Skeeter

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 16:13 (4234 days ago)

I wish I had bought Skeeter's books before they became so expensive.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Paging Dr. Leahy! If Skeeter feels his holster maker is as important as his Doctor, I damn sure ain't gonna argue!

Yes, I had many opportunities which didn't coincide with

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 16:17 (4234 days ago) @ Dave B

available money. It somehow always seemed more important that the kids have glasses, food, clothing and a warm place to sleep at night. Now I can except I can't bring myself to pay those prices. :-D I did read every word published in magazines, one way or another.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Yes, I had many opportunities which didn't coincide with

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 16:22 (4234 days ago) @ Hobie

One of the chief reasons I still have the 2005&2006 Hodgdon Reloading Magazine, I love Skeeter's stories.

Skeeter

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 17:12 (4233 days ago) @ Dave B

As a kid I got the first soft cover compilation of stories he'd written for Shooting Times. As I recall, I bought it while the family was on vacation to the Grand Canyon. Between my brother, Dad and I we literally wore it out during the trip. I kept it and reread it numerous times, as well as all the Shooting Times articles I'd kept from '77 till well after his demise. In '03 I'd moved my family out to the country and the pipes froze in our old house which had not yet sold. All those magazines, and the soft cover book were destroyed. I've since shopped around a lot on Amazon and managed to get a couple of his books again. I paid more than I liked, but given the years of enjoyment and learning, I look on it as an investment in my (and hopefully my kids')education.

Skeeter

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:24 (4233 days ago) @ Wildcat

I've had most of Skeeters books but what I value most is the hours I have spent in his company. His home, my home, in the field. Conventions, and the bar. Cheers Skeeter :-)

Skeeter

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:31 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

Those would indeed be cherished memories.

Lee, would you please write a post about your life and

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 20:11 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

The things you did ,and the people you met,and the gun`s you shot and how did you get into buliding guns and ammo ?. I sure would like to read it . Best Regards Frank Mcclelland:-D

Oh boy, another book! Seriously, I think a LOT of people

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 20:14 (4233 days ago) @ Fivegunner

would be interested.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 20:34 (4233 days ago) @ Fivegunner

I'm afraid it would encompass more than a post, numerous people have asked me to do a book.
A few people I have spent more than a little time with and happy to call friends would be as follows.
Elmer Keith, Col Chas Askins, Bill Askins, Bill Jordan, Skeeter, JD Jones, John Linebaugh, John Taffin, Kent Lomont.Bob Steindler,Warren Center, Kent Bella, Jack O'Conner, Ray Speer, Hal Swigget,George Nonte, Dean Grennell,Harry Sandford. Larry Grossman,John Lachuck, Frank Hempsted, to name a few in the industry, sorry if I missed a few of my older shooting buddies from yesteryear, 7 Alaskan trips and 3 African safaries would add to that. Owning and or shooting abount everything fro 17 to 50BMG guns and cartridges, Hunting all the lower 48 that allow handgunting. Owning a complete ballistics lab. Oh yes, Dr. Ken Oehler another friend.
More some other time. Thanks for your interest.

Now is the time..

by Charles, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 21:15 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

You hold experiences and knowledge of your own and of others that should be preserved and passed on. You have made many contributions to shooting and the shooting community, this is one more that should be made.

I am not trying to tell you what to do, just expressing my opinion. It would be a great loss to one day, not have all that is in your head.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 22:13 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

I too would be interested in a book from you.

I've been reading "Good Friends, Good Guns, Good Whiskey"...

by FOG, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 02:43 (4233 days ago) @ Dave B

I've been reading "Good Friends, Good Guns, Good Whiskey" for about the millionth time, lately, and it never, ever gets old.

Both it and "Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapenos" are squarely in the Keeper Category.

[image]

--
[image]

I would also be interested in buying a copy...

by FOG, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 02:50 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

I would also be interested in buying a copy of your autobiography in book form.

Perhaps others could help you get it published.

I bet it would sell well if properly marketed.

--
[image]

I have a framed 5x7 photo of a Howdah pistol

by Bud, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 08:36 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

signed by Lee. It hangs in my loading room. Lee was the hero of us early handgun hunters back in the 70's when hunting with a handgun was considered strange indeed.

Charles is right. Talk with JT about Dragon. You

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:14 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

could just talk your way through it. What a treasure such a book would be. History! But we would never presume to tell you to do anything. If I may point out though that it would be a great service to the memory of each of your many friends. I'd love to hear/read more about George Nonte. I apologize if I overstepped. I am just very enthusiastic about recording history.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Where can I send a deposit . . .

by Kentucky, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:31 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

. . . for a first-edition copy??

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Skeeter: When that compilation came ojut, I was at the Grand

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 10:02 (4233 days ago) @ Wildcat

canyon, working on a road crew in the Nat'l Forrest. Our grader broke down and they cut us kids loose. My buddy, Steve had a VW Bug, we took our time going home and at one of the stops I discovered this collection Skeeter. I was not much company after that. My head was stuck in that book reading about the .44 associates, Dobe Grant's 1917 Colt, WWII, the border, Jug Johnson, I was hooked and read the covers of it. Several years ago One of the fine men here sent me a mint copy of Skeeter Skelton on Handguns. I cherish it. I will be auctioning off a copy of Good Friends Good Guns and Good Whiskey.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Like to drive over and meet you Lee

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 11:24 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

I live 2 1/2 hours SW of you.

Dave

Writing a book sounds too much like homework to me,

by AkRay, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:09 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

and who needs that in their life? I'd be interested in reading about Lee Jurras' experiences too, but at this point in his life there are probably other demands on his time that need to be seen to. He has a family and children and grandchildren. I'll soon be 49 and there are a lot of things that I still want to do. Where is the time for it though? I'm grateful for Lee's presence here and on other boards and the writings that he and others have already done. If what's available now is all we ever get I will be satisfied. Thanks Lee, and all the best to you too.

Like to drive over and meet you Lee

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 13:31 (4233 days ago) @ Dave B

Dave, give me a chance to get my Radiation treatments out of the way, so I can be a little more hospitable. Will let you know. Where abouts you live? ATB, Lee

Lee, a book is an excellent idea. I will do everything I can

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 13:36 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

to promote it.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 13:38 (4233 days ago) @ AkRay

Thanks AkRay, you kinda hit the nail on the head. My main objective now is getting those Radiation treatments out of the way. And getting things in order. Maybe stories later on. ATB, Lee
Yep I'll be 79 in July, and those little nagging things hang on a little longer.
Eight Gr. Gr kids also.

Lee

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 14:03 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

At your pleasure sir! I live in Alamogordo, so not too far of a trip.

you could get a tape recorder and stock up on tapes

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 16:06 (4233 days ago) @ lee jurras

And let somebody else sort out all the stories. I wish I'd done that with my grandfather or even my mother. Shoot, with the type what you say software you could even go that route with your stories.

Lee

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 17:22 (4232 days ago) @ Dave B

Yep, just over the hill, and down in the Pecos valley. ATB, Lee

AMEN! Gotta have those priorities straight.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 19:15 (4232 days ago) @ lee jurras

I'm praying that all goes well re: the radiation treatments et al.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 04:02 (4232 days ago) @ lee jurras

I'll second what AK Ray said. If you write a book I'll buy one, but I value the correspondence we've had even more. Prayers up for you Amigo. Take care of yourself, rest and enjoy those Grand-kids.

True, but a book would be a great legacy to pass on to the

by stonewalrus, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 05:56 (4232 days ago) @ Sarge

Grandkids. Even if it never fully got into the finalized published book form.

Now is the time..

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 07:35 (4232 days ago) @ Charles

Charles, Thanks for the vote of confidence but, I'm not sure how much is left in my head. The past few years I have been assisting Bert Mason in his monumental work on Harry Sanford and his Firearms. Namely my efforts with the AUTO MAG. Many things I had forgotten or at least put out of mind. Then certain names come up or, certain instances somebody will mention, and it refreshing my mind and I can then elaborate
I don't think it amatter of forgeting as just putting certain things out of mind.
EXAMPLE: Built the first CUP pressure bbls for the 357,41, and 44 AM cartridges while most of the Major loading manuals were developing load data from working with actual guns and trying to deturmine info from effects of fired cases etc.
Much load data available today is virtually worthless, or at least unfounded. FWIW dept.:-|

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 07:39 (4232 days ago) @ Sarge

Thanks Sarge and the feeling is mutual. ATB, Lee;-)

RSS Feed of thread