Bullet Casting

by Rod M, Sunday, December 25, 2011, 09:06 (4666 days ago)

Well, I have a couple hundred 230 LRN cast up. The lead I'm using is range lead, mostly .22 and jacketed bullets. I assume that what I'm getting once I fish out all the copper jackets is pretty much pure lead. Should I get a hardness tester eventually to get a better idea of what I'm casting?

Rod M

Bullet Casting

by Who....me...??, Sunday, December 25, 2011, 09:18 (4666 days ago) @ Rod M

MOST of what you are getting is NOT pure lead by a long ways. Almost all jacketed bullets have a hardened lead core of somewhere between 2% to as much as 5% antimony.
After than there can be as many as ten other different elements in it's composition. I've only been casting for 50 years and NEVER needed a hardness tester, but whathe'ell do I know...

Bullet Casting

by anachronism, Sunday, December 25, 2011, 15:03 (4665 days ago) @ Rod M

I use my hardness tester to match the lead alloys I have on hand to specific tasks. I seem to be the only guy in the world who does not simply buy wheelweight alloy & use it as is. I often times use scrap from our local indoor range, and alloy it to make what I need for my next casting session. Some guys don't do this, just as some guys don't use chronographs. If your range scrap is like my range scrap, you're likely to see bhn numbers of around 10 for plain old scrap. It normally hasn't go below around 8, or higher than 12. Do add about 2% tin to the mix to allow the moulds to fill out a little better

Bullet Casting

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 08:17 (4664 days ago) @ Rod M

Send me a couple bullets once they're cast & I'll test them for you. I have several boxes of range lead from different sources & the bullets normally test 12-13 BHN after a week or so.

I use an LBT tester & love it but hear the Cabin Tree tester is one of the best. You can find one at the Cast Boolit site.

A generous offer,

by anachronism, Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 18:41 (4663 days ago) @ Creeker

to be certain.

A generous offer,

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 18:59 (4663 days ago) @ anachronism

Remember it's no problem for me.:-)

Bullet Casting

by Rod M, Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 07:46 (4663 days ago) @ Creeker

Thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on it.

I'm only casting for the 45 ACP right now, so I don't think the hardness will be a factor. Before I cast anything for the 454, though, I might invest in a tester.

Rod M

RSS Feed of thread