gun savvy EBR definition

by stonewalrus, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 13:58 (4253 days ago)

I intend to be at tennessee's end Amendment rally tomorrow. In case I get a microphone shoved in my face I want to be able to say they are NOT assault rifles, they are ___. I think the NRA uses the term "modern sporting rifles" but that doesn't reallÝ float my boat either. Any other ideas? I also intend to say I don't own ANY assault rifles and don't intend to - assault rifles are full auto!

Modern Muskets (nt)

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 14:10 (4253 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Weeellll....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 15:18 (4253 days ago) @ stonewalrus

since "assault rifle" has a very specific meaning and does not fit and "assault weapon" is a meaningless expression made up from ignorance, I would fall back to saying, "It's simply a semi-automatic rifle."

That's what I was leaning toward

by stonewalrus, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 15:35 (4253 days ago) @ Hoot

Nm

Fires every time you pull the trigger, so does a DA revolver

by stonewalrus, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 15:37 (4253 days ago) @ Hoot

Nm

Defense rifle.

by AaronB, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 15:39 (4253 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Turns the whole idea 'round if you call it a 'defense rifle.'

-AaronB

Homeland Defense Rifle .nt

by Bob Hatfield @, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 16:29 (4253 days ago) @ AaronB

nt

Family/or personal defense Gun

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 16:40 (4253 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Look at Alan Korwin's gunlaws.com and pagenine.com for definitions.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

ATPD

by Jhenry, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 18:15 (4253 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Anti Tyranny Protective Device

Personal Defense Weapon

by Drago, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 19:25 (4253 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That's what Homeland Security calls theirs!

Or "TTD"

by Drago, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 19:31 (4253 days ago) @ Jhenry

Tyranny Termination Device

DTOM Device

by stonewalrus, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 19:55 (4253 days ago) @ Jhenry

Don't Tread On Me Device

I like that one

by Jhenry, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 19:58 (4253 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I like it because it has a nice ring when said out loud, Dee Tom

personal defense and recreation rifles. PDRRs

by cable, Thursday, February 07, 2013, 22:55 (4252 days ago) @ stonewalrus

:-D

Feeling a mite prickly this morning...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 08, 2013, 07:23 (4252 days ago) @ stonewalrus

so forgive me if I come off that way.

I am bothered by our need(?) to name these arms by their use. Engaging in some play of words and fun is all well and good but having to justify the possession of any particular arm through some need bugs me. I have bolt action rifles. I have single shot rifles. I have semi automatic rifles. Any of them may be used for self defense, hunting, target shooting or just plain fun.

It feels as if we are naming the use of these particular semi automatic rifles to make them somehow more palatable. And that feels to me somewhat like what the "Anti's" are doing; naming these rifles to make them somehow more evil.

I'll go finish my coffee now....

I agree. There is no "need" test in the constitution.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, February 08, 2013, 07:31 (4252 days ago) @ Hoot

nm

I Would Suggest...

by Brian A, Friday, February 08, 2013, 14:21 (4252 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Anyone who wants to discuss the utility of EBRs should take the time to read not only the 2nd Amendment but also the major opinions of the Supreme Court in the Heller and Miller decisions. In those cases it was made clear that the arms specifically referred to in the Bill of Rights, as interpreted by the court, was arms in common use by the nation's military. Since we are all but banned from possessing M16 and M4 rifles the AR family is the next closest thing available. To ban them as well is to totally deny the 2nd Amendment.

True - I have semi auto rifles that I target shoot with,

by stonewalrus, Friday, February 08, 2013, 14:39 (4252 days ago) @ Hoot

Hunt with and if need be would defend hearth and home with. The antis are really anti-self defense. They don't believe we have the right to defend ourselves. I would also be willing to bet that in an altercation one of our box fed semi auto rifles would get a lot more respect than a small handgun and even save the life of the potential shootees by getting them to back off and if not, a lot more decisive in bringing things to an abrupt halt!

RSS Feed of thread