Big day today, plenty of first time events.

by Otony, Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:23 (4237 days ago)

This first part isn't a first however. Yesterday we ordered chickens, 18 layers and 12 broilers. They are due in at the end of April and the beginning of May, depending on the breed. I have to build a couple of coops now. It has been almost 10 years since I last raised chickens, so I will have to put my thinking cap on to recall important, necessary details.

As for the first first ;-) , today we bought a 2-month old Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Labrador cross! This is the first dog fro our family, and since we have moved (mostly) to the big house with acreage, it seemed like a good choice. When we asked about good kid dogs a few months ago, most of you recommended a Lab, but one or two suggested a Chessie, which I honestly thought was ridiculous at first. But we met this puppy's mom, and she was so sweet and gentle we fell in love with her instantly. Our children are 4-years old and 7-years old, so the whole gang will grow up together, as it should be. We almost got two pups, but decided to wait and see how one pup worked out before making that big (BIG!) of a commitment. Now a dog run and a dog house are in order ASAP....like I don't have enough to do!

The second first (?) is my son's Randall! I ordered him a Model 27 Trailblazer on 04/28/08, and it finally arrived today, 02/22/13, just a bit shy of FIVE years later. It has a 5.75" blade, stag handle, brass hilt (with plenty of red, black, and silver spacers), plus a brass end plate with a red spacer both of which are cut to follow the lines of the stag. Full sheath with sharpening stone as well. I have owned and commisioned quite a few custom knives over the years, and while this isn't exhibition grade, it is very nice. It will make a tremendous gift, to say the least.

Vinny hasn't seen it yet, in fact I will probably just store it in the safe for the next few years and give it to him on his 12th or 13th b-day. It has "Vincenzo Aveni" inscribed on the blade, so it is a keeper. The kid doesn't know, but he also has a Winchester Model 70 .243 and a nice Ruger Single Six to look forward to someday besides this. Poor deprived waif.....

Otony

Very happy for your family. The dog will make a

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:42 (4237 days ago) @ Otony

difference their whole lives.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

lucky dog! going to a wonderful family. he will also bless

by cable, Friday, February 22, 2013, 22:55 (4237 days ago) @ Hobie

you folks, i have no doubt! :-P

by uncowboy, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 04:53 (4237 days ago) @ Otony

NEED Pics of the knife. Sounds great.

by Otony, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 10:09 (4237 days ago) @ uncowboy

Later today, pics of the dog and the knife.

Otony

Dogs, something that I have figured out is that they are

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 11:22 (4237 days ago) @ Otony

happier with a couple buddies around and they are easier to maintain. They also protect each other better. Downside Food bill and sh** patrol goes up.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Dogs, something that I have figured out is that they are

by Otony, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 16:53 (4236 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

We are in agreement sir, but I really, really want to see how my chirrun cohabit ate with this critter afore committing to another.

He is a cute one, that is for sure.

Otony

RSS Feed of thread