Long Strange Trip

by JLF @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 12:41 (4237 days ago)

After an 8 month saga that nobody would believe if I wrote it down, I am back among the ranks of licensed dealers. I am still "texjack" on Gunbroker, and I will be posting some goodies as the week moves along. Give 'til it hurts.:-D

Honest Arch.

Dang, Jack - all because of a change of address?

by John K., Saturday, February 23, 2013, 12:54 (4237 days ago) @ JLF

Yep.

by JLF @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 14:11 (4237 days ago) @ John K.

If you own your home(in the right county, and have no HOA) it's a slam-dunk, if you rent, it's a living hell of documents, affidavits, hoop-jumping, and surly ATF agents. Approval required two moves, starting over, and countless weeks of waiting.

JLF

Between tex jack and mandoclassics being absent from

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 14:58 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

gunbroker I was getting the dry heaves every time I looked over there... Glad your back!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

We are back too, Rob! :-P

by matt/pa @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:06 (4236 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I had a bit better experience than our friend Arch here.

I emailed my address change to the ATF and got an acknowledgement from them 3 weeks later. The next day, I had a call from the local agent with a few minor questions and had my new license a week later.

I am now officially back and "in business".

Hope all is well with you and Jan. Looking forward to seeing you guys in June.

Matt

OH, YEAh 2 35 WHELENS AND A cOLT1911...Jack &

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:08 (4236 days ago) @ matt/pa

his Serieas 70 and very affordable .44 special...now I remember!:-D

--

:-P

by matt/pa @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:17 (4236 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

:-D :-D

We are back too, Rob! :-P

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 16:45 (4236 days ago) @ matt/pa

Most happy that you are settled in.
Can we look for you in June?

Thanks, Tom. You bet we will be there in June!!

by matt/pa @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:35 (4236 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

Been looking forward to it since June 12th of last year!!

Matt

Dang. I forgot about local issues. Obtaining a business

by John K., Sunday, February 24, 2013, 11:59 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

license is usually instantaneous for a county, but inside the city limits it can be a nightmare if you are not zoned commercial. I can't get one in my city and without it, the feds won't issue the FFL. Even tho I'm at the edge of town and zoned "agricultural".

All because of BS "zoning".

Have you tried getting a home-based business variance?

by matt/pa @, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 16:50 (4235 days ago) @ John K.

I ran into a similar issue in my last location and requested a zoning variance for a home internet business...no customers, no advertising, no traffic, no signs, etc... just a home based on-line business.

My local zoning inspector was OK with it. The ATF required that the zoning variance stated it was for home-based on-line internet sales of firearms (no just "sporting goods" as I first tried). Once the zoning variance was correctly worded and approved, I had my license in a few months...

Just a thought...hope it helps.

Matt

I did, even went to the zoning board - still denied.

by John K., Sunday, February 24, 2013, 17:27 (4235 days ago) @ matt/pa

I submitted nothing would be visible, no traffic in and out. Still denied.

When I pointed out that the agricultural zoning allowed me to buy and sell tractors in my front yard, they said yes, that would be fine. I can even build a church on my property. No guns. The problem here is the city hired a bunch of "professional" city management people from out of state.

I'm in process of building a 4000sq ft. shop at my farm out in the county, ten miles from the nearest town of 400 people... once I get set up there, no more city for me.

Ouch - tough local crowd! Glad you're going the

by matt/pa @, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 17:51 (4235 days ago) @ John K.

"shop out in the country" concept...probably better off in the end!

Let me know if I can help with the process in any way.

Take care, John.

Matt

No city for me... For me too! can't stand em.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 20:50 (4235 days ago) @ John K.

neighbors got together for a road meeting wanted to PAVE the road...I told em to move to wear the roads were paved already.

--

Yep.

by JLF @, Monday, February 25, 2013, 13:08 (4235 days ago) @ John K.

I had to get a zoning variance approval letter from the city. Austin said no way, Ft. Worth was a routine deal. Also an approval letter from the property owner of record, just the landlord won't cut it. So if you rent a shop in a little strip center or some such, you better know who the actual owner is, and their attitude.

In Austin, I rented a space in an antique store in Buda, a small town next door in another county. The shop owner was cool, the man who was buying the building was cool, the town of Buda was cool. But the man buying the building was making payments, and the deed had not been transferred to him. This made the "owner of record" a little old lady in Austin who had a s**t hemmorage over guns in her building. That killed the whole deal.

JLF

Welcome back, Arch ;-P

by matt/pa @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:06 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

Glad you are back. Looking forward to seeing your auctions and posts here. Keep them coming!

Matt

Welcome Back!

by FOG, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:44 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

I rent, too, and normally think of it as advantageous, but that's quite a story.

I suppose a lot depends on the [*AHEM*] character of your friendly, local ATF agents.

In any case, I'm glad you made it throught the ordeal, and I look forward to seeing your new listings.

Cheers! :-)

--
[image]

Glad to see you again. You should write it up for

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 16:00 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

THE BOOK! ;-)

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Jack, welcome back! My long-suffering wallet and I...

by Boge Quinn, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:28 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

...are looking forward to helping you!

Dangit Jack, you just HAD to put up a 624 on GB....

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 09:58 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

Glad you're back in business, but you are going to end up costing me serious money sometime.

AND an factory engraved Model 63 AND a Jovino Effector!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 20:20 (4233 days ago) @ Andrew

Be still my heart. I really like my Effector (it might be an Effector copy).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Do you have a new email address?

by matt/pa @, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 10:10 (4236 days ago) @ JLF

tried to send you an email to the address I had and it bounced back... Mine hasn't changed (bigbore45colt @ ptd.net, removing the spaces around the @).

Am interested in that 624 you have listed.

Matt

Sent. n/m.

by JLF @, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 11:38 (4236 days ago) @ matt/pa

You've been missed old friend...

by Murphy @, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 17:14 (4235 days ago) @ JLF

Glad to see you're back up and running again.

If you would, please shoot me an email with your new email and phone number(s). I tried to call you a few weeks back and neither number I had worked.

Hope to see you in Clarkville.

Murphy

RSS Feed of thread