When you eat as many chilies as my wife and I...

by pokynojoe, Friday, February 15, 2013, 07:19 (4245 days ago)

It pays to buy in bulk:

[image]

[image]

This shipment just came in yesterday and ought to last us for the year. This is the best place to get chilies for those of you inclined to make your own sauce etc.

[image]

Never been there, don't know nothing about the place, but they grow the freshest chilies, and the lady sounds real nice over the phone.

Joe

Yum!

by Glen, Friday, February 15, 2013, 08:41 (4245 days ago) @ pokynojoe

When you eat as many chilies as my wife and I...

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, February 15, 2013, 11:11 (4245 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I love our green chile better, but I usually by a bushel of red chile as well. I dearly love my chile.

Well...actually Dave...

by pokynojoe, Friday, February 15, 2013, 13:00 (4245 days ago) @ Dave B

These are "Sandia" green chilies. They're allowed to ripen on the vine, and then dried in the sun, as opposed to dried in ovens. That's what makes them so good. Oven drying can, and usually does burn the chili, thus robbing them of flavor. A box like in the photographs usually lasts about a year. They keep just fine in wire mesh box I made lined with cheesecloth or some kind of cloth that allows air flow.

Well...actually Dave...

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 14:35 (4244 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I buy my reds air dried, the greens I buy fresh, and then roast them, I have a huge softspot (also known as my belly) for Hatch green chiles. Ate eggs with red and green chile stuffed in an unhealthy locally made flour tortilla for brunch.

I live just doewn the road from Hatch area in New Mexico

by Gila Jorge, Friday, February 15, 2013, 15:04 (4245 days ago) @ pokynojoe

and they make the best chillies in the country...even when you buy them in cans they come from hatch NM....te absolute best and freshest...you have excellent taste..

Growing up in ABQ across

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 09:15 (4244 days ago) @ pokynojoe

the street from the Wenks of "Wenk Farms" we thought midstate Rio Grande valley chili was best. Then Sichler's and finally the best bags of green in the world came from Togami's the last year before it became a subdivision. That chili was absolutely perfect in all ways. Surprisingly Rocky Ford area ofColorado produces some fine green.

Now it comes in 1 lb packages on a plane from "New Mexico Connection" along with my red . . . Red Chili.

That box looks like many a fine meal from eggs and meat with a red chili sauce to posole and a many a "Bowl of Red" (beans, meat,or mixed)!

I only hope those parts of the valley not buried under houses can hold out an grow Chili for the future, but the farmers get old and retire on subdivided farm money.

Gonna have to give them a call, starting to run low on Red about now anyway.

Yes those of us that like our Chili . . . REALLY LOVE OUR CHILI!

Hey Lou -

by Catoosa, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 10:04 (4244 days ago) @ RidinLou

If you're ever ridin' through Lebanon about lunch of dinner time, try Jalisco. It's just off I-40 at the Watertown exit, south on Highway 70. Good folks and great grub.

Hey Lou -

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 20:12 (4244 days ago) @ Catoosa

Dang I am usually passing thru there eastbound and it is Hardees for biscuit and hit the I'state for east TN. I will keep it in mind though, might be there in the area for something.
So it is heading toward Watertown.

Supposed to be a fish and chip (REAL one like one would find in London) joint there in town too, ever been there.

Hey Lou -

by Catoosa, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 22:40 (4243 days ago) @ RidinLou

If that was Lady Godiva's Pub, it closed a while back. A new place just opened up in the same location, but I haven't tried their fish n' chips (YET!).

Hey Lou -

by Catoosa, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 22:44 (4243 days ago) @ RidinLou

Next exit past 231 where Hardee's is, south toward Watertown about a half mile. Jalisco is in a little strip commercial place on the right.

RSS Feed of thread