days ago) @ Hobie

But only if 'instinct' is truly dead in the individual (or just buried in intellectualism, or some other dogma).

Hunting and killing is perfectly natural.

However, I must also say, I think society's current preoccupation with killing other people, or just 'shooting' them − by means of self-defense or any other − is UNnatural.

The minute we start blindly accepting it as 'normal', I think we're finished as a so-called "society."

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread