S&W Model 39 Question

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, February 04, 2013, 12:58 (4256 days ago)

Was standing in my local dealer's shop today when a guy brought in an S&W Model 39 for trade-in. Dealer paid him $300 and I bought it (put a deposit down, anyway) for $375, which seems like a pretty good price for a clean one, even without box or papers.

The question: Have any of you used the higher capacity (10 or 11 round) aftermarket magazines in these? Were they reliable or problems?

Thanks.

Rem

S&W Model 39 Question

by Alfred John, Monday, February 04, 2013, 13:08 (4256 days ago) @ Remington40x

I question the reliability of such a magazine for the M-39. It also will ruin the handling and carrying of the pistol. this is a great feeling pistol and does conceal easily. The added advantage over the conventional magazine isn't worth it in my book. I would rather buy a couple or more proper factory magazines and go with them. Just my take on the extended magazines, nothing really against them, just some are over priced. Good luck in your quest and hope you enjoy the model 39. ATB

I agree: Stick with factory magazines.

by FOG, Monday, February 04, 2013, 13:25 (4256 days ago) @ Alfred John

S&W autos are one case where I wouldn't use or recommend anything else.

In the case of the Model 39, I would be happy with either early- or late-production factory magazines.

For example, I'm pretty sure factory magazines for a Model 3906 will work in a Model 39, and they have stainless-steel bodies (albeit at the 'expense' of plastic followers).

In any case, factory mags only.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

I agree: Stick with factory magazines.

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, February 04, 2013, 13:26 (4256 days ago) @ FOG

Thanks guys. That's what I needed to know.

Yes, single stack 9 millimeters are cool

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, February 04, 2013, 15:55 (4256 days ago) @ Remington40x

It makes the statement that you are confident in your coolness under fire and in your aiming and your confidence in your weapon whether you are or not.

I use and carry a Sig P-6 and Walther P-1. Never missed the high cap, but have never used it in the gravest extreme either. A fat gripped Hi-cap gives me the feeling of not being able to use it quickly.

Good Choice

Bob

Hi Pwers and CZs 75 sare the exception...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, February 04, 2013, 16:22 (4256 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Yes, I stand corrected nt

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, February 04, 2013, 19:47 (4256 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

ntxt

I consider the CZ75 and the EAA Witness copy

by stonewalrus, Monday, February 04, 2013, 22:17 (4255 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

A double action Browning - the feel is pretty close.

S&W Model 39 Question

by lee jurras, Hagerman, NM, Monday, February 04, 2013, 17:29 (4256 days ago) @ Remington40x

Have owned several over the years including one of the 900 (all Steel) that were made for General Officers but were never sold to gov't. I'd stay with original magazines. You can remove spring under the rear sight, it piviots either left or right, I forget which. But with the mag removed it then allows the gun to be fired on a chambered round. Could be imporant in a combat situation.

S&W Model 39 Question

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 09:33 (4255 days ago) @ lee jurras

Lee:

Thanks very much for that tip.

Rem

M' Ladies M39.......

by Byron, Monday, February 04, 2013, 18:46 (4256 days ago) @ Remington40x

[image]

Very nice pistol and rig....

Byron

RSS Feed of thread