Colt 1911 experts, please advise.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Friday, February 22, 2013, 12:46 (4238 days ago)

I found a 1955 vintage govt model .45 at a pawn shop. It has been in the case for at least a year. I paid a little extra attention to it last trip in, got the serial number, and thus know the year. Now the ugly bit. It is high polish nickel, with a gold trigger and hammer. The slide has a crown over a "C" on each side, larger than a proof, in line with the roll marks. I'm assuming it was some sort of a presentation piece? Asking price is $895. I'm sure I can get it down around $800. Any Ideas about this thing's origin?

Just a guess...

by FOG, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 02:54 (4237 days ago) @ Andrew

(Aided by Google...), but considering the gold trigger and hammer − which plating was almost certainly aftermarket − it seems at least possible that the "crown over a C" is s hallmark designating silver plating on the rest of the gun.

"References"
Silver Forums at 925-1000.com (First "hit" on Google...)
Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks, & Makers' Marks (First answer in thread...)

See the "MC" set of "Unidentified Silverplate Marks", fourth from top on the left. (NOTE: Site images are copy-protected, so I didn't try to repost them here. You have to visit the Encyclopedia website to see them.)

Since the "MC" set includes a "crown over a C", and because it says "Unknown probably USA" right next to it, I thought it worth going to all this trouble to post what is basically a WAG on my part.

Hope it helps. :-D

--
[image]

I had never thought of silver plate....

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 07:29 (4237 days ago) @ FOG

It certainly hasn't tarnished though, and having been in there so long, I would have thought so. I just may buy it, might be a fun one to get a Colt letter on.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention: I'd advise buying it

by FOG, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 03:11 (4237 days ago) @ Andrew

Unless it's poorly done (for example, over-buffed), I'd probably buy it for $800, change out the hammer and trigger, and call it good.

VERY good, actually, but that's just my opinion; I have no problem with "white" guns and have approximately equal numbers in both traditional colors.

A good '55 Commercial Goverment Model is a bargain at $800, but it isn't worth anything to me if it's an over-buffed wreck, or what have you.

None of my current, very small collection of white guns is "high-polished", but I've owned them before, and I still like them if they're done right.

The gold, though, would have to go. (lol)

--
[image]

Carefull

by JLF @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 12:37 (4237 days ago) @ Andrew

If it hasn't tarnished in over a year in the case, then it likely isn't silver. Having said that, countless old 45s have been stripped and nickel plated with gold cooterments. Texas lawmen loved them and they used to be thick here. So just make double sure it's not such an old redo. In these parts, $800 for such a thing would be around $300 too much.

JLF

JLF's right...

by FOG, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:31 (4237 days ago) @ JLF

In spite of my earlier enthusiasm about it, the gun is most likely in the Boat Anchor Category, and Caution! is definitely the byword.

In addition, a factory letter would almost certainly prove to be a disappointment; it would probably show nothing more than your basic Government Model shipped on such-and-such a date, and so forth.

--
[image]

I never seem to be able to hang onto 1911's anyway.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:42 (4237 days ago) @ FOG

I'm going to put that money towards a Garand. Every boy needs a Garand.

Bully! for the Brown Rifle Days!

by FOG, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 16:35 (4236 days ago) @ Andrew

[image]

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread